Froyo has no Alarm Clock shortcut? Help!

benhaube

Reaction score
If you add the stock analog clock widget to your homescreen it will act as a shortcut straight to the alarm. I know the clock is a lot larger than the alarm icon, but its better than nothing.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
If you add the stock analog clock widget to your homescreen it will act as a shortcut straight to the alarm. I know the clock is a lot larger than the alarm icon, but its better than nothing.
So it does! That's cool. That makes it a little simpler. If you're happy with the big widget that is a solution in and of itself. If you don't like the big widget you could edit the database and change the icon, description, etc.

Thanks!!!

benhaube

Reaction score
So it does! That's cool. That makes it a little simpler. If you're happy with the big widget that is a solution in and of itself. If you don't like the big widget you could edit the database and change the icon, description, etc.

Thanks!!!

No problem! :)

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I was going to mention two things:

If you have Beautiful Widgets (like everyone should), the default action for tapping the clock is to load the alarm clock.

"Alarm Clock Plus V2" from the market is the best. It is the stock app (Nexus version, much better than Droid's, you can see your wallpaper in the background, even LW) but heavily modified with extra features. There's a free version with ads and a paid version (AdFree is a nice app for root users ;) )

BuglessFan

Reaction score
I've been using the free version of Alarm Clock Plus V2 (by cvp) for weeks now, and I've never seen an ad. Where/when do you ever see 'em in the free ones? I may buy the paid version anyway to support development (they've been updating often), but I'm just curious why I never see ads (I don't have any ad blocker unless it's built into BB).

Edit: Nevermind BB does have ad blocking built in.

Last edited:

DEdwards22

Reaction score
I was going to mention two things:

If you have Beautiful Widgets (like everyone should), the default action for tapping the clock is to load the alarm clock.

"Alarm Clock Plus V2" from the market is the best. It is the stock app (Nexus version, much better than Droid's, you can see your wallpaper in the background, even LW) but heavily modified with extra features. There's a free version with ads and a paid version (AdFree is a nice app for root users ;) )
BW takes me to Clock, not Alarms. I also have no option to change the BW clock application to Alarms.

OSX2000

Reaction score
"Retro Clock Widget" from the market. Tapping the clock brings you directly to alarms.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Although there are apparently some alternatives out there, I was able to successfully re-create a "native" Alarms shortcut. The way I did it was a lot more difficult than it needs to be. Coding a widget to do this would be pretty simple once I get the hang of Eclipse.

Anyway, if you lose your precious Alarms shortcut, here's how you can re-create it:

You need SQLite Editor (paid app.) from Marketplace in order to do this. Presently SQLite Editor doesn't show up in Marketplace if you're running 2.2 (at least it doesn't for me), so that's a separate problem you have to deal with.

1. Put a shortcut to Clock somewhere on your home screen (open the Launcher, find Clock and long press it).
  2. Open SQLite Editor and scroll to Launcher (com.android.launcher) and tap it.
  3. Tap launcher.db to open the database.
  4. Tap favorites to open the favorites table.
  5. Find the record for the Clock shortcut you created. It will have "Clock" as the title.
  6. Scroll to the right so the "intent" column is on the screen. Long press inside the intent column for the Clock record. Choose "Edit Field".
  7. Replace the contents of the field with this (precisely and exactly -- it would be best if you copied and pasted so it's exactly right):
    Code:
    #Intent;action=android.intent.action.MAIN;category=android.intent.category.LAUNCHER;launchFlags=0x10200000;component=com.android.alarmclock/.AlarmClock;end
  8. Tap "Save".
  9. Exit out of SQLite Editor.
When you return to the home screen where your Clock shortcut was it will now be an Alarms shortcut. When you tap it you'll go straight to the Alarms.

If you really want you can also edit the "title" column of the record and change it from "Clock" to "Alarms", but it doesn't matter. It will say "Alarms" on the screen either way. Changing the title might just help you avoid confusion the next time you're playing in the database.

Edited to add: If later on you want your Alarms shortcut moved to a different home screen/panel, you don't need to delete it and redo all of the above. If you long press the shortcut and drag it to the edge of the screen and hold it there, the panels will slide. You can keep doing that until you're on the screen where you want to drop it.

Last edited:

porr1

Reaction score
alarm won't turn off

since I did the manual 2.2 update my alarm won't turn off is anyone having the same problem?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
since I did the manual 2.2 update my alarm won't turn off is anyone having the same problem?
You mean like you can't disable it so it is no longer in effect, or when it starts buzzing in the morning you can't make it stop?

rjax

Reaction score
FYI, for those who are rooted or thinking about rooting, the Sapphire ROM has the ability through the terminal emulator to use the switchapk command to replace the Froyo Clock app with the old Alarms app.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Instead of a shortcut, I simply use a clock widget that is the same size as a single 1x1 screen icon!

There's a developer called Factory Widgets who has the following Micro Clock Widgets for free in the market.....

Link >>> Micro Numeric Clock Widget 1x1 - Android app on AppBrain
screen

Link >>> Micro Numeric 2 Clock 1x1 - Android app on AppBrain
screen

Link >>> Micro Clock Widget 1x1 - Android app on AppBrain
screen

Link >>> Digital Micro Clock 1x1 - Android app on AppBrain
screen

dancedroid Again... these are not just icons, but they're small 1x1 clock widgets that show the correct time, and when you tap on the widget, it will take you directly to your alarms!

:) I hope this helps!

Game4set

Reaction score
If you want a simple way of getting the alarm shortcut back this is what you have to do: You have to have the latest version launcherpro for this. So you long press the home screen then go to Shortcuts>Activities(Wait for it load)>then scroll all the way to Clock>then add Alarms. Bam you're got an alarm shortcut.

Now I'd appreciate it if someone could find a way to go to the alarms using the BW widget :) .

MarkY3130

Reaction score
+1 for the LauncherPro method. I was about to suggest the same method until I saw the post above. It is simple, free, takes you straight to the alarms, and uses the same icon as the stock "clock" app or a custom icon of your choosing. You can even modify the label to say "Alarms" or whatever you like.

slipstreamapps

Reaction score
The missing alarm clock shortcut bugged me too, so I made an app to put the shortcut back in the application drawer. One-click install, no worries.

You can install it from here
Or just read about it here

If you like it, please be sure to buy the donate version here!