anyone with a newer SIII have a cracked screen

mom22boys

Reaction score
I am considering getting the Samsung S3, but an worried about the cracked screens. Someone said they thought it was just the ones sold at first. Maybe a bad batch. I keep phones for a couple years and just don't want a cracked screen. I just wonder if anyone has had thus happen who bought their phone in 2013. Thanks!

jseah

Reaction score
The SIII came with Gorilla Glass 2, which was made lighter and thinner by Corning. The problem was that this resulted in the screen being more fragile and prone to cracking if dropped and the phone hit the ground the right way. I don't think it has anything to do with a bad batch.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
False and could not disagree mroe jseah. And it's misinformation like this that's discouraging a lot of people from the best smartphone experience they've ever had.

There are two threads about randomly cracked screens on the first page. Why make another? They are long because they have everything you need to know in there. Since the release, the randomly cracked screen reports have dropped about 95%. Some people say it just happened to them but didn't say if it was a new phone. However the fact it just dropped off is proof enough it was a batch specific manufacturing defect. In those threads you will also find dozens of examples of people dropping their phones from various heights onto various surfaces with not so much as a scratch.

Now of course you can drop the phone 100 times but it only takes 1 in the right spot to crack. I have a coworker with an iPhone 5 who cracked her screen. I also have a coworker with a GS2 with a cracked screen (meaning it has nothing to do with the glass being "lighter and thinner"). Point is....they can crack. Any smartphone can. However I can just about guarantee that no new S3, from the past 4-5 months, will randomly crack.

Last edited:
OP
M

mom22boys

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I read through a lot of the other links about the cracked screens. I just could not get a good idea of how old the phones were.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Thanks for the replies. I read through a lot of the other links about the cracked screens. I just could not get a good idea of how old the phones were.

But if you go back a few months, you'll see waaayyyy more people saying "oh I've only had it a week," which suggests the problem has decreased dramatically since back then people were pointing out they just got it, whereas now people are just saying it cracked in much fewer numbers.

I think the fact 99.8% of the S3 users I read about and know have dropped their phone with no problem is proof enough this is a single factory defect....considering it happens randomly.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
I got my G3 about two months ago. I have had no issues with the phone including the screen. I do not have a screen protector on my phone as well as always carrying my phone in my right front jean pocked. I have NEVER dropped my phone nor any other phone that I have had in the last 5 years.

jamjr74

Reaction score
I got my s3 the day it was released! No issues at all!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Brian72

Reaction score
I think a big part of this issue is the marketing of Gorilla Glass. People are led to believe that is it unbreakable. In reality, the only thing it does is improve scratch resistance. An impact in the right spot and it will shatter - on any phone.

I had similar concerns when I bought by S3 but I'm glad I didn't let it change my mind. I'm careful with my phones, use an Otterbox Commuter, and have had no issues from a couple of minor pocket height drops. I did however decide to buy the insurance because I have a toddler who loves to throw anything he can get his hands on.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Got my gs3 early November, went to a party this past Saturday night, got so **** faced and woke up with scratches, dings, and a small crack on it. So pissed but that's what I get for not having a case, don't even remember how it got dropped. Now I want to get a replacement screen

Sent from my SGS3 using Droid Forums

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is that if you DROP a phone with a BIG GLASS SCREEN on a HARD SURFACE, there is a big change it will BREAK, it's still glass after all. Corning Gorilla glass is just like any other fortified glass, it reduces the chances of the accidental scratch, but it does not state anywhere that it is shatter proof. And another thing, do not believe everything you read on the web.

Last edited:

micesky

Reaction score
I got my phone in October and when i dropped it, the screen SHATTERED.
Of course this is reasonable since I did drop it on concrete from about waist height.

It is a great phone, but I'd suggest you at least get a case for it. (although mine still cracked with a case)