Gb .608 updates won't install

Keebler86

Reaction score
Looks like you had the Bootstrapper installed...

If you have root explorer, or some other root file manager, go to system/bin directory.
Delete the hijack file, and then delete the logwrapper file, and rename the logwrapper.bin file to logwrapper.

That should fix that error.

I have already tried this with no update success.

I have backed up my contacts on the sdcard, and Verizon's backup assistant. I know my contacts are safe. I have on occasion used the CWM to backup (something), which I assume are saved on the sdcard. Can I use these backups once I have SBF'ed to regain all my apps and settings? If not, then I'm not too impressed with ClockWorkBreakMyUpdateMod

tgambitg

Reaction score
I have already done this.

I have backed up my contacts on the sdcard, and Verizon's backup assistant. I know my contacts are safe. I have on occasion used the CWM to backup (something), which I assume are saved on the sdcard. Can I use these backups once I have SBF'ed to regain all my apps and settings? If not, then I'm not too impressed with ClockWorkBreakMyUpdateMod

did you uninstall D2 bootstrap before deleting the files and then reboot?

also, use titanium backup to back up your apps and settings. just backup apps/system/data under batch. then restore....

Keebler86

Reaction score
did you uninstall D2 bootstrap before deleting the files and then reboot?

I believe I uninstalled before I deleted the hijack files and renamed logwrapper, but I do not recall for certain if I rebooted in between.

also, use titanium backup to back up your apps and settings. just backup apps/system/data under batch. then restore....

I am Titanium Backing up right now.

Keebler86

Reaction score
Alright,

Thanks everybody for the help. I was able to SBF using the Linux disc as tgambitg suggested. From there I was able to use the update.zip to get to .607 and from there OTA update to .608! :biggrin: Look at me go.

I will need to reroot and TitaniumBackup restore all my apps & settings because I did a factory reset as I SBF'ed. I was able to root using http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...ows-Linux-OSX)&p=75934#post75934<br /><br />. and now I am up and running.

What did we do before forums?

Keebler86

Reaction score
I have all bloatware on the phone still and never froze or removed anything period.. I just want this fixed. Sooo any help is appreciated

I was having problems updating with the over the air (OTA) update too. Read through my posts in this thread and the help the others have given me. They basically just walked me through it.

lwags67

Reaction score
Here's what I did to update:

On .607, rooted, frozen bloatware, with the CRT/pixel patch.

Make sure to download the .607 update zip from any of various sources, and get the easy sbf boot CD..

Steps as I took them:
TiBu all my apps/system data/everything (just in case)
CWM did a full nandroid backup (again, just in case)
SBF using the linux boot cd method to 2.4.330
power down phone, do NOT let it boot into the OS. (this step is critical for getting these steps to work correctly)
put the update.zip (4.5.607) on the SD card
power up into stock recovery
applied update without wiping anything or factory reset
let the process finish, rebooted phone
went to settings, system, check for updates
downloaded the update file
update went through successfully

All my apps, data, etc. were still in place, all I had to do was re-root, add the bootstrapper back, and reflash the CRT/pixel fix.

Not saying this is an ideal way to do things, but I have no problems. The phone still had every setting, and still smooth as butter. No restoring backups, or TiBuing my apps back... I am happy.

Got to the point of using the linux cd to flash, get in bootloader and all and then the cd requires a login to proceed. Enter does nothing. Did you encounter and what did you do?

VerD2G

Reaction score
So here's something weird.

The OTA automatically was downloading on my way to work. While i was about 15 min away it was on 61% downloaded.
When I got here, still at 61%.
Let it sit a few minutes, still 61%.
Hooked into the wifi here and waited about 10 min and it was still at 61%.

Sooooo I said eff it and rebooted my phone.
When I turned it back on I went to get the OTA again it said I was already downloading my update.... but nothing was downloading!
So I downloaded the full 104 mb update.zip and installed it.
Everything is great except System Update still says there is an update being downloaded.

How can I get that to stop? I'm worried when there is an update down the road I will not be able to get it because it thinks it's downloading already or something.
I have a feeling I'll need to revert to stock and reinstall GB... which is not a big deal just a huge PITA.

Anyone have a solution for this?
It's getting annoying now, I keep getting messages that say 'download failed'

OP
F

Feudalplague

Reaction score
Anyone have a solution for this?
It's getting annoying now, I keep getting messages that say 'download failed'

To solve it have you been downloading on 3G or wifi. 3G can be ridiculous sometimes. your best bet is to be close to your wifi router and just let it download if you havnt done that already. if you are really willing just try and download it from a different location say like 20 minutes away just to see if it isnt the tower in your area.

youve gotta restore to stock if youve done anything to modify the such as clockworkmod recovery. thats just for installing trouble just because itll work better on your freshly stocked phone.

if all else fails just restore to stock and see if that fixes it.

VerD2G

Reaction score
To solve it have you been downloading on 3G or wifi. 3G can be ridiculous sometimes. your best bet is to be close to your wifi router and just let it download if you havnt done that already. if you are really willing just try and download it from a different location say like 20 minutes away just to see if it isnt the tower in your area.

youve gotta restore to stock if youve done anything to modify the such as clockworkmod recovery. thats just for installing trouble just because itll work better on your freshly stocked phone.

if all else fails just restore to stock and see if that fixes it.

Well I think the problem is that I have GB installed already. Like I originally posted, since the DL stuck at 61% (and that was after 15 min both on 3G and wifi) I had to reboot my phone (didn't have an option to cancel the OTA DL). After that I tried OTA again and it kept saying there was an update DLing... but nothing was DLing.

It's been three days or so now, so I highly doubt it wouldn't have finished by now (I'm on wifi when at work and at home, so that's at least 50% of those 3+ days).

Figured reverting to stock would likely fix it, I think it's something stuck in the phone memory now. Will reverting to stock take me back to Froyo?
If so, not a big deal as I still have the manual GB update file.

silver6054

Reaction score
Well I think the problem is that I have GB installed already. Like I originally posted, since the DL stuck at 61% (and that was after 15 min both on 3G and wifi) I had to reboot my phone (didn't have an option to cancel the OTA DL). After that I tried OTA again and it kept saying there was an update DLing... but nothing was DLing.

It's been three days or so now, so I highly doubt it wouldn't have finished by now (I'm on wifi when at work and at home, so that's at least 50% of those 3+ days).

Figured reverting to stock would likely fix it, I think it's something stuck in the phone memory now. Will reverting to stock take me back to Froyo?
If so, not a big deal as I still have the manual GB update file.

If you go to Settings>About Phone it will tell you the OS version. If it says Android version is 2.3.3 then yes, you are running GB. System version tells you which version of that Android release, probably begins 4.5.608 (for gingerbread) of 2.4.330 (if it's froyo)

Reverting back to stock with an SBF will return you to Froyo, and then you should be able to install GB. A factory reset probably won't be enough, depending on exactly what is making the phone want to download.

VerD2G

Reaction score
If you go to Settings>About Phone it will tell you the OS version. If it says Android version is 2.3.3 then yes, you are running GB. System version tells you which version of that Android release, probably begins 4.5.608 (for gingerbread) of 2.4.330 (if it's froyo)

Reverting back to stock with an SBF will return you to Froyo, and then you should be able to install GB. A factory reset probably won't be enough, depending on exactly what is making the phone want to download.

Oh yeah I already know I'm definitely on GB, it's just that stupid System Update trying to download what I already have haha.

I'll look into a factory reset sometime soon, and if that doesn't work I'll figure out how to SBF it (still haven't looked into any of that yet).
Eventually I'll root with the D3 trick, but that's not till I get this straightened out lol

Thanks

kptphalkon

Reaction score
you should have to sf back to froyo, do not root or bootstrap, then try updating. to root GB use the do method

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

moreyos

Reaction score
I am currently on the leaked Gingerbread version before the initial OTA release. It works pretty well for the most part but its time to get back to a stock rom now that GB is released. Should I wipe anything in recovery before or after I go back to froyo and then update OTA? Thanks

kevdliu

Reaction score
dont know if this has been posted before but just in case i solved the status 7 error with a data wipe from stock recovery.