Gingerbread on May 27th

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
If you root before you update you'll loose root when you update. I don't think you can root ota gb yet.

Sent from my Focused and Crystallized DROID X

Actually, you can immediately turn around and re-root, using z4Root. I just got done doing it yesterday.

-Mike

Wait what? This totally throws a wrench in all my plants, I was just about to update with the 2 part install method to maintain root but if you say z4 root works after OTA update... wtf?

You need to check out the lengthy thread that P3Droid has over on My Droid World - Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone - and other threads (that is is home forum), where he points out that accepting the update or using one of the Team Black Hat versions is made much easier because Motorola did not mess with the bootloader on this update. You *can* immediately re-root after you use SBF to go back to the stock .340 version.

Using the two part installation from Team Black Hat left me with an odexed system, so I subsequently installed the deodexed version (available from that site) and installed it over top of the existing Gingerbread. The only change was my system went from odexed to deodexed - still GB, still rooted, etc.

-Mike

delicious d

Reaction score
my wife is on 588 and i need to get her the 596, she is not rooted just regular leak..what should i download

thanks

Reaction score
This is a fun email I got from VZW support when I asked about the update and when we could expect to see it......

My name is John, and I regret I was unable to find any information on a new software update for the DROID X. I checked our support page for the DROID X and also our New Center (checked the 120 most recent articles) and found no information. I regret I am unable to provide you with any timeline for such a release. I am not disputing what you have read, but I have no information to confirm the information. Below I have included information on the sources I checked, followed by additional information you may find of use.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jbhuskers

Reaction score
This is a fun email I got from VZW support when I asked about the update and when we could expect to see it......

My name is John, and I regret I was unable to find any information on a new software update for the DROID X. I checked our support page for the DROID X and also our New Center (checked the 120 most recent articles) and found no information. I regret I am unable to provide you with any timeline for such a release. I am not disputing what you have read, but I have no information to confirm the information. Below I have included information on the sources I checked, followed by additional information you may find of use.

I was about to start a newb thread saying I haven't got the OTA yet, I'm rooted, and should I a) unroot or b) just wait.....

Guess b) is the answer?

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score

My name is John, and I regret I was unable to find any information on a new software update for the DROID X. I checked our support page for the DROID X and also our New Center (checked the 120 most recent articles) and found no information. I regret I am unable to provide you with any timeline for such a release. I am not disputing what you have read, but I have no informat updatesion to confirm the information. Below I have included information on the sources I checked, followed by additional information you may find of use.

Now that is sad. On the front page of the intranet is "software updates"and it is listed there.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

J_Bone

Reaction score

Maybe because it wasn't from Verizon. It was from the big M on bootup.

Simpdom

Reaction score

I was about to start a newb thread saying I haven't got the OTA yet, I'm rooted, and should I a) unroot or b) just wait.....

Guess b) is the answer?

I believe the masses are expecting a Gingerbread OTA around wednesday or just generally sometime this week. I've gone ahead and set my X back to stock unrooted so that im ready for it just in case this is the real thing...

delicious d

Reaction score
my phone is starting to randomly reboot on the gingerbread 596, its like froyo all over,,,,,rom please now......i wiped all data before update, its super stupid i love customization of the android platform, but times like this make me wonder if this a moto problem or a android problem.....im tired of random reboots, why does nthis happen.....happed twice using the listening to music today

twin_rotor

Reaction score
Couldn't wait for OTA. Installed P3Droid stock OTA on my virgin froyo and everything is ok. It did corrupt my notifications folder, so I just did a hard reset to hopefully squash any other problems.