Firefox 4 Beta available for Download

Miniblue

Reaction score
I have to agree - waste of battery or electricity, not to mention time to download. Logo is nice is about all I can say good. Never really ran as force closed on start, froze Droid for about half a minute and just as I was about to shut down it came up with the web page. I'll stick with Dolphin HD.

captclueless

Reaction score
Same issues as everyone else on here. Slowed my phone to a crawl. Had to reboot it to use the phone. Uninstalled it after only 5 minutes. I will be using the stock browser for quite some time apparently.
Do they even test their own beta's before sending them out. I can't imagine that anyone thought it was a good idea to release this out to the general public with it running this horrible.

p1ngputts

Reaction score
Great download! Not too sure why I haven't had a problem like everyone else but this is way faster than my old browser (dolphin hd). Nice find!

Jizzylax

Reaction score
This is complete garbage.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

thesandman00

Reaction score
They've already lost me as a user. That first beta they released was utter garbage.

you really dont grasp the concept of what a BETA is...it will be nowhere near what the final product will be..but its your choice

You really don't grasp the concept of not releasing a piece of garbage product to make a bad name for your product. That thing wasn't even functional so it shouldn't have been released. Very simple concept. The whole firefox brand has gone downhill, including the desktop client.

CnRS

Reaction score
Well I guess I am the minority but this shows a lot of promise I think. The biggest issues I see right now are lack of text wrapping and no flash support.

For those of you who are having problems, the release notes may explain why. There are very few phones on the fully compatible list right now.

Known Issues

These are some of the bugs in the latest nightly builds. We are working on fixing them.
Installation and Add-ons:

• Fixed: Firefox 4 beta 1 requires around 40 MB of internal storage on Android. This is fixed in Firefox 4 beta 2, which require around 17 MB internal storage when installed on the phone, or less than 5 MB internal storage when moved to SD card. If you used an older version, you must uninstall and then reinstall to free up the storage (bug 588607).
  • Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported yet.
Performance and stability:

• Fennec causes the Motorola Droid to freeze completely when loading certain web sites, or at other random times (bug 602252).
  • Fennec's JIT compiler is disabled on Samsung Galaxy S phones because of a bug in their Android 2.1 kernel. This means Fennec is slower on Galaxy S than on other devices (bug 601222).
User Interface:

• Text does not wrap to fit the screen after zooming in, as it does in the Android browser (bug 578179). The Bigger Text add-on addresses this problem in a different way.
  • Fennec does not yet include copy and paste commands (bug 585875).
Keyboard:

• You must hold down the Shift/Alt/Fn key while typing numbers/symbols/capitals on a hardware keyboard (bug 599811).
  • Fennec has problems with old versions of the SwiftKey keyboard when typing some characters. This is fixed in the latest version of SwiftKey (bug 598617).
See also the complete list of open Android bugs and release blockers in Bugzilla.

System Requirements

Fennec requires Android 2.0 or later. Installation requires about 17 MB internal or SD card storage.
Release builds of Fennec require a phone with an ARMv7 processor. Compatible devices include:

• [*]Acer Liquid E
    [*]Dell Streak
    [*]HTC Desire
    [*]HTC Desire Z (T-Mobile G2)
    [*]HTC Droid Incredible
    [*]HTC EVO 4G
    [*]HTC Nexus One
    [*]LG Optimus Z
    [*]Motorola Droid 2
    [*]Motorola Droid X
    [*]Samsung i9000 Galaxy S (Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant, Epic 4G)
    [*]Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

The following devices have compatible hardware, but have software problems running current versions of Fennec. These problems may be fixed in future releases:

• [*]Motorola Droid (Milestone) - Fennec crashes/freezes while running (bug 602252)
    [*]Acer Liquid (Liquid A1) - Fennec crashes on startup (bug 606194)

These devices are not compatible with our ARMv7-optimized releases, but might be able to run the experimental ARMv6 nightly builds:

• [*]Android SDK emulator
    [*]Augen GENTouch 78 Tablet
    [*]HTC Aria
    [*]HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1, Android Dev Phone 1)
    [*]HTC Droid Eris
    [*]HTC Espresso (T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide)
    [*]HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 Touch)
    [*]HTC Legend
    [*]HTC Magic (T-Mobile myTouch 3G, T-Mobile G1 Touch)
    [*]HTC Tattoo
    [*]HTC Wildfire
    [*]Huawei Ideos U8150-B
    [*]Huawei U8230
    [*]LG Ally
    [*]LG Optimus, Optimus T, Optimus S
    [*]Motorola Backflip
    [*]Motorola Cliq
    [*]Motorola Dext
    [*]Samsung i5700 Galaxy Portal (Spica)
    [*]Samsung i7500 Galaxy
    [*]Samsung Intercept
    [*]Samsung M900 Moment
    [*]Samsung Transform
    [*]Sanyo ZIO M6000
    [*]Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
    [*]ZTE Blade

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I havent tried it yet, but thanks for that post. If there are known issues with the Droid and other phones, folks cant complain too much then. Research ppl , research....its right there in the release notes.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just installed it...not too bad. No fc yet, I did have a script error on yahoo.com that froze it for about a minute, this is on an X with the first Froyo leak.

If it can get smoother, more stable it could be nice.

Sent from my DROID X using DroidForums App

devator22

Reaction score
I tried the first beta, and then gave up, but came back for this one, and the improvements are noticeable. It is technically faster than the first beta by quite a bit, but that's like saying syrup flows faster along a flat surface than it does uphill. It's painfully slow compared to the stock browser, and it dies when switching from portrait to landscape. I am running it on an OG Droid, and they admit to problems, so I won't judge it until they release the final.
Now for the good parts. The UI is tons better, and all around just feels like a complete product. Having sync built in is nice, since that's the only reason I would use this over stock. The storage space requirement was also much more reasonable, and interestingly when I moved it to SD it only took up around 140KB of space on internal storage. But anyway, I can say this is a solid step in the right direction, and I look forward to the final product.
Parting words: Considering Mozilla is a non-profit charitable organization run by volunteers, I'm not going to tear apart their products when they don't work 100%. Just a thought...

JavaJunkie

Reaction score
I find Dolphin Rocks, not sure why I would want Firefox mobile other some the adds on that may not be available for Dolphin.

Although, It may be Nokia's last hope to say relevant.:)

JavaJunkie

Reaction score
Darn, no edit post feature. I will be have to be better at spell check :)

I find Dolphin Rocks, not sure why I would want Firefox mobile other some the adds on that may not be available for Dolphin.

Although, It may be Nokia's last hope to stay relevant.:)

riko540

Reaction score
I had this app for a while but I ended up getting rid of it because it was slow and at the time it had no way to copy website addresses so I put them into a text editing app.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do think I would take Chrome or Opera over Firefox for mobile browser if the speed of the first to can match the desktop speed.

I think right now Dolphin and the stock browser are gonna be hard to beat.