Gmail, Blacked Out..... Now it's DARK... UPDATED 1/8

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use Apk Manager, unfortunately for Gmail you have to use 4.9.... What are you trying to change?

tgwaste

Reaction score
I use Apk Manager, unfortunately for Gmail you have to use 4.9.... What are you trying to change?

Apk Manager is just a wrapper for Apktool. I am not trying to change anything.. just uncompile/recompile. which apktool version are you using?

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not really sure, which ever one 4.9 uses....

tgwaste

Reaction score
wait.. youre still highlighting the read messages. im not sure why ya'll do that. you want to highlight the messages you have NOT read. :)

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know that I have to edit conversation list activity.xml with a hex editor after I finish the theme.... anytime you edit it any other way it FCs... so I do it last, but I know that after I do it, that's it..... after that you can't change anything else or you get FCs??? don't know why, just does.....

I can post the original if you want and you can stick the original conversation list activity.xml in and you should be good....

tgwaste

Reaction score
ya, recompiling with 1.3.2 makes the app FC on my device. oh well. :)

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The only edit in the xmls is for the read background, the unread background is a smali I believe...

tgwaste

Reaction score
The only edit in the xmls is for the read background, the unread background is a smali I believe...

im not making any edits at all and still cant make it work. :(

any uncompile/recompile breaks it

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason, once the conversation list activity.xml is edited, the app won't decompile/recompile anymore without FCs... its weird but thats just what happens for some reason???

tgwaste

Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason, once the conversation list activity.xml is edited, the app won't decompile/recompile anymore without FCs... its weird but thats just what happens for some reason???

well i have the same problems with the original version as well.

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
e.c., I just loaded your newest update and there's a clear difference between new and read mail. Thank you, it looks awesome!!

MadBob

Reaction score
Sorry about this but is there any way you could reverse these colours? The bulk of emails will always be the read ones, these are the ones that need to be black, this saves power (amoled) the new email would be better the lighter colour. Or better still have all mail black but red text for unread.

Last edited:
OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry guys, the only edit in the app is for read background, the rest is controlled by smali.... and that is a whole 'nother world!!