Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

SanJuan

Reaction score
wouldn't this passcode be hidden somewhere in this updater?

No. The update is signed by the key. So.. if any changes are made at all to the files that will be updated (the MBM, etc.) it needs to be resigned to work.

The "key" isn't a file or code that's somewhere inside the update.. the entire update is signed, and then when installed it's checked to verify it matches.

so you don't think that there is any way to get into this?

sephtin

Reaction score
wouldn't this passcode be hidden somewhere in this updater?

No. The update is signed by the key. So.. if any changes are made at all to the files that will be updated (the MBM, etc.) it needs to be resigned to work.

The "key" isn't a file or code that's somewhere inside the update.. the entire update is signed, and then when installed it's checked to verify it matches.

Short answer: NO.
If you figure it out though, please enlighten us. :)

I believe I posted this previously.. but it's well written, and worth the read:
Can we stop with the Droid X bootloader already?

So sephtin, in (stupid autocorrect) simple terms it's like the update is built at Moto, signed by their machines/people, sent out to us, and our handsets simply verify the signature?

Something like that.. yes.

The biggest misconception that most people have, is that it's like a physical key.. that the bootloader gets automagically unlocked or something during an update, and then relocked.. It's not like that. If you manage to replace the bootloader/kernel/?? with something that's not signed correctly, the e-fuse on the phone flips, and you get the privilege of buying a new phone.
Edit: (NOTE: probably one that doesn't have a locked bootloader! ;)

That's my understanding of it at least. After what little looking I've done regarding the locked bootloader... the short answer is that the best chance we have, is what alias is working on.. which is to leave the boot files alone, but to piggyback another kernel on top afterwards... essentially. (Again, best description I can give with my limited knowledge of the process).

If it was something that was easy.. it would have been done quite a while ago. Most of the top devs that the X started out with are no longer around... because of the bootloader (birdman, beesley, ... sorry if you belong on the list and I didn't keep going.. ) the list is pretty long, actually..

Anyway, hope this helps, but you get the idea...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The efuse doesn't brick your phone, it just forces a factory reset to get it running again. At least that's my understanding of this notice.

Statement on recent bootloader and eFuse questions - MOTODEV Discussion Boards

Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The DROID X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader.

In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats.

So apparently CyanogenMod is a malicious threat. :rofl3:

sephtin

Reaction score
The efuse doesn't brick your phone, it just forces a factory reset to get it running again. At least that's my understanding of this notice.

Statement on recent bootloader and eFuse questions - MOTODEV Discussion Boards

Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The DROID X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader.

In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats.

So apparently CyanogenMod is a malicious threat. :rofl3:

Interesting.. I read once that e-fuse flipping required moto to connect and reset it. (IE: send it in)... :S

SanJuan

Reaction score

Short answer: NO.
If you figure it out though, please enlighten us. :)

I believe I posted this previously.. but it's well written, and worth the read:
Can we stop with the Droid X bootloader already?

Yes, that was very interesting. Its too bad but ohh well, ill just be satisfied with gummy or hopefully Liberty! for now... or at least untill someone figures out something better :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Interesting.. I read once that e-fuse flipping required moto to connect and reset it. (IE: send it in)... :S

I thought a factory reset would do it. I read that somewhere. Failing that you can't tell me flashing SBF wouldn't do it. :)

sephtin

Reaction score

I thought a factory reset would do it. I read that somewhere. Failing that you can't tell me flashing SBF wouldn't do it. :)

This isn't the original source of what I read.. but it backs what I had read:
How the Droid X is locked down? Let me tell you what I know.

P3 sometimes knows what he's talking about. ;)

p3droid said:
The eFuse is a rewrittable module and thus once it has been tripped it can be repaired but this procedure can only be done by Motorola. It requires hardware (I'm not sure what type) and the program (I'm not sure what Motorola is using) written in JTAG.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I like that input from u both. Im saying and asking cuz I like learning. Sometimes this bootloader causes heated debates and fictitious ramblings so no one learns anything. The e fuse sounds more like a fail safe for consumers. Or at least it's presented that way while serving a dual purpose.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

sephtin

Reaction score

Then, after I post that.. I read this:
Motorola responds to Droid X bootloader controversy, says eFuse isn't there to break the phone -- Engadget

Which (as you stated) mentions that:
If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed.

Anyone feel like testing? ;)
j/k.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Motorola responds to Droid X bootloader controversy, says eFuse isn't there to break the phone -- Engadget

If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed.

j/k.

It has happened to many. You get stuck on a bootloader screen. It is not fixable by the user. You can install a leaked sbf and perform a bunch of hacks to get it working or take it to Verizon and probably kiss you warranty goodbye.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cpjr

Reaction score

j/k.

It has happened to many. You get stuck on a bootloader screen. It is not fixable by the user. You can install a leaked sbf and perform a bunch of hacks to get it working or take it to Verizon and probably kiss you warranty goodbye.

That isn't the efuse chip.......it's user error dude.

sephtin

Reaction score

j/k.

NO. What has happened to many, is they flash a wrong .sbf, or mess something up in software and it boots to bootloader.
That's a software problem, NOT the e-fuse.
Software problems like what you describe are TOTALLY resolvable on the X by .sbf'ing to the correctly .sbf.. e-fuse is not.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I thought the e-fuse was possibly user-resolvable.

Oh, and you can't tell me that if Motorola was worried about a software threat to the phone (except to their own crap OS) that they'd charge for resetting it. What would happen if a VIRUS got loose!!!!

Oh, wait, they know that a virus on Android is virtually a non-issue. So that means it's entirely to prevent hackers from modding the phone. Guess what? A corporation LIED to the public! ;)