Update 4.5.608 keeps failing

kamikazi

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 Global, currently running system version 2.4.330.A956 and Android Version 2.2

I had previously rooted it with Z4root so I could uninstall bloat software with titanium backup and to use wifi tether. I have since unrooted with Z4root.

never installed bootstrap or whatever that is people keep talking about

My issues as of right now are:
1. the update keeps failing
and..
2. when i tried to update again after it failed it goes through the download process again even though it has already downloaded it the first time.

What do I need to do to get this update installed? Thanks

Last edited:

Benton

Reaction score
I think restoring the bloat may be the answer, I am too far removed from 330 now to recall all the specifics and others may chime in with better detail.

OP
K

kamikazi

Reaction score
I think restoring the bloat may be the answer, I am too far removed from 330 now to recall all the specifics and others may chime in with better detail.

Well I was thinking that might be the problem. I did a factory reset and everything is back, re-downloaded the update and went to install but...

still failed! this is so aggravating

leobg

Reaction score
If you ever uninstalled a system app factory reset will not bring it back. Easiest way to fix this problem is simply to reflash 2.4.330 SBF takes 10 minutes and does not erase your data. Once done, proceed with the OTA update.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

romeo

Reaction score
If you ever uninstalled a system app factory reset will not bring it back. Easiest way to fix this problem is simply to reflash 2.4.330 SBF takes 10 minutes and does not erase your data. Once done, proceed with the OTA update.

Really, I'm new at this so can you give details? Everything I've read indicates that doing a reflash resets the device to a factory reset.

leobg

Reaction score
Really, I'm new at this so can you give details? Everything I've read indicates that doing a reflash resets the device to a factory reset.

SBF process does not format data partition. Your settings will remain after the SBF. What SBF will do is to bring /system partition back to stock. Which is the requirement for the update to succeed.
Check the sticky threads for how to perform it, or check in development thread ezSBF for Droid 2 Global. That's a CD you boot from which is specifically designed to SBF your phone without having to worry about drivers or RSDlite or anything. Check it out.

romeo

Reaction score
SBF process does not format data partition. Your settings will remain after the SBF. What SBF will do is to bring /system partition back to stock. Which is the requirement for the update to succeed.
Check the sticky threads for how to perform it, or check in development thread ezSBF for Droid 2 Global. That's a CD you boot from which is specifically designed to SBF your phone without having to worry about drivers or RSDlite or anything. Check it out.

So this screen means what???

Last edited:

leobg

Reaction score
Did you complete the flash process? Wiping data is not a requirement. Simply reboot the phone and check for updates so you receive the 608 update again.

romeo

Reaction score
Did you complete the flash process? Wiping data is not a requirement. Simply reboot the phone and check for updates so you receive the 608 update again.

Ok TNX, I'll give a try, :)

romeo

Reaction score
Ok TNX, I'll give a try, :)

Many thanks to leobg !!! No lost data!

My D2G had z4Root and Superuser installed along with ClockworkMod so the OTA update kept failing.
At first I tried uninstalling these apps, but still the OTA would fail.

After doing a complete restore of my device using CWM, here is what I did:

1.) RSDLite flashed to DROID2WEg_X6_2.4.9_FULL (for the correct way to do it, see: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html )

2.) Rebooted and got a "Blue Triangle" for signal strength so I need to reactivated my phone by calling Verizon at *228 then press 1.

3.) I manually started the Verizon OTA update, download and install:

Success "Your phone was upgraded to 2.4.330.en.US version"

4.) On reboot, an OTA update started again and did a download and install:

Success "Your phone has been upgraded to 4.5.608.en.US version"

Again, many thanks to leobg and others on this forum for the help.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Many thanks to leobg !!! No lost data!

My D2G had z4Root and Superuser installed along with ClockworkMod so the OTA update kept failing.
At first I tried uninstalling these apps, but still the OTA would fail.

After doing a complete restore of my device using CWM, here is what I did:

1.) RSDLite flashed to DROID2WEg_X6_2.4.9_FULL (for the correct way to do it, see: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html )

2.) Rebooted and got a "Blue Triangle" for signal strength so I need to reactivated my phone by calling Verizon at *228 then press 1.

3.) I manually started the Verizon OTA update, download and install:

Success "Your phone was upgraded to 2.4.330.en.US version"

4.) On reboot, an OTA update started again and did a download and install:

Success "Your phone has been upgraded to 4.5.608.en.US version"

Again, many thanks to leobg and others on this forum for the help.

Hello. Is the OTA update failure when I'd wake up in the morning to find my phone on with a black screen and intense green letters saying to reboot my phone, several other processes below that and ClockWorkMod half way down the screen? I have z4Root installed along with Superuser and BloatFreezer. Was Verizon trying to upgrade my phone while I slept? I haven't really done anything with my phone after I rooted it. I froze a couple of apps but that's about all.

If it isn't the upgrade, what could it be doing this stuff on it's own. Thanks.

IDiggity

Reaction score
stock apks

I'm almost in the same boat as the OP. I'm stuck on Verizon 2.4.330 because I deleted some of the bloatware with Titanium Backup. I was able to get back CityID and SkypeMobile apks using somebody's dump from a D2G, but the following 4 files associated with Backup Assistant won't seem to take:

BackupAssistanceClient.apk
BackupAssistanceClient.odex
BuaContactAdapter.apk
BuaContactAdapter.odex

I have gotten them copied into /system/app and set the right permissions (rw-r--r--) using RootExplorer, but unlike the other stock apps these ones won't install.

When I try to manually update to 4.5.608 with update.zip from the SD card, it looks like it halts on a version check error for BackupAssistanceClient.apk and then just reboots into 2.4.330.

Could anybody be so kind as to point me towards verified stock versions of those 4 files from 2.4.330? Or maybe tell me how to extract them from the 2.4.330 SBF?

Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks all.

silver6054

Reaction score
I'm almost in the same boat as the OP. I'm stuck on Verizon 2.4.330 because I deleted some of the bloatware with Titanium Backup. I was able to get back CityID and SkypeMobile apks using somebody's dump from a D2G, but the following 4 files associated with Backup Assistant won't seem to take:

BackupAssistanceClient.apk
BackupAssistanceClient.odex
BuaContactAdapter.apk
BuaContactAdapter.odex

I have gotten them copied into /system/app and set the right permissions (rw-r--r--) using RootExplorer, but unlike the other stock apps these ones won't install.

When I try to manually update to 4.5.608 with update.zip from the SD card, it looks like it halts on a version check error for BackupAssistanceClient.apk and then just reboots into 2.4.330.

Could anybody be so kind as to point me towards verified stock versions of those 4 files from 2.4.330? Or maybe tell me how to extract them from the 2.4.330 SBF?

Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks all.

Any reason not to just do the SBF? My concern would be that once you get those four files, the update process might fail because it needs yet another file.

IDiggity

Reaction score
Any reason not to just do the SBF? My concern would be that once you get those four files, the update process might fail because it needs yet another file.

Only because I'm a little bit lazy and I'm afraid if I do the SBF I'll lose something I didn't backup properly. I figure those are the only files I changed, and I've got all but those last two stock apps back in place. If putting those back doesn't work, I'll have to choose between staying behind or doing the SBF.