Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

teh_g

Reaction score
I dream of a day that we can install custom kernels on the X.

sephtin

Reaction score
I dream of a day that we can install custom kernels on the X.

Don't we all?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I dream of the day a device with dual-core, front facing camera, micro-sd card capable, not locked down, and with a screen as good as the X... replaces my DroidX... personally.. Just me?

I'd wager a small bet that this happens before the boot loader is unlocked for us average users... :p

chazall1

Reaction score
I agree! The way smart phones are so ever changing, the New to market phones, better processors and with nvidia in the picture, I am excited about what faces me when my 20 months are up to replace my DX. I love this phone, and all that the devs have done for us to theme our devices. My re-up date is March 2012, Just try to see where we will be at?????

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Probably me hacking the locked bootloader on that phone.

It's time to blow this scene...

Jordan8

Reaction score
Quick question, what exactly could we do with a unlocked bootloader that we can't now? My understanding was you can undervolt, thus saving battery life. But seems we can do that without it being unlocked?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Run an actual ROM instead of a glorified theme, increase the functionality with a non-stock kernel (they're not just for over/underclocking and voltages), and really get into the guts of it.

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The whole reason I wanted to start work on this was to get a kernel with the ck patchset running on it.

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Alias just announced via twitter the kexec module is almost ready. tomorrow could be the day of breakthrough. Alias, when you release it, please include installation instructions!
Cyanogenmod, here we come!

Sent from my DROIDX

sephtin

Reaction score
Alias just announced via twitter the kexec module is almost ready. tomorrow could be the day of breakthrough. Alias, when you release it, please include installation instructions!
Cyanogenmod, here we come!

Sent from my DROIDX

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Cyanogenmod, minus working radio.. so no phone.. (??). Correct?

Or was someone able to port or reverse engineer those drivers over (?).

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Cyanogen was the first true custom ROM I could think of lol. But that may be true. Custom kernels will be able to be booted when the module is released, so workaroundd may come through. The custom kernels will be called by the stock, so I don't know if that would possibly allow us the ability to utilize aspects from stock in a custom and such. But the possibility exists - a great breakthrough!

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
aliasxerog

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I haven't even started working on getting the radios working. I'm worried more on kexec/init stability (which isn't quite there yet) that making phone calls.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't even started working on getting the radios working. I'm worried more on kexec/init stability (which isn't quite there yet) that making phone calls.

I've been watching this and not saying anything, well, cause I don't know a fraction of what you know. But have to say, where others have failed, I believe you will succeed.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\