Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

I don't want to too far ahead of myself but will this technique also work with the bionic?

I was thinking it might but the bionic has a tegra processor, not ti.

does moto themselves lock the phones or does moto ask the processor manufacturer to lock it for them?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Well I looked at what everyone did with kexec and the thing about getting the drivers running is that they're two different kernels which need two different drivers. Really though I'm not worried about that as much--someone else will figure it out as I have never written a driver in my life. My job right now is just getting a stable way to get a kernel running. kexec(8) can do it and has done it with every kernel update on my computers for the past six months. The thing about my approach is that its extendable with a config file that will load the new module that works with the new kernel (modprobe ftw). The current system works-ish in the sdk emulator except that the module is quite crashy. Radio works with the hack on the emulator. The issue is that we need to get motorola's drivers running on other kernels.

So to sum it up: kexec works its just a driver compatability issue.

Sent from my DROIDX

I wish I knew how to write drivers... Ill see if I can learn it...

Have you guys heard of the user DZO over at xda? DZO is a genius with a PhD in computer science. He's the one that pioneered Android on the HTC Vogue (a WinMo phone) and made it possible for all the other winmo htc's to get android (a la HD2, etc). he rewrote all the drivers and such to work with those phones and I'm sure he is smart enough to do this. However, he lives in new zealand i believe and therefore cannot really get an X. Hopefully something can work out with this though...

Yeah pretty much. That stuff is brutal to do and I really don't know if we can find someone willing. We can even have someone write a compatability layer.

Sent from my DROIDX

I know this sounds crazy, but planetbeing, and iPhone developer ported Android to the iPhone (duh!), and he's written several divers for the project. He has a lot of experience with the kernel (That I've read). You may also want to join #droidlife on freenode and see if you can get a hold of birdman, he has been involved in many projects around the android community. And one more person, that I think would be the best to talk to and the most obtainable is Sebastian Kramer at C skills. He's an amazing Linux hacker.

If you need anymore info join:
#droidlife (freenode) or #androidchat (freenode), I'm Webst3r in there, feel free to PM me.

Yeah pretty much. That stuff is brutal to do and I really don't know if we can find someone willing. We can even have someone write a compatability layer.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well I looked at what everyone did with kexec and the thing about getting the drivers running is that they're two different kernels which need two different drivers. Really though I'm not worried about that as much--someone else will figure it out as I have never written a driver in my life. My job right now is just getting a stable way to get a kernel running. kexec(8) can do it and has done it with every kernel update on my computers for the past six months. The thing about my approach is that its extendable with a config file that will load the new module that works with the new kernel (modprobe ftw). The current system works-ish in the sdk emulator except that the module is quite crashy. Radio works with the hack on the emulator. The issue is that we need to get motorola's drivers running on other kernels.

Sent from my DROIDX

Yea I just read their twitter posts...sucks to hear and I know birdman and the nenold guy worked a lot with some other people and got to the exact point that they did with the milestone...kernal loaded but no working radio..between them and the people working on the milestone for over a year im sure they tried every option to get the radio working but never got it so in guessing this is.going to be the same thing...I would loveee to see it happen but who knows...sick of devs moving away from the x because of it. If this thing got unlocked shortly after it was released I couldn't imagine how many amazing roms we would have right now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm sensing a gathering... What if a huge team arose out of all this mess. Planetbeing, nenold, birdman, aliasxerog, DZO, Sebastian Kramer (whoever that is), and maybe we could get CellZealot, Koush, P3Droid, and heck, why not get Team Black Hat in on this. We could make the ultimate team of hackers in the history of Android. LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Did you notice I'm a dreamer?

Sent from my DROIDX

I wish I knew how to write drivers... Ill see if I can learn it...

Sent from my DROIDX

Yea I just read their twitter posts...sucks to hear and I know birdman and the nenold guy worked a lot with some other people and got to the exact point that they did with the milestone...kernal loaded but no working radio..between them and the people working on the milestone for over a year im sure they tried every option to get the radio working but never got it so in guessing this is.going to be the same thing...I would loveee to see it happen but who knows...sick of devs moving away from the x because of it. If this thing got unlocked shortly after it was released I couldn't imagine how many amazing roms we would have right now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm sensing a gathering... What if a huge team arose out of all this mess. Planetbeing, nenold, birdman, aliasxerog, DZO, Sebastian Kramer (whoever that is), and maybe we could get CellZealot, Koush, P3Droid, and heck, why not get Team Black Hat in on this. We could make the ultimate team of hackers in the history of Android. LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Did you notice I'm a dreamer?

But you're not the only one. (See what I did there? ;) )
There is a lot of community interest, and I'm shocked by it. But once we get this stabilized, and get some driver-writers, we can pack some heat. Lets get her done!

Sent from my DROIDX

Spare X

I am looking to help this project out. I am getting a spare X for some of the video tutorials that I do... Please let me know if I can be of ANY help to you! I am not a total guru when it comes to these phones but I can definitely help with my spare that is coming! Let me know what I can do.... I have no problems SBFing with the spare so I don't mind bricking the hell out of it!

Pretty much, but it does mean when I can afford (or am forced) to replace my Droid 1 I won't be looking at a Motorola phone -- unless we own it like we do the HTC devices. :D If this works and grows, we pretty much will, unless they change things for the Bionic et al.

This whole thing is quite interesting. I'm excited to see what we can accomplish, and I'm ecstatic we made it to where we are. This whole thing is just like watching the news that you read about- except we get to be part of it.

Sent from my DROIDX

This whole thing is quite interesting. I'm excited to see what we can accomplish, and I'm ecstatic we made it to where we are. This whole thing is just like watching the news that you read about- except we get to be part of it.

Sent from my DROIDX

I wish I could be a part of it. maybe I could be the cheerleader? :D

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Back