Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am reading all these posts on cracked screens for S3s and it had me worried (just got mine last week and am THRILLED by it!). Just a thought, throwing it out there, it seems a lot of people use these very tight cases on their new phones. I'm wondering if this doesn't cause stress on the very thin frame of the S3 and if using a case on ones S3 isn't counter-productive.

I'd considered buying something but first thought I'd only get something that was softer rubber and now I'm thinking of not getting anything at all.

hmmm may be possible... a lot of ppl did say they had cases on it... but my guess would be that there was a bad batch.. when I got my DROID1 it bricked itself in 2 days of use... no rooting or anything other than downloading apps and making calls... getting the first wave of phones seems to be like getting a first year car.... a lot more issues than later models

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Tailgun said:
I am reading all these posts on cracked screens for S3s and it had me worried (just got mine last week and am THRILLED by it!). Just a thought, throwing it out there, it seems a lot of people use these very tight cases on their new phones. I'm wondering if this doesn't cause stress on the very thin frame of the S3 and if using a case on ones S3 isn't counter-productive.

I'd considered buying something but first thought I'd only get something that was softer rubber and now I'm thinking of not getting anything at all.

U know u could be right. Maybe everyone that posted or posts about their screen being cracked by itself should post what type of case if any was being used. That will narrow that down. My parents both have a S3 and use the Otterbox Defender, my dad is pretty hard on phones, I swear he is, his takes a beating everyday and so far they have both held up. I was worried and well aware of this thread when they bought them but knock on wood the S3 has been durable for them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
sweeeeet said:
hmmm may be possible... a lot of ppl did say they had cases on it... but my guess would be that there was a bad batch.. when I got my DROID1 it bricked itself in 2 days of use... no rooting or anything other than downloading apps and making calls... getting the first wave of phones seems to be like getting a first year car.... a lot more issues than later models

Lol but you could also be right as well, just maybe a bad batch.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Lol but you could also be right as well, just maybe a bad batch.

I really think it is a bad batch. With over 20 million sold around the world through three months with the exact same physical design, Samsung would have had to acknowledge it if it was more than that.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
I really think it is a bad batch. With over 20 million sold around the world through three months with the exact same physical design, Samsung would have had to acknowledge it if it was more than that.

Yeah u guys have a point. Either way I'm not letting it stop me from buying the Note 2 :)

huskur

Reaction score
Yeah u guys have a point. Either way I'm not letting it stop me from buying the Note 2 :)

I have had the SG3 since it debuted and it has been stellar! I WILL be upgrading to the Note 2 as soon as it is available!!!!

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
hell yea@ note 2

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
This *may* help narrow it down too. I got an S3 and it said "updated" on the box. How many of those have cracked? That can at least help see if it's more prone to the older ones or the newer ones.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
One thing to understand that the glass of samsung S3 is not totally flat. I believe that it has a slight curve and that could be an issue that they did not count on!

It hasn't been an issue for the Nexus S or the Galaxy Nexus, both of which have similarly slightly curved screens. That said, the screen on the S3 is larger than the screen on both of those phones, and it's also Gorilla Glass 2, which is slightly thinner (but also supposedly stronger) than Gorilla Glass.

I still think it's caused by some sort of manufacturing flaw in a small batch of devices.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
The majority of boxes, ordered and store bought, will say updated. Mine did, my friends did, and neither of our screens have busted.

I do like the case theory though, can more people weigh in on that?

Sputnik9

Reaction score
Additional Information on Cracked Screen and Case with Pictures

I'm posting pics of the phone and the case. The case was really more of a stand because I was actually going to order a Otterbox for the phone from Amazon. However, there are quite a few people who DID use the Otterbox and felt that may have put too much pressure on the phone. Well, no pressure from my case and it still happened. Also, for whatever reason, most of the phones it happened to were the blue ones. I did also read that they had a problem with the phone casing cracking on the blue ones and this created a delay in the color coming out. I will also mention that my phone did feel hot when I took it off the charger. I can't say abnormally hot because I really don't have a point of reference - since it happened the very same day I got it. Not hot enough to drop it but definitely hot enough to get my attention. Verizon said it's a larger phone so that's expected? The screen protector installed at the store is still on it but you can see the cracks. Also, the cracks are on both sides of the phone. I angled it so you could see the pattern. Summary - Lightweight case, screen protector, sat on desk the entire time I had it. Also, the box that mine came in did not have the Update sticker.

Attachments

• IMG_20120914_074229.jpg
    IMG_20120914_074229.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 4,228
  • IMG_20120914_075040.jpg
    IMG_20120914_075040.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_20120914_075146.jpg
    IMG_20120914_075146.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 730

streetlight22

Reaction score
I have had the blue one with the incipio case and screen protector since july and the box did say updated and ive droped it ay least 10 times and it doesnt even have a scratch on it

pleezzzz

Reaction score
Dropped mine ten or more times from 4feet or more, clumsy I know but got two cases, always when I buy a new phone, HTC to droid to this one, I buy two cases, one for looks and one for my clumsiness, never had a phone bust on me, well the glass, believe me I take advantage of the warranty I pay 7bucks a month for, the one thing I did not but didn't have to with this phone, is buy another battery,I get 12 hours out of mine, and I'm a heavy user anyway, I still think you can bust the screen, just that one time it hits whatever just right, on a corner, but this phone is just as tough as any other, 600 dollar phone, the best case is the one you can buy with the dual part to it, a soft inside type case with a hard cover over that and it light also

ForumRunner_20120914_152954.png

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

lorig

Reaction score
Within the last two weeks my son's and daughter's screens have cracked on their new S3s. They are college students. My daughter is extremely careful and has had only two phones since middle school without any damage. She did not have a case. My son has a case and still the screen cracked within one month of use. They have had many handheld devices for years without replacements for damage (ipods, phones). Now that I have replaced both phones under the insurance plans from t-mobile should I have them switch them out for a different phone?