LG Revolution vs Charge vs Incredible 2

GunnerJim

Reaction score
Lets me just say, I had all three phones in the last month, trying to upgrade from the old Faithful HTC Droid Incredible 1.
New Current Phone - LG Revolution.
Other smart phones I have owned or currently own-
Palm Centro, BB Storm 1, HTC Dinc1, Iphone 3G(My unlocked GSM world phone), BB Tour, LG Revo

Quick Comparative/Musings

Droid Incredible 2
Pros
World Phone (GSM/CDMA)
More RAM than Inc1 (768M)
Bigger Screen (But more washed out than AMOLED in Inc1)
Super Quadrant Scores (1800-1900)
Front Facing Camera

Cons
Worse Battery Life than Inc1
Locked Bootloader
Screen washed out look

Take Away: Returned phone to VZW, not much of an improvement over the Old Inc1, the increased RAM was nice, but for the money all I was getting was a world phone. Decided to jump into 4G world...

Samsung Droid Charge
Pros
Screen Super AMOLED Plus is beautiful
Battery Life Incredible for a 4G phone- 1-1/2 to 2 days/3G, 1 to 1-1/2 4G.
With usage, games, phone, text, surfing, moderate streaming
4G Speeds using Speakeasy on multiple servers-
Seattle 28M Down/18M Up
San Diego 15M Down/8 Up
4G Hotspot worked better than advertised, getting close to same throughput as the phone itself.
4G/CDMA switch was nice feature, did not have to reboot phone too often.
Very light phone, even with case.
Different design form factor, grows on you, even the non-capacitive buttons work well.
Nice front facing camera
Screen Shot function nice.

Cons
Glitchy Touch Wiz 3.0, replaced with Launcher Pro, fixed some lag, but still not as snappy as HTC Inc2 or LG Revo
Camera not great on close ups, not bad at distance and outdoors
No LED notification
4G in San Diego... The phone would lock up when going in doors, had to trick it by turning data on and off to get it to re-sync.
328M of RAM and RFS file system cripples what could be a great device, they advertise 512M RAM/512M ROM, but you would need to root, format with Voodoo and make into an EXT4 File system to get better Quadrant benchmarks. I averaged 900-950 on Quadrant.
Phone speaker was very crackly on higher volume.
TONS of BLOATWARE!!!
Base color scheme Brown/Orange, not very aesthetic for a high end phone
Cost $300 a little steep for market and 2 yr contract.

Take Away: I really liked this phone, battery life was amazing for the fact that this was 4G and a large AMOLED screen. I wish it had the larger memory, EXT file system out of the box, I almost rooted the phone and stuck with it, I thought the lagging issue was almost bearable. For $300 I was not willing to risk bricking the phone so I returned it for the LG Revo.

LG Revolution
Very Snappy phone, transitions are quick
Great Benchmarks (1900-2100 Average on Quadrant), I compared all three 4G LTE phones side by side in VZW, the LG blew away the HTC TB
Touch Display is very responsive, reminds me of Iphone, I think LG makes the TFT display for them as well.
Replaced Optimus UI with Launcher Pro, preference more than anything
512 RAM, no lag
3g so far is really fast
Have not gone over to Seattle to try the 4G yet.
Battery life not as good as Charge, but better than HTC TB. I get 1 to 1-1/2 day on 3G in Western Washington.
Open Bootloader is nice, considering the root to remove Bing and Bloatware.
Camera is good indoors and out, front facing camera, really sharp.
LED notification is present, even though you see nothing online or in manual for it.
VoLTE, this is the only phone with simultaneous Voice and data capability on 4G network. Don't really know if this would be a show stopper, but it is worth mentioning.
Square Form Factor, easy to get back off of phone
Supports Wireless Charging (Buy $30 back, $70 Charger)
Fast reboot time
Netflix works great!!!!
Video Playback works great
Speaker is clearer than Charge, not as loud.

Cons
4G/CDMA toggle requires reboot
Battery life better than TB, not as good as Charge
TONS of BLOATWARE!!! Bing is imbedded in Browser along with VZW crap, but I use SkyFire and Dolphin, so it is a non-issue. Same with Google maps, Google Voice, etc... Just dumpster Bing off your homescreens or root the phone, freeze the VZW Bloatware/Bing Bloatware/etc.
Take Away: I like LG, they have been putting out good products since they left the old GoldStar monicker behind years ago. I had great success with LG dumbphones in past, figured to give this phone a try. The phone does not lag on most applications, the lag worth mentioning is when adding applications to the home screen. I will stutter an extra 5 seconds... It could be the fact I am using Launcher Pro. I am probably going to stick with this phone if 4G works as advertised. Charge runs a close second, I wish they had Gingerbread out of the box... If Charge had Ext4 and more RAM, then it would win hands down. The file system piece is fixable but I do not believe we can re-partition the RAM... Maybe a developer can weigh in here and set me straight.

If I had not given my Droid Incredible to my son, then I may have waited to see if the Samsung Galaxy S II came to VZW with the same specs and 4G LTE radio. Somehow I believe it may not happen because of the size of the 4G radio fitting in the GSII Form Factor. Things to consider, VZW unlimited data is coming to an end soon, that is why I jumped to the 4G phone to get grandfathered for at least two years.

Ask me questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

Last edited:

Psykho

Reaction score
I would take my thunderbolt over all of them if your reason for not even considering it are the battery and reboot issues then your missing out on the best phone on Verizon because as I've said on other topics my bolt has neither of these issues and many other forum members and many people that I know say the same thing . And no I'm not trying to make myself feel better with my choice I'm extremely happy with my device I just feel like everyone is missing out because of the bad word of mouth that it is getting p.s. my bolt is not rooted with a stock battery
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
G

GunnerJim

Reaction score
I looked hard at the HTC TB, I love HTC as a company, the Droid Incredible 1 is by far the best phone I have ever owned. I wish HTC had put the AMOLED screen in the TB and I would have really considered it. I also spent a considerable amount of time handling and using friends TB's, it really seems heavy for a phone, add the extended battery, it compounds the problem... For the sake of 4G it seems like VZW is hurting the consumer with older technology, none of the LTE phones a dual processor (Really do not know if it will hurt battery life or improve it).

The only real areas the HTC TB loses to the LG Revo is VoLTE (Which is not working yet), open bootloader, better battery life, better screen responsiveness, more capacity, 16GB Internal Memory, 16GB external Memory-expandable to 32GB, lighter phone. So it is a little more advanced in capability with exception of 5 compared to 8 megapixel camera, which is debatable.

I like Sense UI for an overlay-better than LG Optimus (I use Launcher Pro), the camera I think is better on the TB, and generally I like HTC as a brand. I am happy to see the company announce the future bootloaders will be unlocked.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
Stop listing volte please, you can do voice data over 3g on the tbolt.

Did you turn off animations on the ccharge? That seems to stop the lag.

Psykho

Reaction score
I agree the the revo has better specs in some areas and is an excellent phone I believe these two and the charge to be the best phones available do to the fact they are on Verizon there are other phones coming on other carriers with better specs but if you don't have good service and data speeds what's the point . And why does the weight of a phone turn some people off I personally like it heavy it feels more quality and less like I'm going to throw it or drop it by accident .

ElMuneco

Reaction score
Lets me just say, I had all three phones in the last month, trying to upgrade from the old Faithful HTC Droid Incredible 1.
New Current Phone - LG Revolution.
Other smart phones I have owned or currently own-
Palm Centro, BB Storm 1, HTC Dinc1, Iphone 3G(My unlocked GSM world phone), BB Tour, LG Revo

Quick Comparative/Musings

Droid Incredible 2
Pros
World Phone (GSM/CDMA)
More RAM than Inc1 (768M)
Bigger Screen (But more washed out than AMOLED in Inc1)
Super Quadrant Scores (1800-1900)
Front Facing Camera

Cons
Worse Battery Life than Inc1
Locked Bootloader
Screen washed out look

Take Away: Returned phone to VZW, not much of an improvement over the Old Inc1, the increased RAM was nice, but for the money all I was getting was a world phone. Decided to jump into 4G world...

Samsung Droid Charge
Pros
Screen Super AMOLED Plus is beautiful
Battery Life Incredible for a 4G phone- 1-1/2 to 2 days/3G, 1 to 1-1/2 4G.
With usage, games, phone, text, surfing, moderate streaming
4G Speeds using Speakeasy on multiple servers-
Seattle 28M Down/18M Up
San Diego 15M Down/8 Up
4G Hotspot worked better than advertised, getting close to same throughput as the phone itself.
4G/CDMA switch was nice feature, did not have to reboot phone too often.
Very light phone, even with case.
Different design form factor, grows on you, even the non-capacitive buttons work well.
Nice front facing camera
Screen Shot function nice.

Cons
Glitchy Touch Wiz 3.0, replaced with Launcher Pro, fixed some lag, but still not as snappy as HTC Inc2 or LG Revo
Camera not great on close ups, not bad at distance and outdoors
No LED notification
4G in San Diego... The phone would lock up when going in doors, had to trick it by turning data on and off to get it to re-sync.
328M of RAM and RFS file system cripples what could be a great device, they advertise 512M RAM/512M ROM, but you would need to root, format with Voodoo and make into an EXT4 File system to get better Quadrant benchmarks. I averaged 900-950 on Quadrant.
Phone speaker was very crackly on higher volume.
TONS of BLOATWARE!!!
Base color scheme Brown/Orange, not very aesthetic for a high end phone
Cost $300 a little steep for market and 2 yr contract.

Take Away: I really liked this phone, battery life was amazing for the fact that this was 4G and a large AMOLED screen. I wish it had the larger memory, EXT file system out of the box, I almost rooted the phone and stuck with it, I thought the lagging issue was almost bearable. For $300 I was not willing to risk bricking the phone so I returned it for the LG Revo.

LG Revolution
Very Snappy phone, transitions are quick
Great Benchmarks (1900-2100 Average on Quadrant), I compared all three 4G LTE phones side by side in VZW, the LG blew away the HTC TB
Touch Display is very responsive, reminds me of Iphone, I think LG makes the TFT display for them as well.
Replaced Optimus UI with Launcher Pro, preference more than anything
768 RAM, no lag
3g so far is really fast
Have not gone over to Seattle to try the 4G yet.
Battery life not as good as Charge, but better than HTC TB. I get 1 to 1-1/2 day on 3G in Western Washington.
Open Bootloader is nice, considering the root to remove Bing and Bloatware.
Camera is good indoors and out, front facing camera, really sharp.
LED notification is present, even though you see nothing online or in manual for it.
VoLTE, this is the only phone with simultaneous Voice and data capability on 4G network. Don't really know if this would be a show stopper, but it is worth mentioning.
Square Form Factor, easy to get back off of phone
Supports Wireless Charging (Buy $30 back, $70 Charger)
Fast reboot time
Netflix works great!!!!
Video Playback works great
Speaker is clearer than Charge, not as loud.

Cons
4G/CDMA toggle requires reboot
Battery life better than TB, not as good as Charge
TONS of BLOATWARE!!! Bing is imbedded in Browser along with VZW crap, but I use SkyFire and Dolphin, so it is a non-issue. Same with Google maps, Google Voice, etc... Just dumpster Bing off your homescreens or root the phone, freeze the VZW Bloatware/Bing Bloatware/etc.
Take Away: I like LG, they have been putting out good products since they left the old GoldStar monicker behind years ago. I had great success with LG dumbphones in past, figured to give this phone a try. The phone does not lag on most applications, the lag worth mentioning is when adding applications to the home screen. I will stutter an extra 5 seconds... It could be the fact I am using Launcher Pro. I am probably going to stick with this phone if 4G works as advertised. Charge runs a close second, I wish they had Gingerbread out of the box... If Charge had Ext4 and more RAM, then it would win hands down. The file system piece is fixable but I do not believe we can re-partition the RAM... Maybe a developer can weigh in here and set me straight.

If I had not given my Droid Incredible to my son, then I may have waited to see if the Samsung Galaxy S II came to VZW with the same specs and 4G LTE radio. Somehow I believe it may not happen because of the size of the 4G radio fitting in the GSII Form Factor. Things to consider, VZW unlimited data is coming to an end soon, that is why I jumped to the 4G phone to get grandfathered for at least two years.

Ask me questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

How long did your battery last using 4G on the Rev Jim?? That might be the selling point for me.

Last edited:
OP
G

GunnerJim

Reaction score
I am still testing battery, since midnight i have 65% left with moderate usage, phone, text, surfing and email. So 15 hours, 7 awake hours really using. In two days, i see 1 to 1-1/2 days light usage a day of normal usage. Will post more soon.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I am still testing battery, since midnight i have 65% left with moderate usage, phone, text, surfing and email. So 15 hours, 7 awake hours really using. In two days, i see 1 to 1-1/2 days light usage a day of normal usage. Will post more soon.

Not great, but definitely not bad...

I have always bought extended batteries for my phones, so maybe I am not used to average stock battery life.

Psykho

Reaction score
How is a day on normal usage not great how long do you want it to last as long as my battery last from when I go to work till when I go to bed I'm good why would you need more than a day. Unless you mean a day as in 8 hours I say a day as in 15-16 hours

Last edited:
OP
G

GunnerJim

Reaction score
Adding some clarity...
The battery at 6PM is at 50%, so from 100% Charge, pulled plug at Midnight to 8 AM, it maintained 100%, and has dropped to 50% over 10 hours of moderate 3G usage- Email typing, reading, RSS, browsing, phone calls, texts, and blogging. I will say this... On 3G, I am getting full bars out where I live, never got that from any other phone. So that fact helps battery life too. Will answer questions and post any new revelations. I talk about the phone more in my comparison thread to Charge and Incredible 2.

OP
G

GunnerJim

Reaction score
I was doing some searching for the VZW data given to me at the store on the LG Revolution, the VZW website says 768MB... For what it is worth...

VZW%252520Screen%252520shot.jpg

OP
G

GunnerJim

Reaction score
Does anyone has any data to add for the size of Internal RAM?

OP
G

GunnerJim

Reaction score
I just got back from Seattle testing out the 4G LTE capability of the LG Revolution, posted screenshots (Different site) here:

Screenshots Thread

and LG Revo 5MP Camera Shots here:

LG Revolution 5MP Photos

I am really trying to compare the LG Revo to the Charge I took back last week. The Revo was not getting the same 25MB Down speeds as the Charge, (I know it is unrealistic to expect this all the time, but same area, 1 week later should be about the same throughput), battery life ropped 60% over 4 hours of moderate LTE usage, the Charge would have dropped about 30% in comparative situation.

My battery post is here:

Battery Life???

The GPS function was really good on LG Revo, I had to install the voice recognition app to work with Google maps, other Android phones I have owned already had this installed, no biggie, thanks BING/Microsoft. The phone was hooked to charger while using GPS, dropped from 100% to 95% within 1 hour drive to ferry... Giving you some idea on distance, about 45 miles- Down to 95%hitting LTE network at Bainbridge Island Ferry Terminal. From here it was straight down... 60% in 4 hours gone, getting into my car to go home, 35% plugging into USB port.

That is another glitchy thing. USB plugged in when rebooting leaves the Icon in the notification bar until you reboot again without the USB plugged in... Kind of makes you mad. Jury is still out, do not know if future VoLTE is worth the battery drain.

Pictures also were posted as I said before, they were not bad, but not as good as the Samsung Charge 8MP at a distance. The light environment on the water today really was poor for awesome photos.

Schoat333

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread.

I am torn between the Charge and the LG right now, and this is helping my decision.

The data speeds alone are swaying me to lean towards the charge, but I want to know how well the HDMI out works on the charge, because I heard the LG is very good.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
One question I have not seen answered.. does the LG do voice and data at the same time? And if so does it do it in 4g and 3g areas like the TB? Not a necessity but comes in handy sometimes