Galaxy Nexus No Longer Launching on December 9?

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Galaxy Nexus No Longer Launching on December 9?

Not necessarily the post I wanted to start the day with, but in the span of 15 minutes, multiple sources reached out because they were informed that the Galaxy Nexus is no longer launching on December 9 (this Friday). I’m still in shock that this could happen after the entire U.S. Verizon staff was informed that the 9th was the day, but then again, I’m not sure anything should surprise us when it comes to this phone anymore.

Is Big Red just trolling us? Could we still see in Friday or are we onto Monday now? Stay tuned as we dig for confirmation. Keep as rumor for now, and try not to completely freak out.

Source

just4747

Reaction score
We have it already posted in the big pre-sale thread if you want to close this one.

Briankbl

Reaction score
We have it already posted in the big pre-sale thread if you want to close this one.

I personally think this is deserving of it's own topic, especially since there is a topic similar to this in the news forum that the mods feel is perfectly acceptable.

Sent using common sense.

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Thanks for putting this topic up. I wouldn't known it you didn't. Because why would I go to the big presale thread?

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Update!!!
Update: Equipment Guide now says “launch date is coming soon.” The same sheet yesterday had an all channel launch happening on 12/9.

Update 2: A couple of folks have suggested that this move could have to do with the 4G LTE issues that started popping up on phones yesterday afternoon. If that is the case, you can’t fault Verizon for waiting another couple of days to make sure their network is stable enough for this phone.

Update 3: Hate to keep at this, but the reports of the delay are hitting our inbox from across the country. No reasons given, but again, this could easily be because of the LTE issues that are still ongoing.
Developing…

Last edited:

pilot25

Reaction score
The only thing that can be delaying this right now is legalities. I have a feeling there is something going on with the Apple vs. Samsung lawsuit holding this up.

If the phones are stocked in stores then I can't imagine what else would be delaying it.

Verizon, Google, and Samsung have royally screwed the pooch on this one. Not that I'm shocked. Their collective marketing ability is at the bottom of the ocean.

Jobs is laughing somewhere.

coverton341

Reaction score
The only thing that can be delaying this right now is legalities. I have a feeling there is something going on with the Apple vs. Samsung lawsuit holding this up.

If the phones are stocked in stores then I can't imagine what else would be delaying it.

Verizon, Google, and Samsung have royally screwed the pooch on this one. Not that I'm shocked. Their collective marketing ability is at the bottom of the ocean.

Jobs is laughing somewhere.

I have also heard rumblings that it could be over Google Wallet. Verizon signed something a while back that stated that they would not block competing apps on their phones and the way they are handling Google Wallet apparently voids that "peace treaty", if you will. They are back pedalling and saying that they aren't "blocking" the app, but it is different than other apps so they can't just let it work on their network. There is a post here on the forums about it I believe.

Source: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/could-google-wallet-be-the-cause-of-the-galaxy-nexus-delay-2011127/

Last edited:

maniaryan

Reaction score
just called verizon and the rep did say it got pushed back but they don't know why, they all have them in stock ready to gooo

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Yes I saw that.. I am hoping that it get released soon. My Storm1 had to be wiped and reset again..

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the local Verizon store, and I was asking him about this phone. He told me they weren't allowed to say anything about it, but he did say "Off the record, if you come in Friday, you won't be disapointed."

One thing I was wondering. Does anybody know if this phone will have Swype installed on it? I do allot of texting, and I'd really like to have that.

bmkdroid

Reaction score
Well, the 13th is worse than the 9th, but better than the 15th! I'd really just hope that it is at least sometime either this week or next. If it doesn't come out next week then I'm going to start thinking I'm insane and this whole phone is just a figment of my imagination, as with all of you.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the local Verizon store, and I was asking him about this phone. He told me they weren't allowed to say anything about it, but he did say "Off the record, if you come in Friday, you won't be disapointed."

One thing I was wondering. Does anybody know if this phone will have Swype installed on it? I do allot of texting, and I'd really like to have that.

I was just told this as well. I call the same store everyday to make sure nothing has changed. I say, i know this said phone doesnt exist, but if it were to exist, what would be a good day to pick it up.....they say...well i think friday would be a good day to stop by and see what we have.

kongo

Reaction score
So, for what it's worth, I'm here in the SF Bay Area. I called several stores today: Market Street in SF, Emeryville, El Cerrito Plaza, Walnut Creek, and Pleasant Hill. I have a buddy who works at the Market St. store. Here's what their responses were:

Pleasant Hill: We haven't heard anything so far. We haven't heard about a release.
Walnut Creek: There is a delay on the device until next week.
El Cerrito: It will release this Friday. We don't have them in stock yet, but we will be releasing Friday. (Me: "Hmm... I called other stores and they give me different information"). Well, we are informal here... so check on Friday.
Emeryville: We don't have any information about the release, but it won't be this week.
Market St: I think it's delayed, but I believe we're finding out more later on today. I'll text you when I find out something.

So there you have it.