Full Size keyboard for Droid??

tropicaffair

Reaction score
I've had direct connect, infrared and bluetooth keyboards for my various devices over the years. Last year I purchased one of the Celio C8 units for use with my Samsung 760 and later for my 770. Currently they have stated they are working on an Android driver that may only be compatible with the 2 newer models of their product - the C8N and the C7.

I really got a lot of use out of the C8, stopped carrying my laptop at least 80% of the time. When their Android driver comes out I may very well spring for a newer model if my older one is not supported.

ericwiz

Reaction score
This device looks like a great companion to the Droid. I would be interested in buying one when it supports android 2.0

ChalmersP

Reaction score
Some keyboards have a usb connector on them, so what if you got a usb to micro-usb adapter and then plugged it into the phone? Or is the problem that the phone doesnt support a keyboard?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think the phone does much via USB besides file transfer, charging, and almost definitely some diagnostic stuff. Doubt it would read peripherals through there.

Spartan

Reaction score
Portable Keyboard+Documents to Go = no laptop on business trips.
The thought of this makes me very happy.

tshphd

Reaction score
Bluetooth Keyboard Driver for Droid

Hi,
You can download an application called KeyPro in the Market. However, I have not been able to get it to work yet. Maybe you'll have better luck. Let me know if you get it working and how you did it. ([email protected])
Thanks,
Tim

knightshade

Reaction score
KeyPro is what I'm using...

You need to go into settings to:
1.) enable it
2.) setup your keyboard.
(There is a good FAQ on their website for these steps).

I'll mention that it only works with SPP keyboards, not HID ones.

tman0712

Reaction score
I've been looking into this, and the aforementioned beta driver claims to work with the Freedom bluetooth keyboards already (on Android), as well as the IR laser keyboard - and Freedom says it's dual-profile keyboards should have drivers as of March. I'm planning on checking it out, will update on status and workarounds I come up with. I am just trying to find someone in town that carries them, but I'm afraid I'll have to buy it online without trying out the different styles.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Purchased a Microsoft 6000 bluetooth mobile keyboard for use with an HP mini311 netbook. It would be ideal for use with the droid. I mention it mainly to bump this thread in the hope it might attract the attention of someone who has some ideas.

rmcray08

Reaction score
I just wanted to give this topic a bump and see if anyone has heard any word on bluetooth keyboard compatibility for the Droid.

I'm not an engineer or a software developer but it doesn't seem as though this should be beyond Android's limitations or the Droid's limitations. Am I wrong?

Would it be worth petitioning Google to be integrated into Froyo/2.2?

tman0712

Reaction score
Full size keyboard

Update - the Freedom Input Freedom Pro bluetooth keyboard will work, and proprietary (manufacturer) drivers for Android OS versions from 1.5 to 2.0 were released last month. The expected release date for the 2.0 and up drivers is mid-May (bump it by a half month since that seems to be Freedom's delay, gives us drivers by June). Until then, you can always use it with the driver from KeyPro, which is not perfect, but better than nothing (although it'll cost you ten dollars). If you can wait, drivers from Freedom are free.

Try here for help with KeyPro drivers.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-accessories/3786-external-keyboard-droid.html

jhom

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'll wait for the new drivers before buying one. I've used the ThinkOutside Stowaway with my Pocket PC for many years. It comes in handy when you are on the road. It sure beats typing with your thumbs or a stylus when you have a lot of emails or documents to send.

gothicfreek

Reaction score
it is possible to do

You need to enable usb host mode it does require knowledge of soldering and modifying cables I got it working and I'm typing to you from a keyboard hooked up via usb I am using a logitech internet 350 keyboard

pinesal

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw this out there.

You is an app that lets you use the Wii remote as a bluetooth keyboard. The remote obviously doensn't have enough keys and isn't meant to be used that way. You can use it for games on the DROID where the controls are mappable on the keyboard.