Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

This whole thing is quite interesting. I'm excited to see what we can accomplish, and I'm ecstatic we made it to where we are. This whole thing is just like watching the news that you read about- except we get to be part of it.

Sent from my DROIDX

I wish I could be a part of it. maybe I could be the cheerleader? :D

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I'm not much more then PR/web techie/office manager. I didn't really put a whole lot into the kernel itself- I just cobbled the site together to give it a front end and a method of contact.

In other words sure!

We need to get some people working on drivers and such. Do we bribe them? Or do we wait for them to join us? We could have cookies ;) lol

Sent from my DROIDX

This whole thing is quite interesting. I'm excited to see what we can accomplish, and I'm ecstatic we made it to where we are. This whole thing is just like watching the news that you read about- except we get to be part of it.

Sent from my DROIDX

I'm not much more then PR/web techie/office manager. I didn't really put a whole lot into the kernel itself- I just cobbled the site together to give it a front end and a method of contact.

In other words sure!

We need to get some people working on drivers and such. Do we bribe them? Or do we wait for them to join us? We could have cookies ;) lol

Sent from my DROIDX

Depends on what cookies you keep in the jar :)

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

In other words sure!

Sent from my DROIDX

Well... browser cookies most likely since it is a web forum ;)

Sent from my DROIDX

In other words sure!

Sent from my DROIDX

Well... browser cookies most likely since it is a web forum ;)

Sent from my DROIDX

I see what you did there

No, and hope all you want because one Admin might not actually be speaking for the company, but...

2048-bit encryption is so massively overkill to keep any hypothetical "virus" or similar malware from taking over the device as to be laughable. It's beyond NSA specs, for crying out loud. It was put there, plain and simple, to keep us out of their devices.

No, and hope all you want because one Admin might not actually be speaking for the company, but...

2048-bit encryption is so massively overkill to keep any hypothetical "virus" or similar malware from taking over the device as to be laughable. It's beyond NSA specs, for crying out loud. It was put there, plain and simple, to keep us out of their devices.

Yeah but it gives me something to do and a reason to love my nexus one even more than I already do.

How would Motorola even 'help developers'? They should just make an account here at DroidForums, and post the bootloader encryption key. :D

Motorola is the new apple by locking these phones. I appreciate the hard work everyone is doing on this.

Time to take down the MAN

Moto uses asymmetric encryption to sign and verify their software. This is a pretty standard practice in the software industry, and a 2048-bit asymmetric key is not unheard of (was this key length confirmed by someone?). That being said, I agree its primary purpose is to keep them in control of the software on their devices, and I can't blame them for trying... it makes a lot of business sense to do so.

I think this kexec exploit is a legit threat against Motorola's protection scheme, and I believe it is only a matter of time before we have a fully functional kexec'd kernel if we can get the right people working on it. I'm sure Motorola has taken notice, and I would not be surprised if they would prefer to "release" (i.e. sell) a service which unlocks the bootloader and nukes your warranty instead of receiving bad press about their protection being cracked. Maybe, just maybe, a legit threat plus the fallout from a dumb employee's comment will be the special sauce required to get this done.

Here's to wishful thinking.

I'm still trolling this thread waiting for some breakthrough :)
I finally sold my X, and kept my Global. I thought I would only use the Global for, well, when I'm global, but I just ended up using it instead of my X. This whole project would still work though, right? The X, 2, 2Global, and Pro all have the same internals, so this whole kexec thing is still valid? So, it's less "Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X" and more "Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droids Moto ruined"

It should. I think it might just need some porting.

It's time to blow this scene...

Alias, how successful was the release of the Kexec kernal the other day? Did you get any feedback? And what exactly did all this accomplish?

Back