Galaxy Nexus Vs Rezound Vs Razr

What do you think is the best new Android phone?

• Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HTC Rezound

• Motorolla Razr

• Total voters

caspruction

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time selecting a new phone. The current top three Androids all have their pros and cons: The GNex's ice-cream sandwich and beautiful display are enticing but the signal and multi touch issues are seriously troublesome--a phone that expensive shouldn't have these issues. The Razr is durable and has a nice display as well, but the fact that you cannot change the battery has me worried since after a day of rigorous use with no charger around, I find myself at times changing batteries on my Incredible 1. Moreover, when a system freezes due to a problem with an app or something, removing the battery is a quick fix which seems to be eliminated with the razr's built in battery. The razr also seems to have some issues with spots on the display. The Rezound sounds like the best and most solid choice. Best specs on the market, though the fact that the beats technology is only used through the music app kind of defeats the purpose--I was hoping the sound would be great throughout the phone.

What factors went into you making a final choice between the three?
What do you love and hate about your phone?
Any second thoughts on getting one of the three?
Any advice? Please add any pros and cons of each phone that you are aware of.

TeeX

Reaction score
pros of the GNex also include unlockable bootloader, unbelievable support from developers and updates directly from Google, beautiful form and appearance, great camera features (zero shutter lag, panoramic, time lapse), and of course slick and user friendly ICS.

I've not experienced any signal issues (other than nationwide Verizon outages) or the multi touch issue you mentioned.

Bought my GNex on release day, and I'd do it again without hesitation.

sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
C

caspruction

Reaction score
Have you had any reception or multitouch issues with the gnex? Reception is obviously a huge and possibly a determining factor.

TeeX

Reaction score
Have you had any reception or multitouch issues with the gnex? Reception is obviously a huge and possibly a determining factor.

nope. I'm not even aware of a multi touch issue, this is the first I've heard that. What specifically have you heard?

As far as reception, my signal strenth is on par with the Bionic I came from. Right now my signal strength is -83 dBm. That's actually pretty good for where my house is. I've seen my phone almost -99 dBm, but Ive never had a dropped call or clarity problems during a phone call.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
C

caspruction

Reaction score
People have been reporting and posting YouTube videos of one spot not responding when touching two places at once. I can't think of any area this may affect other than playing games, but I'm sure this may cause unforeseen headaches in the future. People are saying that an update can fix this, how accurate that is, I don't know.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Multi touch on the nexus can be spotty especially when playing games (MC3). It can be a bit annoying but its not like I stare at my phone for hours playing games, I have a ps3 for that. As for other common issues I've never experienced them except for one random shutoff. Other than that everything is fine and I couldn't be happier with my choice of phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I found the software buttons on the Nexus sometimes problematic to use, well just the Settings button - little vertical bar all the way to the right seems to have a very tiny sweetspot to press.

I'm probably trading my Nexus for the Rezound. If you root and flash, the Rezound is now unlocked so the primary advantage to the Nexus is now virtually nill. If you are not one to root and flash roms, then I would say ICS and direct support from Google on the latest updates is a significant advantage.

Both the RAZR and Rezound will be updated by the OEM's with ICS soon enough. We could have a lively debate about how important subsequent Android updates are, but I think ICS is quite polished and expect future updates to be quite marginal upgrades. Dangerous statement to make in the tech world, but my feelings are having the latest Android post-ICS is going to be rather overrated.

Syraz

Reaction score
My upgrade date is tomorrow, which I had planned to do my upgrade then...but oh know can't decide fully on one between the gnex and razr
both have pros and cons
Gnex for roms and development which I want to learn more of, but still worried about signal issue
razr because I have had droid, droid 2, and droid x2 *mind you all from CLNR* I love the build quality, I like the direction of blur. but the locked bootloader

Think in end be the Gnex but that Razr is mighty fine looking device

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Think in end be the Gnex but that Razr is mighty fine looking device

You should consider the Rezound, because it is already unlocked, but still waiting on S-Off for full customization/flash roms. Still won't be on par with the developer support for the Nexus, but it should be quite good (most developers have supported multiple phones, and the Rezound and Nexus appear to be the heavyweights going forward at least a few months until better phones come out).

I use to think the RAZR would be unlocked, but given the direction Moto appears to be going targeting Corporate, they are clearly placing more emphasis on security. Still makes absolutely no sense to me why these companies wouldn't allow unlocked and streamline updates to allow the user to control the experience (i.e. like Windows updates). Moto, especially, cranks out enough phones every year that they could certainly have a few unlocked for the people wanting that.

OP
C

caspruction

Reaction score
Have you looked into the HTC rezound? Why are you choosing the razr and gnex over it?

Syraz

Reaction score
I have thought about the Rezound a lot, but HTC phones just eehhh I don't know just not a fan of them...I not going to knock sense because that can be removed and parts of ui are nice. but I donno..was trying to narrow it down to 2 phones...
THis is a rough time to decide what to upgrade to, with 3 great phones out lol

OP
C

caspruction

Reaction score
I have an HTC now and in my opinion its very good. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by all the people having issues with gnex, it seems like it could be the best phone on the market. At this point, I'm leaning toward the rezound but I may take the gnex for a 14 day test drive since it seems that not everyone is having issues with it. Maybe I'll luck out.

busab

Reaction score
I have both the galaxy nexus and the Razr in my possession right now and I have made several direct comparisons. I would have to say get the Razr. Other than the fact that the Nexus will get updates first, the strong development backing and the 720p screen the Razr is better in every way.

In my side by side comparisons browsing is faster, the camera is miles better, both the outside and the ear piece sound quality is better, the screen while lower resolution is more vivid, signal reception is better, build quality is better and the battery is better by a country mile.

I'm sure the Nexus will be a lot better with a few updates but as of this moment when comparing stock for stock the Razr is just a better device.

With that said both are great devices and I did not post this to start a argument. This is just my experience and my personal opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Well there ya have it, back to square one! I'd say it's worth trying a couple of the phones for yourself and deciding then.

Syraz

Reaction score
The camera is one thing I do not care about, my 60D is with me 90% of the time, I am a street photographer, but think tomorrow just going to go to store hold, play, cuddle, buy dinner. Tell I find the perfect one :) you tube and forums can only get me so far..