Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Within the last two weeks my son's and daughter's screens have cracked on their new S3s. They are college students. My daughter is extremely careful and has had only two phones since middle school without any damage. She did not have a case. My son has a case and still the screen cracked within one month of use. They have had many handheld devices for years without replacements for damage (ipods, phones). Now that I have replaced both phones under the insurance plans from t-mobile should I have them switch them out for a different phone?

I would suggest putting a screen protector and a case on both your children's phones. All new smart phones, if dropped the wrong way, will crack so the best bet is to be as safe as possible.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Teens tend to carry their phones in there pocket. The bigger the phone is, the more likely it can get a 'pressure' break. The phone in the front pocket, you sit down, and the phone get pressure from tightness. At least you made the right choice in getting insurance. I encourage all people I see that carry their phones in pants pocket to get an Otterbox case. You won't use the belt clip, but the case helps minimize a pressure break.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
now those are some skinny jeans

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Teens tend to carry their phones in there pocket. The bigger the phone is, the more likely it can get a 'pressure' break. The phone in the front pocket, you sit down, and the phone get pressure from tightness. At least you made the right choice in getting insurance. I encourage all people I see that carry their phones in pants pocket to get an Otterbox case. You won't use the belt clip, but the case helps minimize a pressure break.

Benefit of the doubt, I'm going to assume you're referring strictly to skinny jeans. I've kept my phone in my pocket for 11 years now. Has always been the safest place for it. Biggest downside of leaving it in your pocket is when you take you forget about it and take your pants off. Then you're running around the house looking for your phone in your underwear...:blink:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Benefit of the doubt, I'm going to assume you're referring strictly to skinny jeans. I've kept my phone in my pocket for 11 years now. Has always been the safest place for it. Biggest downside of leaving it in your pocket is when you take you forget about it and take your pants off. Then you're running around the house looking for your phone in your underwear...:blink:

do like me and only wear basketball shorts so if u forget ull hear the phone hit the ground lol

debrad0307

Reaction score
I'm sorry... I just can't and I don't believe that a screen cracks on its own. That would be like a kid breaking a glass and then saying "it broke on its own mommy" to avoid getting in trouble. I think maybe the OP is making up a bogus story in order to get a replacement. .: shrugs:.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry... I just can't and I don't believe that a screen cracks on its own. That would be like a kid breaking a glass and then saying "it broke on its own mommy" to avoid getting in trouble. I think maybe the OP is making up a bogus story in order to get a replacement. .: shrugs:.
You done gone and done it now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MaxPain

Reaction score
Have the same problem with my digitizer mysteriously cracking

[video=youtube;N5KxsniG_NM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5KxsniG_NM&list=HL1347997485&feature=mh_lolz[/video]

DroidNOOB5

Reaction score
I am not the OP but am extremely offended. I didn't make up my story. I am the first to admit when I do something wrong but this I did not. I had an otterbox and stealth screen protector on it. No drop, slip, bump, nothing. My screen cracked. Period. I still think that it had something to do with the otterbox being so tight but who will ever know for sure.

Karma is a beeee. Perhaps a screen will crack in your future and you'll know we are not liars and irresponsible phone owners.
:banghead:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

I really hope people can keep their heads about them like the poster above after you come in here and call everyone liars. Get off your high horse and realize that in the tech world s happens all the time.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

MaxPain

Reaction score

Not true, a faulty phone could overheat due to a hardware issue and cause the screen to crack. Some say their gorilla glass cracked, my digitizer or touch panel cracked
which is a lot more fragile, even with that said overheating can do damage to either imo.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

unfortunately complaining on the forum won't get you a new phone... so if its 20 out of 20 million complaining I'm hardly concerned... even if it was 2000 that it happened too

anjab

Reaction score
i've also had this issue. I just pressed the home button on my S3, and then it cracked. I thought i was stupid, because how can a screen just crack? But then i searched on google, and found out that others have had the same experience.
I went to the store where i bought my s3, and the seller said that he would call their samsung consultant. Then he called me back a few days later, just to tell me that it wasn't a known issue. Then i decided to call samsung myself, but i got the same result. I think that it's some kind of manufacturing issue. All i can do is to live with a broken screen, or pay for the repair, which i think is extremely bad customer service. I really love my Samsung Galaxy s3, but this just ruins it for me, and i don't want to spend a lot of money on repairing my screen, when all i did was to press the button :(

cdtdes

Reaction score
Normally I would be like the rest of you (no way does the glass break on it own) But! It has happened to me, screen developed a crack from the home button to the right hand side, I watched it move across the screen. Hasn’t gone all the way through the glass, can’t feel the crack on the outside with you nail, its started from the inside.
Anyway took it back to the shop to show them, told me very unusual, but their repair centre would just say its damaged and would not replace the glass without it incurring costs. Told me to send it back to Samsung for them to look at and he thought they would replace it under warranty.
Ye right I thought, but guess what? Yep good guess they sent me a letter to tell me it was broken and would cost £139.99 to replace the glass. Phoned them and told em I already knew it was broken didn’t need to send it off to discover that fact. I want it replaced under warranty I said, the screen is faulty! Told me they have “get this” special microscopes that tell them how the damage was done… I S**T you not. After I finished laughing I asked what their special microscopes had found to have caused the damage?....................Err we don’t have that information only the service engineer and he has said its not a warranty claim, so there is nothing we can do.

So I have an s3 with a cracked screen that I will not be paying to have replaced when It could happen again and again, think I just wait till the s3 gets recalled to have the faulty glass replaced or the insurance company’s get pissed off with Samsung and demand a recall.
del

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Normally I would be like the rest of you (no way does the glass break on it own) But! It has happened to me, screen developed a crack from the home button to the right hand side, I watched it move across the screen. Hasn’t gone all the way through the glass, can’t feel the crack on the outside with you nail, its started from the inside.
Anyway took it back to the shop to show them, told me very unusual, but their repair centre would just say its damaged and would not replace the glass without it incurring costs. Told me to send it back to Samsung for them to look at and he thought they would replace it under warranty.
Ye right I thought, but guess what? Yep good guess they sent me a letter to tell me it was broken and would cost £139.99 to replace the glass. Phoned them and told em I already knew it was broken didn’t need to send it off to discover that fact. I want it replaced under warranty I said, the screen is faulty! Told me they have “get this” special microscopes that tell them how the damage was done… I S**T you not. After I finished laughing I asked what their special microscopes had found to have caused the damage?....................Err we don’t have that information only the service engineer and he has said its not a warranty claim, so there is nothing we can do.

So I have an s3 with a cracked screen that I will not be paying to have replaced when It could happen again and again, think I just wait till the s3 gets recalled to have the faulty glass replaced or the insurance company’s get pissed off with Samsung and demand a recall.
del
I hope there is a recall so you guys can get your phones fixed.Samsung needs to to admit there's a problem with these screens and Gorilla Glass needs to step up also.Those of us who are blessed to have screens that are not broken,should stand with those of you, who have experienced broken screens,cos this could happen to any of us.Is there a petition out?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2