External Keyboard for Droid?

trpster

Reaction score
Just read this on Freedom's website: So, the more people email this guy the better chance we'll have a proper driver for the Droid
Android Driver - News

Android Drivers!!! We have had many, many request for Android drivers and the good news is that they are almost ready. We are currently only developing Android drivers for our Freedom Pro keyboard. We are about to go into the Beta stage and the public release should be available soon after.
If you are interested in beta testing the Android drivers and have a Freedom Pro Keyboard please email [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and make sure you state which model Android device you have.
Please note that the Android drivers are for the Freedom Pro keyboard only and will only work with Android devices running 1.5 and above.

If the KeyPro driver already works with the Freedom Pro keyboard...and it does...why bother?

mikes

Reaction score
please email xxx This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
I'm sure he really appreciates your putting his email into the open.

tobias

Reaction score
Point me in the right direction?

"Android Drivers!!! We have had many, many request for Android drivers and the good news is that they are almost ready. We are currently only developing Android drivers for our Freedom Pro keyboard. We are about to go into the Beta stage and the public release should be available soon after."

Just got the boss a Motorola Droid at the Verizon store, now he is asking for a folding keyboard to go with it. I've been combing forums looking for a glimmer of hope since it looks like originally the Droid did not offer HID (Human Interface Device) Bluetooth Functions. However, it know sounds like the Freedom Pro Keyboard will end up working with the Motorola Droid. Is that correct? If so, what time frame? Please advise? Thank you!

trpster

Reaction score
"Android Drivers!!! We have had many, many request for Android drivers and the good news is that they are almost ready. We are currently only developing Android drivers for our Freedom Pro keyboard. We are about to go into the Beta stage and the public release should be available soon after."

Just got the boss a Motorola Droid at the Verizon store, now he is asking for a folding keyboard to go with it. I've been combing forums looking for a glimmer of hope since it looks like originally the Droid did not offer HID (Human Interface Device) Bluetooth Functions. However, it know sounds like the Freedom Pro Keyboard will end up working with the Motorola Droid. Is that correct? If so, what time frame? Please advise? Thank you!

You must not have been combing the forums very thoroughly; two posts above I mention that with the Keypro driver, the Freedom Pro already works...so the timeframe is as soon as you want to download it. In fact, I'm currently out of town, and using the Freedom Pro to post this reply.

bernilynn

Reaction score
I'm having a problem connecting the Droid to the Freedom Pro Keyboard. I downloaded the KeyPro driver; bluetooth is on; the driver located the keyboard and found the address. When I press "save" the Droid says "connecting" and then stays that way. Never says paired, or disconnect- just stays at connecting. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

trpster

Reaction score
I'm having a problem connecting the Droid to the Freedom Pro Keyboard. I downloaded the KeyPro driver; bluetooth is on; the driver located the keyboard and found the address. When I press "save" the Droid says "connecting" and then stays that way. Never says paired, or disconnect- just stays at connecting. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I should have made detailed notes as I got the thing working, but I flailed around a bit...mainly because I'm averse to reading manuals and directions. It seemed logical to me that step 1 would be BT pairing, but that turns out to be a non-issue; BT just needs to be on. (You did set the switch to SPP didn't you?) There's a hole near the on-off switch you can poke to make the keyboard visible for pairing, but it seems to be in the pairing mode when it is turned on, so I've never had to poke it. Here's the process I use that always works:
Turn on BT
Launch Keypro, and immediately turn on the keyboard.
The Keypro driver first says connecting, then connected...and at this point you're good to go.
I'm assuming you watched the video about using the Keypro driver...it would have eliminated my initial flailing, I think, but I didn't watch it until I was already flailing.

bernilynn

Reaction score
Thanks!

I should have made detailed notes as I got the thing working, but I flailed around a bit...mainly because I'm averse to reading manuals and directions. It seemed logical to me that step 1 would be BT pairing, but that turns out to be a non-issue; BT just needs to be on. (You did set the switch to SPP didn't you?) There's a hole near the on-off switch you can poke to make the keyboard visible for pairing, but it seems to be in the pairing mode when it is turned on, so I've never had to poke it. Here's the process I use that always works:
Turn on BT
The Keypro driver first says connecting, then connected...and at this point you're good to go.
I'm assuming you watched the video about using the Keypro driver...it would have eliminated my initial flailing, I think, but I didn't watch it until I was already flailing.

Tried again. Uninstalled and then re-downloaded Keypro. Followed instructions. First Keypro couldn't find any keyboard- then it found the Freedom Pro. I got to connecting, and after several minutes, a message appeared saying there was a "problem pairing with bluetooth device". Then it goes back and tries to connect.
Could I have a defective keyboard? It's brand new, just came today. I am on SPP. In fact, I've tried to rapid switching from HID to SPP. That didn't help either.
Where is there a video, please?

bernilynn

Reaction score
It works!

Thanks!

Turn on BT

Tried again. Uninstalled and then re-downloaded Keypro. Followed instructions. First Keypro couldn't find any keyboard- then it found the Freedom Pro. I got to connecting, and after several minutes, a message appeared saying there was a "problem pairing with bluetooth device". Then it goes back and tries to connect.
Could I have a defective keyboard? It's brand new, just came today. I am on SPP. In fact, I've tried to rapid switching from HID to SPP. That didn't help either.

But please don't ask me how that happened, because I'm not sure. I went to the Freedom Pro website and followed their instructions, which called for trying to pair from the within the bluetooth settings, and entering a code (0000). That seemed to do it.
Thanks for the help!

Berni

trpster

Reaction score
Turn on BT

But please don't ask me how that happened, because I'm not sure. I went to the Freedom Pro website and followed their instructions, which called for trying to pair from the within the bluetooth settings, and entering a code (0000). That seemed to do it.
Thanks for the help!

Berni

Wow. I wasn't able to get it working by BT pairing. I did find this link, though, that you should tuck away somewhere in case things go awry:
http://www.mymobilegear.com/download/Files/KeyPro_Android_User_Manual.pdf

bernilynn

Reaction score

Thanks for the help!

Berni

Wow. I wasn't able to get it working by BT pairing. I did find this link, though, that you should tuck away somewhere in case things go awry:
http://www.mymobilegear.com/download/Files/KeyPro_Android_User_Manual.pdf

Got it, thanks!

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
First of all the Universal 2 is a piece of crap!

It totally sucks!

But i'm stuck with it. My problem is there is no driver for it.

Can you help me find a driver that would allow me to use this keyboard.

I'm hesitant to purchase keypro because the free one doesn't work at all. does anyone know if the 10 dollar one works better or if there is another driver?