Disable Cellular radio but keep Data Connection?

nubby

Reaction score
What if you cancel the phone plan, and purchase a wi-fi hotspot. The phone will be able to be used on wi-fi, and it should be cheaper than a phone plan.

clifford427

Reaction score
Thanks but no thanks

You can root if you want, but it isn't necessary to accomplish this.

Enable airplane mode, which will disable all radios. I think airplane mode toggle is on the power menu by default (long press power button), if not Settings > more... > Airplane mode Once airplane mode is turned on, turn on wifi.

In this case Airplane mode will not work for me because I want to be able to use the WiFi part still. And as far as the sim card goes if I remove it it gives some annoying background about inserting a sim card. I am just going to run with it as is and hope big red just blocks the IEMI number.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
In this case Airplane mode will not work for me because I want to be able to use the WiFi part still. And as far as the sim card goes if I remove it it gives some annoying background about inserting a sim card. I am just going to run with it as is and hope big red just blocks the IEMI number.

Turn WiFi on after enabling airplane mode. The cellular radio stays disabled and you can use WiFi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

drew96dawg

Reaction score
This thread has some helpful posts will someone sticky it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Turn WiFi on after enabling airplane mode. The cellular radio stays disabled and you can use WiFi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

this was/is ingenius!!!!! This is exactly what i was looking for, a way to turn off cell radio but still have some type of data (wifi)... THANKSSSSS!!!!!!

no i can still use the phone and not be bothered with calls/texts... :icon_ lala:

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Why not just change your Verizon phone# and not give it to anybody? No calls.. Problem solved..... MATT

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

theunclear

Reaction score
I'm also on the same boat as the OP, and found the way. Dial *#*#INFO#*#*, then under "Set preferred network type:", choose "LTE only". It works for my unlocked Nexus 4 under T-Mobile prepaid plan.

CDMA and GSM can support cellular and data, whereas LTE can only support data. I tried "LTE only" and I could not call the real number.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Stickied.

Just tried the airplane mode plus Wi-Fi and it works. The *#*#info #*#* doesn't work on my MAXX.