Galaxy Nexus - Possible Roaming Problem?

duke69111

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in Kansas where in a lot of places service can be poor or not existent. While visiting my family and my girlfriends family over Christmas, who live in two different areas in Southeast Kansas, where both phone and 4g/3g/1x data signal does not exist from Verizon. US Cellular is the main carrier for service in both areas with great coverage and I noticed that my new galaxy nexus did not automatically connect to the US Cellular network in either location for roaming. I was left with no connectivity at all for the entire weekend

My question is there a reason why my galaxy nexus did not automatically connect to the US Cellular network to roam?

Also is there a way to force my phone to connect to US Cellular when I am in these dead zones for Verizon?

Thanks in advance?

As a side note, I have the Data Roaming checked in the Mobile Network Settings and I have the System Select set to Automatic.

Sgtsmokdu

Reaction score
I travel a lot and noticed this too. I have to manually set it to cdma when I know I'm not near 4g.

Galaxy Nexus

OP
D

duke69111

Reaction score
I travel a lot and noticed this too. I have to manually set it to cdma when I know I'm not near 4g.

Galaxy Nexus

Just clarifying, does your phone automatically roam when you set it to cdma only? I had mine set to cdma only as I knew the area did not have 4g and it never roamed for me.

Sgtsmokdu

Reaction score
the only time that I can remember that I was actually roaming was out in NM. I'm working thru out Kentucky right now, I'm definitely not using Verizon towers. With my dx2 I had data capabilities here without changing any settings. In order for me to have any data right now I either use wifi or set the network to cdma with system set to automatic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

RacingManiac

Reaction score
I had my phone roaming(no data) when I was in Canada during the holidays. While I have no issue calling and receiving calls, I did notice something odd though. If I set the clock to automatically use network time, when I toggle in and out of airplane mode(I don't roam all the time), the clock would sometimes just get some weird time altogether, as if its not in the same timezone or something....

OP
D

duke69111

Reaction score
Well I broke down and called Verizon Wireless technical support today.

The tech that I spoke with checked the two areas that I go to and confirmed that Verizon is mostly non existent. He then went on to say that the phone should roam in both areas and he did not have any answer as to why it was not roaming.

His solution to my problem was to purchase a prepaid US Cellular phone and forward my calls to it when I am in these areas. I must admit that it is a solution, but what an asinine thing for a Verizon employee to tell a subscriber. He also stated that Verizon just needs to add more towers in the area, which I can almost guarantee will never happen.

So as of now I am still at a loss as to why my phone is not roaming in these areas.

Last edited: