flashlight app?

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
After the last update, I cannot chose to dim or turn off the screen. I cannot check the box or move the slider

volando

Reaction score
also, when clicking on the icon (which is ridiculously big now!!) and not clicking it inside the box that changes color (like on the edge of the widget, which, as i mentioned before is quite huge) it makes a heptic feedback buzz and doesn't do anything.

eclipsed4utoo

Reaction score
After the last update, I cannot chose to dim or turn off the screen. I cannot check the box or move the slider

That's because you have Automatic Brightness on. Automatic Brightness overrides any settings changes that I make, which caused people to think my app was broken. I can't do anything about Automatic Brightness, so I decided to disable the "Torch" options if Automatic Brightness is enabled.

eclipsed4utoo

Reaction score
also, when clicking on the icon (which is ridiculously big now!!) and not clicking it inside the box that changes color (like on the edge of the widget, which, as i mentioned before is quite huge) it makes a heptic feedback buzz and doesn't do anything.

you are clicking outside of the "click area" of the widget. The clickable part is actually just the inside image.

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U

That's because you have Automatic Brightness on. Automatic Brightness overrides any settings changes that I make, which caused people to think my app was broken. I can't do anything about Automatic Brightness, so I decided to disable the "Torch" options if Automatic Brightness is enabled.

Too bad.

Hmmm....before the update it was turning off my screen.

I also prefer the previous widget icon

eclipsed4utoo

Reaction score

Too bad.

Hmmm....before the update it was turning off my screen.

I also prefer the previous widget icon

For about 95% of the people, it didn't work correctly. If Google gave me a way to enable/disable the auto brightness, I wouldn't have had to disable the settings.

I am releasing an update tomorrow to allow you to choose which widget icon you want.

volando

Reaction score
I am releasing an update tomorrow to allow you to choose which widget icon you want.

awesome, thanks! the current clickable area of the icon is great, better than the wooden torch, however the border is big and kinda photoshop-1999-y and should go :)

if you're open to additional feedback here's what i found:

1. screen dimming works (only after full reinstall, upgrading didn't work for me)
2. screen turning off doesn't work at all
3. screen dimming only works in app mode - which i don't think most people use on a regular basis - can the settings apply to widget mode?
4. widget not removed from home screen when you uninstall app, empty box remains with text "problem loading widget"
5. In list of applications, MotoTorch LED is listed between Calculator and DockRunner... it somehow manages to break the alphabet ordering which no other app I have does!

thanks!

eclipsed4utoo

Reaction score

awesome, thanks! the current clickable area of the icon is great, better than the wooden torch, however the border is big and kinda photoshop-1999-y and should go :)

if you're open to additional feedback here's what i found:

1. screen dimming works (only after full reinstall, upgrading didn't work for me)
2. screen turning off doesn't work at all
3. screen dimming only works in app mode - which i don't think most people use on a regular basis - can the settings apply to widget mode?
4. widget not removed from home screen when you uninstall app, empty box remains with text "problem loading widget"
5. In list of applications, MotoTorch LED is listed between Calculator and DockRunner... it somehow manages to break the alphabet ordering which no other app I have does!

thanks!

2. Do you have Automatic Brightness enabled? Does the screen get brighter when you turn the LEDs on?

3. I am still working on that. In the app, I dim the "window" that you see. However, the widget doesn't have a "window", so there is nothing for me to dim. Currently in Android 2.0, dimming the window is the only way that works. The other way to dim the screen is to change the brightness of the device, which doesn't work from the SDK. Hopefully one of the coming patches will fix this.

4. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

5. Do you have the Donation version? If so, that's why. That list is not sorted by application name. It's sorted by the last part of the package name(which end-users normally don't see). In the donation version, that last word is "donation". That's why it's sorted where it is.

Oh, and incase people haven't noticed, I suck at photoshop. Programming is what I do, not graphics. I just try to get by with the graphics.

volando

Reaction score
2. Do you have Automatic Brightness enabled? Does the screen get brighter when you turn the LEDs on?

3. I am still working on that. In the app, I dim the "window" that you see. However, the widget doesn't have a "window", so there is nothing for me to dim. Currently in Android 2.0, dimming the window is the only way that works. The other way to dim the screen is to change the brightness of the device, which doesn't work from the SDK. Hopefully one of the coming patches will fix this.

5. Do you have the Donation version? If so, that's why. That list is not sorted by application name. It's sorted by the last part of the package name(which end-users normally don't see). In the donation version, that last word is "donation". That's why it's sorted where it is.

Oh, and incase people haven't noticed, I suck at photoshop. Programming is what I do, not graphics. I just try to get by with the graphics.

2. nope, with automatic brightness enabled nothing works (because of android limitation)... with it disabled the screen dims correctly, however the turn-off tickmark doesn't change the behaviour at all, is it actually supposed to completely turn off the lcd?

3. ah, makes sense... hope there's a way to add that later.

5. nope, regular version. i had your paid-version before but after you changed the product id have just been downloading the non-donation version.

thanks for looking at these, and i sure know what you mean about photoshop, i'm exactly the same way... eye candy 3000 is as fancy as it gets :)

eclipsed4utoo

Reaction score

2. nope, with automatic brightness enabled nothing works (because of android limitation)... with it disabled the screen dims correctly, however the turn-off tickmark doesn't change the behaviour at all, is it actually supposed to completely turn off the lcd?

3. ah, makes sense... hope there's a way to add that later.

5. nope, regular version. i had your paid-version before but after you changed the product id have just been downloading the non-donation version.

thanks for looking at these, and i sure know what you mean about photoshop, i'm exactly the same way... eye candy 3000 is as fancy as it gets :)

2. yes, it should turn the entire screen off, though this takes about 5 seconds for it to "kick in".

5. hmm....that's interesting. I don't really know why then.

volando

Reaction score
2. oh, it actually does turn off after about 5 second, however that is irrespective of whether the 'turn screen off' is ticked, i figured it would do so immediately...

oh and one more thing - if you click 'exit', the screen goes back in brightness and the program exits, however the light remains on (it does correctly show up in the widget as still on though)... not sure if that's by design, it might make more sense to shut off the LEDs because people might figure exiting the program also cancels any actions it did...

eclipsed4utoo

Reaction score
2. oh, it actually does turn off after about 5 second, however that is irrespective of whether the 'turn screen off' is ticked, i figured it would do so immediately...

oh and one more thing - if you click 'exit', the screen goes back in brightness and the program exits, however the light remains on (it does correctly show up in the widget as still on though)... not sure if that's by design, it might make more sense to shut off the LEDs because people might figure exiting the program also cancels any actions it did...

5. Do you mean that your screen turns off after 5 seconds no matter if the "turn off screen" is checked or not? If so, set your screen timeout setting back to whatever. That was a bug in the previous version.

Exiting the program will stop the Strobe or the Morse Code. It will not stop the Torch since the Torch can also be controlled by the widget. That is by design.

Though if you hit the HOME button instead of exit, the Strobe or Morse Code will stay on.

volando

Reaction score
5. Do you mean that your screen turns off after 5 seconds no matter if the "turn off screen" is checked or not? If so, set your screen timeout setting back to whatever. That was a bug in the previous version.

Exiting the program will stop the Strobe or the Morse Code. It will not stop the Torch since the Torch can also be controlled by the widget. That is by design.

Though if you hit the HOME button instead of exit, the Strobe or Morse Code will stay on.

5. oh that was it, no interval for screen timeout was selected at all in settings... re-enabling it to a minute made the torch behave properly, awesome.

exiting: gotcha... one could argue that having a widget is optional, therefore it might be more effort to turn off in some usecases (have to restart program) but your way works too. What's not as cool is having the LEDs remain on if you uninstall the program (they only turn off if you take a picture) :)