External Keyboard for Droid?

Silverwing

Reaction score
i purchased a non-folding bt keyboard about a week ago. im waiting for it to come in. as soon as it comes in, ill test it out and let yall know what i think. it ran right around $35 with shipping. (i was looking for something cheap to use around the house- not for travel)

What model did you buy?

rod

Reaction score
i purchased a non-folding bt keyboard about a week ago. im waiting for it to come in. as soon as it comes in, ill test it out and let yall know what i think. it ran right around $35 with shipping. (i was looking for something cheap to use around the house- not for travel)

What model did you buy?

let me get it in and ill post what it is. i was on some serious painkillers when i placed the order, and broke some of my own set rules when ordering off of the internet. right now, im not too sure im going to get it in. if you still want the info, let me know, but i do not suggest ordering until i know for sure its not a sham.

Silverwing

Reaction score
Haha, I hate to say it - but its not a good idea ordering things while on painkillers =)

rod

Reaction score
Haha, I hate to say it - but its not a good idea ordering things while on painkillers =)

yeahhhh... i knew better, but it looked like such a good deal! and free shipping too! only to wake up the next day to realize it was being shipped from hong kong. and the realization that shipping across the pacific is probably faaaaaar from free.

i was tempted to cancel the order, but im just going to wait out the delivery period and see if it arrives. im really mostly curious at this point.

Spartan

Reaction score
Got my Think Outside Shasta keyboard last night. Downloaded KeyPro and was up and typing in short order. Took a little work reading to get it paired, but it works great. I can now use it to handle the large work emails when I'm on the road and not have to take my laptop. I'm a happy camper! Thanks everyone for the info and feedback.

mikeflys

Reaction score
Many of us have the iGo Stowaway Ultra-Slim keyboard and have been hoping that someone savvy enough will write a bluetooth driver for this keyboard. It is also an excellent fold up keyboard but no longer supported by out of business iGo. Please write this group a driver, many of us would be willing to pay for this capability. Thanks so much in advance! :icon_ devil:

Erich_F

Reaction score
Got my Think Outside Shasta keyboard last night. Downloaded KeyPro and was up and typing in short order. Took a little work reading to get it paired, but it works great. I can now use it to handle the large work emails when I'm on the road and not have to take my laptop. I'm a happy camper! Thanks everyone for the info and feedback.

This is great news. Could you explain the pair difficulty?

Thanks,

Spartan

Reaction score

This is great news. Could you explain the pair difficulty?

Thanks,

Pairing wasn't that difficult had I just looked at their website first. My Droid recognized the keyboard right away, but I couldn't get it to connect. Didn't realize you needed to connect thru the KeyPro application. Once I did that it worked.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Pairing wasn't that difficult had I just looked at their website first. My Droid recognized the keyboard right away, but I couldn't get it to connect. Didn't realize you needed to connect thru the KeyPro application. Once I did that it worked.

That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. I think I will get one of these for short trips...then I can leave the Laptop at home. I really just need a keyboard to keep up with my all my forums. :icon_ banana:

Erich_F

Reaction score
So, how's the KB working out for you so far?

I'm about to bite the bullet for one.

Thanks,

Spartan

Reaction score
So, how's the KB working out for you so far?

I'm about to bite the bullet for one.

Thanks,

So far its working well. Haven't really put it thru its paces yet as I haven't been on any business trips yet this year. I do think it will be great not having to drag my laptop thru airport security. I'll know more in a few weeks.

trpster

Reaction score
Got the Freedom Pro keyboard yesterday, and even though I'd read Spartan's pairing comments, I still flailed a bit before getting it working. This post is intended to help others who get external keyboards.

As Spartan indicated, you must first get KeyPro to connect with the keyboard before Bluetooth pairing. Their website provides clear instructions on how to accomplish this.

Following that, you must execute the Bluetooth pairing, and here is where I encountered a problem. Following the pairing process the Bluetooth pairing screen indicates "Pairing but not connected," even though the KeyPro app still says "Connected." Apparently, as long as KeyPro is connected, you are good to go.

The KeyPro website (actually MyMobileGear.com) then describes that you must tell the Droid to accept input from KeyPro in the setup section, but the picture on their web site doesn't match my Droid's setup screen; no matter, you just have to find it.

The final piece of the puzzle is telling an application to accept entry from KeyPro rather than the Android keyboard, and this is accomplished by a long press on the entry window; a window will pop open with a dialog box where you can select "KeyPro."

All of this is (except the "Pairing but not connected") is covered well in the KeyPro website, so plan to review it before attempting to connect an external keyboard. And thanks to the developer for creating the driver; with a foldable keyboard and a Droid, you really can leave your laptop at home.