Force Close in Messaging

keith5885

Reaction score
This is very strange.

I have a Droid and download many random apps. Many of them run and I kill them often to not have a laggy performance but it still happens quite a bit. I get many random force closes from all kinds of apps. Very annoying and I feel like I am the only one.

Problem:

Steps to Create force close everytime in Messaging:
1. Compose new message
2. Type in "D"
3. Type in "A"
4. *Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped (no wait button to choose)

Once A is typed it always force closes (40 times in a row)

I have restarted with no luck.

Any ideas? Will go see verizon soon...

novacane

Reaction score
I tried the steps on my DROID and it didn't force close so it may be one of the applications you downloaded or you may have just gotten a glitchy phone.

EDIT: Maybe try a battery pull? Or factory reset?

OP
K

keith5885

Reaction score
How do you do a factory reset and what does it remove??

OP
K

keith5885

Reaction score
Just went to Privacy and did factory data reset.

After activation and signing into my google account... it went to the desktop.

All shortcuts are gone but my desktop is the same custom image.

Syncing is still occurring as I can see the icon above. Nothing seems to have synced yet... going to wait till syncing is done. time is 6:24

6:25 Just got a new email message alert for gmail.

6:26 All my applications are restored and in the application list...

signing into facebook and logging in.

Just tested the "DA" issue and it works!!

Other apps need me to redo the settings...

Everything seems much quicker and snappier at the moment. Hopefully this fixed a few things... I just uninstalled all un-used apps too.

dannydoes

Reaction score
Now I'm getting the same thing (Messaging force closing quickly upon starting it up). Just started happening. The only thing I've installed new was the recent update to Astro File Manager. The phone in general has gotten more and more laggy. I've only installed 8 or 10 apps. Very disappointing.

dannydoes

Reaction score
Hey Keith, any chance you installed Handcent SMS on the phone before this started happening? Also, did the droid happen to crash before this happened to where it was locked on a dark screen and you had to pull the battery? That crash happened to me, then that's when the messaging software broke.

dannydoes

Reaction score
YO! I think I found the solution. It definitely fixed mine and Keiths too and you prolly wouldn't of had to reset your phone.

If you have lots of text messages that you haven't deleted, mine was around 250, then it starts force closing and can lock up the phone. As soon as I deleted a good chunk of them, it was all back to normal. Must be a memory type issue.

phytphyr

Reaction score
hey kieth mine is doinfg same thing it is driving me crazy mine does it on th " S " key as well!!! hmm i have the SMS pop up app downloaded on mine i wonder if that is what is doing it?? do you have that app loaded on your droid?

phytphyr

Reaction score
yes i have no messages in my in box! this is starting to piss me off since it is a pain in the but to enter contacts in a message anyway!! how come we cant just scroll through our contacts and pick out who we want to send a message to??? :mad:

jebbunks

Reaction score
Mine has been black freezing and restarting since I got it 5 days ago. At first I thought it was because of the numerous apps I dled when I first got it so I reformatted the sd card and did a factory reset. Within a day, it's back to the same crap, so it's going back. Unfortunately, I have to be without service for a day because I got it from wirefly.com to save 50 bucks... and I have to have them put another 400 on my credit card as a deposit until they receive my phone in the mail. Great potential, hope to hell my new one isn't buggy so I don't have to give up on it.

iTzNiTeFoX

Reaction score
yea im having the same problem i downloaded handcent sms then my phone crashed to black screen. Afterwards i removed the app and downloaded chomp sms but it kept force closing. so i removed that and i am having a big problem with it force closing and its starting to piss me off.