Gingerbread Theme Resource Thread

OSX2000

Reaction score
Smali is the most frustrating thing to edit!!!!... lol. On the 2 edits I made it compiled up fine but fc's when I open the app.... ugh!!!!!... haha.. I'll work on it some more tomorrow....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Tons of respect to you though for trying. You'll get it eventually. I got so lost in that gibberish, I just gave up on it. I'll stick with xml edits. :p

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah I honestly have no clue how to edit smali files... lol... I lucked out majorly on gtalk but I wanna learn so this is my best resource... doing it... lol.. I found a few background in there but the fc issue sucks cause I don't know what they affected.... but sooner or later, I'll figure it out more.... XML edits are just fun and rather simple so I might join ya on that one!... :)

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok so I was still unsuccessful thus far on the inner bg inside a message... what I did find tho is in layout/HTML_conversation_activity or whatever it's named has all the icons that are on that screen, bottombar,next arrow,the 2 on the bottom left on the bottombar, etc... but there is no bg set so I wrote one in and it compiled, but didn't apply. Tomorrow I'll try pointing the bg to a fullscreen drawable PNG instead of a color code and see if anything happens.... if not, then my hunch is that its a smali in one of the htmlConversationActivity files....

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The bg for those buttons is bottom bar in the drawable hdpi folder...

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The bg for those buttons is bottom bar in the drawable hdpi folder...

Yeah I know that, what i was saying is that in that XML, is everything that is actually on the message screen we can't invert... that's the same XML I wrote in the button text color (even though those weren't the buttons you meant) but I wrote in an actual screen background and pointed it to a PNG I made... when I tapped on a message from the main screen in gmail, my image popped up, but then the white bg took over.... I have a few more ideas but I think if its a smali then it "should" be in the HTML conversation file... somewhere.... I also inverted all the xmls in my framework so that background were black and it worked on facebook, but gmail still had that white one.... but I'm not givin up... I know we can pull it off....

david1171

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is what you after, but I believe after reading some of your comments that it is.

It's in the first part of styles.css in raw-hdpi (add -v4 if apktool'ed the file) and raw-hdpi-v9

Code:
body {
  background: #fff;
  border: 0;
  color: #000;
  font-size: 18px;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;

to

Code:
body {
  background: #000;
  border: 0;
  color: #fff;
  font-size: 18px;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;

the color: #fff line is for the text color, I guess you could set it to some other color that would work on both white and black, but I do not intend to use a black gmail, so I am not going further with it. I was editing other things in styles.css and saw that at the beginning and thought I would give it a whirl since they appeared to be having problems. There appear to be several other background colors that are controlled in this file.

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As far as I can tell that's EXACTLY what we were after..... very nice work man!.... I told ecsnead to look at this so he can determine if its def what we wanted.... thank you very much!

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!! Well, a promise is a promise... you sir, are..........

THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Awesome, gonna give this a go later!

Keep us posted.... ecsnead will prob do a full release of it if all the text works and its clean.... man I love when everyone helps out and something new happens for themers!

david1171

Reaction score
You guys are welcome. Information shouldn't be hidden lol. The biggest thing I when I was using it, was that on certain emails, like when you get a twitter email or something similar where the email has a pre-colored background (usually white of course) is that it changes a lot of the text color to white so that it is unreadable, unless you guys can find a work around or how to code when to use certain text colors in there, it might work better to find a color that will stand out well on both light and dark backgrounds.

Also, if you want to change the purple text that appears for the quoted text, you can find it at
Code:
.elided-text,
.quoted-text {
  color: purple;
}

.gm-elided-text {
  color: purple;
  font: 12px "Droid Sans", Arial, sans-serif; /* 18px/1.5 (hdpi density) */
  padding: 0.5em 0;
you just change the purple to whatever you want, you can use either 3 digit hex or 6 digit just remember to put a # sign in front of it. There is also a yellow color at the very end of the file, but I was unable to figure out what it changes when I mess around with it.

If any of you have the knowledge of where the orange that is used as the selection color around the the buttons and few other parts of the email header, that is what I have been searching for.

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I got it all inverted.... this is just a tester though so report back with any issues.. I already know that it's not completely inverted on compose mail and when you scroll down on an email, the header (I think) turns white again but I'll have ecsnead look at it also and we'll get it 100%... An extreme thanks and credit to david1171 for finding the bg... good job man!

CAP201103041836.jpg

The purple text is because it was quoted but most emails will have white text... and the buttons are stock cause they weren't in ecsnead's blacked out gmail... and I did just use his gmail and added all this to it....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10789872/BlackedOutGmail2.3.4.1_version2.zip <-- download link... it's an update.zip...

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Ok, I got it all inverted.... this is just a tester though so report back with any issues.. I already know that it's not completely inverted on compose mail and when you scroll down on an email, the header (I think) turns white again but I'll have ecsnead look at it also and we'll get it 100%... An extreme thanks and credit to david1171 for finding the bg... good job man!

The purple text is because it was quoted but most emails will have white text... and the buttons are stock cause they weren't in ecsnead's blacked out gmail... and I did just use his gmail and added all this to it....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10789872/BlackedOutGmail2.3.4.1_version2.zip <-- download link... it's an update.zip...

Works perfectly, B-boy and man, is it pretty! LOVE it!!!

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Naw... not right now. I'll be setting one up soon tho....