Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I hope so. I really need to get other devs on this to help with the drivers.

It's time to blow this scene...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Proof-of-concept speaks louder than words. If you can get further than the other devs they may see it CAN be done and it SHOULD be done so they'll throw some more effort behind it. Right now the focus is on the ROMs, and they're just glorified themes, so they're trying to get the biggest bang for their buck instead of looking at it for the long haul.

teh_g

Reaction score

Proof-of-concept speaks louder than words. If you can get further than the other devs they may see it CAN be done and it SHOULD be done so they'll throw some more effort behind it. Right now the focus is on the ROMs, and they're just glorified themes, so they're trying to get the biggest bang for their buck instead of looking at it for the long haul.

Yup, hopefully people all catch on and get this off the ground.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It has a pretty big following among the enduser community but not as much with devs. I'm really hoping with a release people will get behind it.

teh_g

Reaction score
It has a pretty big following among the enduser community but not as much with devs. I'm really hoping with a release people will get behind it.

Like furbearingmammal said, the proof of concept will really get the devs to come to action. Even if everything isn't working right away, something is more than we have now. I think you finishing this will be faster than our dreams of brute force hacking the DX.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If someone would like to research this for me...I heard that there's something on the motherboard that disables the hash checks. Could someone post something about it?

Snow02

Reaction score
I'm sure you know this already, but the efuse is part of TI's M-shield onboard security chip. It handles all of the cryptography for secure flashing, drm, etc. I'm not sure how much help they'll be, but I'll look through whatever documentation I can find and let you know if anything looks useful. If you want copies pm me your email.

Snow02

Reaction score
Check out this site. Looks like a TI hosted website for open source OMAP development projects.

https://gstreamer.ti.com/gf/project/

OMAP 3630 Zoom 3 Reference Layout - May be helpful

https://gforge.ti.com/gf/download/frsrelease/265/3149/omap3630_som_rev1.pdf

OMAP 36xx Technical Reference PDF - This is probably closest to what you're looking for.

http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/OMAP36xx_ES1.x_PUBLIC_TRM_vP.zip

That's all I can find. Unfortunately I don't have the requisite knowledge to dig through it. Hopefully it's of some help.

Last edited:

sephtin

Reaction score
I haven't even started working on getting the radios working. I'm worried more on kexec/init stability (which isn't quite there yet) that making phone calls.

Nah, no worries.
I guess I just have hopes/wishes that others will understand that while this is the first step... this isn't something that the vast masses will want to jump on and install right away. It seems many are mis-interpreting that this breakthrough allows full functionality... there's still a long way to go, but atleast this may give us a light at the end of the tunnel to work towards... :)

I just want to be sure that the non-devs that would otherwise rush out and install this understand, that while this IS a magical breakthrough, this isn't the magical fix that will have everyone running cyanogen or miui with full functionality in a few weeks. :p

(sorry if I'm a buzzkill.. just uhmm, trying to properly set expectations).

teh_g

Reaction score
I know I am just excited to see this initial step.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Snow02 thanks dude

MrKleen

Reaction score
The only thing I care about is that someone is still working on this project!

It only takes one person to make big things happen!

letM3in

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a bit and am willing to pitch in and help with what I can. I develop on linux every day, but have never touched the kernel code or drivers, so this will be a learning experience.