Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hate to be the debbie downer here, but I HIGHLY doubt there will be a recall for such a minor issue. By minor I mean not widespread. More than there should be, but not nearly enough for a recall. The iPhone4 reception issue was on every single phone, so a recall was justified. Only people I know with busted screens are a handful on internet forums. More likely than not it was a bad batch of release phones from some factory in the middle of Wisconsin or something. What is likely is they'll finally acknowledge it and just send you a replacement through.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hate to be the debbie downer here, but I HIGHLY doubt there will be a recall for such a minor issue. By minor I mean not widespread. More than there should be, but not nearly enough for a recall. The iPhone4 reception issue was on every single phone, so a recall was justified. Only people I know with busted screens are a handful on internet forums. More likely than not it was a bad batch of release phones from some factory in the middle of Wisconsin or something. What is likely is they'll finally acknowledge it and just send you a replacement through.
Wonder how many people got sent a replacement?,not many.Most of them are being billed by Samsung.Wonder if some of us would make some of these comments,if our screens where cracked?,and that question is not directed @ you are your comment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I doubt anyones gotten a replacement at this point because as far as I've read Samsung still hasn't acknowledged it. Which I think really, really sucks. I'd definitely feel the same way (I've been in similar situations before), but just be way more disappointed by it. I do think Sammy will do something eventually, just no telling when, and it won't be a recall.

Stack 20,000,000 GS3s on top of each other. Then look at how many people you can find with this issue. It's just not very common for whatever reason. A very unique issue thats for sure...

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyones gotten a replacement at this point because as far as I've read Samsung still hasn't acknowledged it. Which I think really, really sucks. I'd definitely feel the same way (I've been in similar situations before), but just be way more disappointed by it. I do think Sammy will do something eventually, just no telling when, and it won't be a recall.

Stack 20,000,000 GS3s on top of each other. Then look at how many people you can find with this issue. It's just not very common for whatever reason. A very unique issue thats for sure...

+1 on the unique.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Does anyone who has had the mysterious cracked screen by the home button think that the issue could have been avoided by using a screen protector? Do screen protectors even cover that area of the phone?

bjorn65

Reaction score
I am have a cracks from face camera to /4 down the right side of phone. I still have my droid x, droid razr, and never cracked I have a face cover on my S3. I just woke up and found it cracked one morning. Then read the blog on the G3 with cracked screen.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am have a cracks from face camera to /4 down the right side of phone. I still have my droid x, droid razr, and never cracked I have a face cover on my S3. I just woke up and found it cracked one morning. Then read the blog on the G3 with cracked screen.
Seems to me this is a bigger problem then we realize.

Sputnik9

Reaction score
Cracked Screen with Screen Protector!

IMG_20120914_075040.jpg
Does anyone who has had the mysterious cracked screen by the home button think that the issue could have been avoided by using a screen protector? Do screen protectors even cover that area of the phone?

Mine had a screen protector that covered the entire phone. The one the Verizon rep installed the day I got the phone. When I returned the phone to the insurance company, the screen protector was still on it. Mine lasted 7 hours.

Tashfeen

Reaction score
Very fragile screen, with replacement screen around $350, almost half the price of a new one, criminal.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I disagree that it's a very fragile screen. I've had some pretty hefty drops that it survived without a scratch. I do think the random cracked screens are a real issue, but personally I DON'T believe it's as widespread as people think.

Remember, 20,000,000+ of these things have sold.

firstG1

Reaction score
I found this forum when searching for people with the S 3 that have been having a problem with the screen cracking on its own. I pulled mine off the charger this morning and the screen had a diagonal crack alone the upper left corner. When I got to work, I looked at it again and it developed another crack that go’s from the middle of that crack up to the corner. This phone is only five day old, I have never dropped it, I only have the flip cover on it, and I always carrier it in my coat pocket since it has started getting cold up here in the upper Midwest. I will call Verizon today and see if they will do anything for me, if only to get the complete registered. I will post back and let you know what happens.

GollyJer

Reaction score
Can cracked phones possibly be happening more with white vs blue?
I bought myself a blue S3 and my wife a white. Her's cracked and I paid the $100 for replacement. After 2 days her replacement cracked. She has a case on it and carries it in her purse. She promises up and down that she didn't bang it into anything or bend it in any way. Now I have to deal with Asurion for the second time in a week. I'm guessing they won't cover it.

Interestingly both the phones that cracked were white. My blue phone, which I carry in my front pocket and probably gets torqued 10x as much as hers, hasn't had a problem. Maybe the white is more fragile for some reason?

Blue vs White cracked screen poll?

DroidNOOB5

Reaction score
My screen is a corner crack also. White phone. Screen protector and otterbox on it with no drop, bang, nada. Still have it cuz I wasn't too keen on paying $100. To replace it when I did nothing. It was under 10 days old.

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Didn't the white models come later? I thought all the S3s were pebble blue initially and they added the white model later. I'm sure the color itself has nothing to do with it, obviously, but perhaps the fabrication process was changed when they added the new color to the line. (Or maybe the whites are produced at a factory where there's substandard quality control? Products from the same company are often made in different factories and even different countries.)

GollyJer

Reaction score
<snip>... I'm sure the color itself has nothing to do with it, obviously, but perhaps the fabrication process was changed when they added the new color to the line. (Or maybe the whites are produced at a factory where there's substandard quality control? Products from the same company are often made in different factories and even different countries.)
Yeah, that is my thinking.