Which phone will/did you choose for your upgrade? (Note 2 vs. DNA vs. Other)

Which phone will/did you choose for your upgrade?

• Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HTC Droid DNA

• Waiting for Samsung Galaxy S4

• Some other option (tell us which!)

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm eligible to upgrade on Verizon, and having a hard time picking between the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the HTC Droid DNA, so I wanted to get some other peoples' thoughts before I make my choice in a couple of weeks. I've read all the spec sheets and plenty of reviews and watched hands-on videos, but its always great to hear from other actual customers in the market.

Note 2 pros - micro-SD card slot up to 64 GB, large 3100 mah removable battery, S-pen.
Note 2 cons - might be a little big to hold and operate with one hand comfortably, as well as pocket.

DNA pros - really nice 1080p screen, great size to hold, operate, and pocket, Beats Audio.
DNA cons - no micro-SD card slot and only 11 GB usable internal storage, non-removable battery which is much smaller than hoped for.

GS4 pros - everything (11MP camera, new processor, big battery, 1080p screen, etc.)
GS4 cons - not releasing until Spring (April-May?) so will have to continue waiting with my dated phone.

Feel free to suggest and pros/cons to add, this is just very basic, and I'm not considering processors (pretty close. both more than ample) and UIs (largely subjective) aside. Also, I'm not considering the RAZR MAXX or GS3 since the specs aren't as good as these options. Is there anything else on the horizon that I'm missing?

delcopa

Reaction score
I went with the note 2 for a few reasons over the dna.

First I wanted the bigger screen and s pen so I can replace an ipad I didn't really
Memory stock 16 gb like the dna but the note 2 you can add 64gb plus the internal 16 so your up to 80gb!

Been using one hand easy most of the time anyway. Don't really listen to music much so the beats audio not a plus for me.

Being able to run all day long on one charge fantasic on the note 2. If your info music the dna is better for you but if into more creative and a workhorse the note 2 great choice. Love being able to use the s pen to jot things or write a quick note.

It is personal choice both are great phones. Hope I helped and didn't confuse the issue more lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I chose the note 2. Best overall android device released this year imo. Large screen+3100mah battery to ensure you make it through the day+ awesome features and software integrations and this is a phone that is a keeper.

With that said I highly recommend the user go and try out the phones for themselves, for the phone that is for me may not be for you. The note 2 is a big phone and for people wanting a big screen but a phone that feels like a phone the dna may be for them.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
i chose the note 2 as well paid full retail though cause i didn't want to loose my unlimited data i was looking at the DNA but then found out it didn't have a SD card slot and the screen was smaller, the note 2 fits in my hand and pocket just fine. im also a Samsung fan too didn't think much of HTC wasn't happy with there thunderbolt. Loving the Features on the note 2 battery lasts all day although i am a droid fan but not an HTC fan lol.

But I would recommmed you look at both phones even go to the store and play with them a little and then it goes to personal preferance, to each there own if you will just because we like the note to doesn't mean that the dna or the s4 wouldn't be your cup of tea.

WestOkid

Reaction score
All these phones are great, but consider the following before citing the music prowess of the DNA. The lack of storage space almost negates its strength.

You only have 11gig free space for apps and media. Not much room for high quality Mp3s, flac, etc.

Streaming high quality will not be an option since there is no longer unlimited for upgrades. So you will likely need to use low quality streaming to manage data.

Beats is terrible when used with low quality source material.

Tapped from my SCH - I535 using VZW stock Jelly Bean

xtor

Reaction score
We have 2 upgrades on our dumb lines, getting a note 2 for me, and a Samsung camera phone for wife(when it is released), then we'll switch them over to our unlimited lines, and retire our RAZR and razr maxx, they will be in the drawer with are dx's, in case we need a back up phone

point of origin

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I also chose the note 2 because of storage and battery capabilities. The speaker on this phone is great imo and ive never really been an htc fan.

sent from my vzw galaxy note 2

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Had to go with the Note 2. Since I lost unlimited data I got a 64gb card since I couldnt stream with google music anymore. The N2 really is a special device and I'm loving it so far

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

xtor

Reaction score
drew96dawg said:
I also chose the note 2 because of storage and battery capabilities. The speaker on this phone is great imo and ive never really been an htc fan.

How do you like it?, i get mine at the end of the week, can't wait

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I love it the size isnt an issue after you hold it for about 45 minutes. Yesterday I did everything that I would usually do on my droid 2 and the droid would be dead by 11 am this still had 23 percent when I went to bed at 11 pm.
Ive actually been using the stylus a lot more than I thought I would. When I start to get bored with it I find anither cool feature.
Call quality is significantly better than my d2 while signal strengths were the same for 3g

xtor

Reaction score
drew96dawg said:
I love it the size isnt an issue after you hold it for about 45 minutes. Yesterday I did everything that I would usually do on my droid 2 and the droid would be dead by 11 am this still had 23 percent when I went to bed at 11 pm.
Ive actually been using the stylus a lot more than I thought I would. When I start to get bored with it I find anither cool feature.
Call quality is significantly better than my d2 while signal strengths were the same for 3g

At 6foot5, I'm sure this phone will fit in my hand ok, i hope battery is better then my og razr

reach out and touch someone, 1000meter club

Lucas5

Reaction score
i wasn't an "upgrade" per se (per verizon), but i upgraded to the motorola Razr HD Maxx from the Galaxy Nexus. I'm super happy with this phone so much so that other than rooting it (too remove bloat), i'm keeping it stock.

theodavison

Reaction score
I'm eligible to upgrade on Verizon, and having a hard time picking between the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the HTC Droid DNA, so I wanted to get some other peoples' thoughts before I make my choice in a couple of weeks. I've read all the spec sheets and plenty of reviews and watched hands-on videos, but its always great to hear from other actual customers in the market.

Note 2 pros - micro-SD card slot up to 64 GB, large 3100 mah removable battery, S-pen.
Note 2 cons - might be a little big to hold and operate with one hand comfortably, as well as pocket.

DNA pros - really nice 1080p screen, great size to hold, operate, and pocket, Beats Audio.
DNA cons - no micro-SD card slot and only 11 GB usable internal storage, non-removable battery which is much smaller than hoped for.

GS4 pros - everything (11MP camera, new processor, big battery, 1080p screen, etc.)
GS4 cons - not releasing until Spring (April-May?) so will have to continue waiting with my dated phone.

Feel free to suggest and pros/cons to add, this is just very basic, and I'm not considering processors (pretty close. both more than ample) and UIs (largely subjective) aside. Also, I'm not considering the RAZR MAXX or GS3 since the specs aren't as good as these options. Is there anything else on the horizon that I'm missing?

The note 2 is better if your looking for a phone that doesn't die so quickly the droid dna sucks horrible battery life and only 16 gb of storage go with the note 2 out of this two devices