frg22 e:signature verification failed

rcbjr2

Reaction score
I manually updated my droid with the frg01b(?) build this a.m. My droid 1 is not rooted. This worked just fine. However, when I now try frg22, I get the frg22 e:signature verification failed error and it won't update. I followed all of the usual instructions (e.g., renaming file to update.zip, putting it in root folder, etc.) (and it worked for frg01b(?) so I did the same thing for frg22). Should I have gone straight to frg22 from 2.1? Would that have worked? Shouldn't frg22 install over frg01b?? How can I get rid of the "signature verification failed" error??

Thx.

-Rich

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I manually updated my droid with the frg01b(?) build this a.m. My droid 1 is not rooted. This worked just fine. However, when I now try frg22, I get the frg22 e:signature verification failed error and it won't update. I followed all of the usual instructions (e.g., renaming file to update.zip, putting it in root folder, etc.) (and it worked for frg01b(?) so I did the same thing for frg22). Should I have gone straight to frg22 from 2.1? Would that have worked? Shouldn't frg22 install over frg01b?? How can I get rid of the "signature verification failed" error??

I had the same error on my unrooted Droid 1. In order to install FRG22 I'm pretty sure you have to be using SPRecovery since it isn't a "signed" release.

I used these instructions just using the FRG22 file in place of "a 2.1 rooted ROM" and that worked fine.

Hope that helps.

OP
R

rcbjr2

Reaction score
Thanks. I will try that. I don't really want to root the phone, but in reading the instructions, it looks like install a couple of applications and then instead of doing a rooted 2.1 install, I just substitute frg2.2 instead. This is a bit more complicated than I can accomplish here at the office because several of the sites where I need to download apps are blocked. ;-) I'll have to try it this weekend at home.

Thx.

OP
R

rcbjr2

Reaction score
I think you would have to root your FRG01 install first.

-Mike

I think you might be right. At least all the posts I see for FRG22 call it the "root" version. Oh well. Not sure I want to do that, but we'll see. I'd love to have Titanium Backup running, though. As much as I mess with the Droid, though, not sure I have even more time to download special ROMs, etc. ;-)

Thx.

-Rich

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I think you would have to root your FRG01 install first.

-Mike

I didn't. I started with an original, stock, non-rooted 2.1, and then flashed on SPRecovery and then used SPRecovery to put the rooted FRG22 on. Heck, I even (accidentally) skipped the "Wipe cache partition" step and it still went fine. No odd results yet. Still haven't found anybody who knows (or has replied and said) what potential problems I should expect from not wiping anything before going straight from stock, non-rooted 2.1 to rooted FRG22.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me try to clear this up. With the first Froyo came an update that you could use that was not rooted. However every other update since then comes with a root. That means that when you rename the file to update.exe SPRecovery will install the update AND root your Droid.

Let me know if you have other questions. I think this is where the misunderstanding is.