Firefox 4 Now Available With Great PC Sync Capabilities

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;i8c6PbL2SQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8c6PbL2SQQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Mozilla’s Firefox browser is still one of the very few great alternatives to Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, and to keep this title, their latest browser has been evolved for the desktop and mobile phone users. The latest release of Firefox for the PC is Firefox 4, and it was released last week out of beta for general use. I have been using this browser since it was in 7th generation Beta, and I have to share with you how much I love it. The browser just does it all for me. Now the mobile version was also released, and I am using that as well, so here are my thoughts on that.

The new Firefox 4 for Android is one amazing browser. You can download and install the much smaller APK from the market now. The browser has support for flash, text reformatting, widgets, personas, and PC-Mobile sync. The PC-Mobile sync is my favorite feature because it allows you to use the desktop version, get up, get on your phone and your cache/log ins are on your phone already. You can just reopen the tabs you had opened on your laptop, but from your phone. This browser is very innovative and has become my only browser, replacing DolphinHD and Opera on my phone.

The video above gives you a better explanation of this new release, so enjoy.

Download: Mozilla Firefox 4 Release Candidate for Android and Maemo Now Available | The Mozilla Blog

Last edited by a moderator:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually dl'd this yesterday and the first message i saw when opening was "your device is not supported" (D1). it was slow for me, unbearably slow, but the sync thing was pretty cool. I'm sure it works great on the supported phones though

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I actually dl'd this yesterday and the first message i saw when opening was "your device is not supported" (D1). it was slow for me, unbearably slow, but the sync thing was pretty cool. I'm sure it works great on the supported phones though
Yes, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4G and mine is supported and fast enough for it, bu the problem is... Samsung doesn't leave you much app memory... so I had to delete a bunch of my apps and games just to install it. :( I can't wait to get whatever HTC or LG phone comes to T-mobile.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Be careful updating to Firefox 4.0 on your PC if you have Norton and like the Norton toolbar and the search site ratings. You will lose the toolbar and the ability to see the Norton rating for search sites. I updated to 4.0 and had it for a day before I uninstalled it and reverted to 3.6.16, at least until the Norton problem is solved. Norton does still protect you against malware, but does not give advance notice. I'll wait a bit longer for 4.0 until I am sure that there are no other problems.

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
It certainly hasn't replaced Dolphin HD for me. Not all of my desktop bookmarks show up on mobile and they are always rearranged in total chaos. Then it'll sync make my PC's bookmarks in the same way. Glad I know how to restore my bookmarks. Yes, the latest FF Mobile is much improved over all the betas that I tested. I would like to keep it as my main browser since that's all I use on my PC. Hopefully it will step up a bit more. At least it's not such a CPU hog like in beta stages.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Be careful updating to Firefox 4.0 on your PC if you have Norton and like the Norton toolbar and the search site ratings. You will lose the toolbar and the ability to see the Norton rating for search sites. I updated to 4.0 and had it for a day before I uninstalled it and reverted to 3.6.16, at least until the Norton problem is solved. Norton does still protect you against malware, but does not give advance notice. I'll wait a bit longer for 4.0 until I am sure that there are no other problems.

Norton is a useless resource hog IMHO, It's the first thing we uninstall.
FF 4 is nice but Chrome works much better IMO.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Norton is a useless resource hog IMHO, It's the first thing we uninstall.

I have not seen Norton slow my computer at all since I installed the 2011 version 2 months ago. It also beats the rest of the products in all tests and reviews that I have read. In my opinion, it is the best of the available products. Reading many reviews of it and others, I am obviously not the only person who thinks that.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah it's nice, but for some reason Chrome won't give you the URL where you're at so if you want to Copy and Paste you have to go to another FF. I understand the reason is that I have Speed Dial set up on Chrome, but still.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Chrome on my computer is faster than FF, It is just lacking the download-them-all plugin that FF has. Stock Super Clean 2.9 Browser is nice on fascinate, don't know if FF is even worth trying on it, but I will.

Beardface

Reaction score
DESCRIPTION
Take Firefox anywhere. Go from desktop to mobile without interruption.
Welcome to our Release Candidate! Check Firefox Mobile System Requirements for a list of currently supported devices. Unfortunately, the Motorola Droid and Milestone are not currently supported.
Firefox is your Web, anywhere you go! You can now synchronize your Firefox history, bookmarks, tabs and passwords between your desktop and mobile. Discover and install add-ons right from your phone to customize Firefox exactly the way you like. Start a search in the Awesome Bar and surf the Web with less typing and more speed.

Taken directly from the listing on Android Market for Firefox Mobile

yamaha83

Reaction score
just tried ff on my thunderbolt and the page scrolling sucks!!! i get checkerboard all the time and have to wait for it to load?! WTF?

yamaha83

Reaction score
also, i really like the slide outs to show tabs and stuff. but i want a browser that has that same option for bookmarks as well!!!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well Firefox seems to load pages faster on my fascinate than with the stock browser that comes with super clean 2.9.1.

Wadman

Reaction score
I downloaded this earlier today. Man this really slowed my phone down. Tons of lagging and had to do a battery pull 3 times after downloading this. Uninstalled it and haven't had a problem since. Won't be using this. I got the squares when scrolling as well and it took forever to load. I understand though that for some reason certain apps work great on some phones, but won't on others.