External Keyboard for Droid?

InvalidUserID

Reaction score
Received my keyboard today (Freedom Pro) and like it.

Pairing was pretty straight forward; however, one piece of instruction could be better clarified. As previously mentioned, to get the Droid to accept input from the app/keyboard you need to navigate to the setup section. I didn't find it initially.

On the Droid (v2.0.1) it can be found it here:
Settings>>Language & Keyboard>>Text Settings>>Keypro [check box]

I spent ~5mins trying to figure out why I couldn't input any text, despite being paired & hearing the sound emulation.

Other than that hiccup, this is an awesome app and definitely money well spent.

905_4192resized.jpg

905_4156resized.jpg

[Palm Tungsten T with Ultra-Thin Keyboard pictured for comparison.]
905_4229resized.jpg

905_4251resized.jpg

Erich_F

Reaction score
This is awesome stuff, guys...thanks for posting. What vendor did you get your boards from?

Thanks,

InvalidUserID

Reaction score
This is awesome stuff, guys...thanks for posting. What vendor did you get your boards from?

Thanks,

Don't want to be spamming any links, but if you go to the developers site he lists a 15% off coupon code.

It's $89 - 15% = $76+free shipping
[9.75% tax in Ca, thanks Arnold :mad: ]

Cheapest price on Google $89+shipping.
Seems like a decent deal.

rod

Reaction score
late december i purchased this keyboard : https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27685

sku_27685_1.jpg

just wanted to let yall know that after a loooong wait, it finally arrived. free shipping across the pacific? im impressed. however, i'm not too knowledgeable abt bluetooth. ive had a rough day dealing with inspectors and subcontractors, so maybe ill do more research trying to get it to connect tomorrow. ill give yall a write-up about how it works once i get it up and going.

i will say right now that i like the style, feel and size of it. i wanted something that i could lay on my couch with my feet up and the keyboard in my lap, and this thing feels like its perfect for that.

andulinde

Reaction score
Very nice thread.

What do the Send/End buttons on the Freedom Pro keyboard do for the Droid? Can you set those to open the phone app/dial, and hang up a call?

tropicaffair

Reaction score
I apollogize for not posting earlier. I did receive the Freedom Pro a couple of weeks ago. Ultimately, my trial version of KeyPro ranout before I had a chance to really give it a workout so I purchased KeyPro.

My overall impression is that this combination is good to very good. It could be better (i.e. little inconviences like having to manually set up every shortcut key). I have had plug-in, infrared & bluetooth keyboards for my palm and WM ppcs in the past. The best combination I ever worked with was my Samsung 770 and a Redfly Mobile Companion. Really wish they had an android driver but for now the Freedom Pro and my droid will be fine for those lengthy text entries.

rod

Reaction score
well, after searching and searching, i cannot get the keyboard i purchased to connect to the droid. i connected it to a computer, and found that the keyboard actually has technical problems, so im trying to see if ill be able to return it. i doubt it. ill chalk it up as a loss.

i do plan on using my $100 rebate card on one of those stowaway keyboards. yall have talked me into it!

evilsock

Reaction score
ok so if these will work when i have an emulator open like snesoid im sold, anyone know?
if not can someone with one dl the free ver and try it plz?
also which one is smallest? or best bang for buck?
thanks!
plzplzplz work with emus

trpster

Reaction score
Sorry

bump? anyone ?
emulator?, cmon, be my savior somebody

Sorry for no response, I know how you feel. I have no interest in flailing with an emulator to ensure the Freedom Pro keyboard will work with it, but I have a feeling that the KeyPro driver transcends the software that runs under it (or that it runs under, depending on how you look at it).

My suggestion is to buy it from someone like Amazon that has a good return policy; if it turns out for some strange reason that it won't work as you hoped, return it. But bear in mind that many of us had to screw around with it to get it to work the first time...after that, it's pretty seamless.

I made my typical assumption that I wouldn't need to look at any documentation because I'm older than dirt and started screwing with computers back in the Timex Sinclair days, but do yourself a favor...read the KeyPro documentation. I'm betting it will work just fine.

evilsock

Reaction score
thanks, im gonna read up on it, if anyone does happen to try it who has a bt keyboard plz post up, im sure there are nerds everywhere who are wondering what i am.

InvalidUserID

Reaction score
ok so if these will work when i have an emulator open like snesoid im sold, anyone know?
thanks!
plzplzplz work with emus

I tried the keyboard with the game emulators. It was one of the 1st things I tried once I had it working.
Unfortunately, it works to a limited degree.

Only the directional keys on the keyboard work. For example, I can walk around using the keyboard in the game The Secret of Mana[RPG, SNES] but that's about it. I tried binding the A/B/X/Y keys to different ones, but nothing happens.
I tested this with all paid versions of Gensoid/SNesoid/Nesoid.

evilsock

Reaction score
thanks!
plzplzplz work with emus

I tried the keyboard with the game emulators. It was one of the 1st things I tried once I had it working.
Unfortunately, it works to a limited degree.

Only the directional keys on the keyboard work. For example, I can walk around using the keyboard in the game The Secret of Mana[RPG, SNES] but that's about it. I tried binding the A/B/X/Y keys to different ones, but nothing happens.
I tested this with all paid versions of Gensoid/SNesoid/Nesoid.

man that sucks, i may still get one bc they are handy, but dang.
there is a wii remote app on market that links phone to wiimote, does nothing yet for emu control, but there is potential , i play tons of games using emulators and i cannot play some of my faves (super metroid) using droids keyboard:mad:
but the phone is on the rise so i hope there will be a patch to use BT KB or wii remote to play games on. thanks for trying

cyber3d

Reaction score
Just read this on Freedom's website: So, the more people email this guy the better chance we'll have a proper driver for the Droid
Android Driver - News

Android Drivers!!! We have had many, many request for Android drivers and the good news is that they are almost ready. We are currently only developing Android drivers for our Freedom Pro keyboard. We are about to go into the Beta stage and the public release should be available soon after.
If you are interested in beta testing the Android drivers and have a Freedom Pro Keyboard please email [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and make sure you state which model Android device you have.
Please note that the Android drivers are for the Freedom Pro keyboard only and will only work with Android devices running 1.5 and above.