Firefox Beta 4 Now Available With Big Promises

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Firefox for Android has not gotten any traction since initially being released, and for good reason. Those reasons are supposedly fixed now and the latest release promises a better experience if you’re interested. The browser was previously sluggish, a memory hog and just not worth it, but this new version has some pretty strong highlights. The most noticeable is that it’s faster than the stock Android browser, and also has better stability and reduced memory usage.
  • [FONT=&quot]Now faster than stock Android browser[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Nearly three times faster on Kraken JavaScript benchmark tests[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Twice as fast on SunSpider JavaScript benchmark tests[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Reduced installation memory usage[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Stability improvements[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Fixed keyboard bugs[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Improved zooming readability [/FONT]
If this sounds like something you’d like to try out… Head over to the Market, and give it a go.
Source (New Firefox 4 beta for Android released | Android Central)

techguru

Reaction score
Best build yet, but still no flash support, and it broke the adblock plugin again. Getting really close now though. Once it supports flash it will probably become my primary browser.

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
Certainly better than beta 3 but not up to Dolphin Mini or HD level yet. I hope so soon though. I love being able sync my bookmarks and browser history from my pc.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Tried it just a bit ago and it was way slow on my Droid even though my Droid has a CPU setting of 1266mhz.

mursepaolo

Reaction score
this thing sucks. i couldn't even get to type a URL. it kept crashing.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was eagerly waiting for this... but I've since retired my Firefox browser on my PC for Chrome and I don't have the urge to install FF on my Droid anymore :(

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

I take it folks don't bother to read app descriptions anymore?

Because it clearly says that the Droid and Milestone are NOT supported. Probably because the damn program is so freaking big that they don't have enough RAM, I dunno. The APK is 3MB larger than the desktop version for some reason.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I take it folks don't bother to read app descriptions anymore?

Because it clearly says that the Droid and Milestone are NOT supported. Probably because the damn program is so freaking big that they don't have enough RAM, I dunno. The APK is 3MB larger than the desktop version for some reason.

no most people don't read :)

bigger than the desktop? lol ... yet on a device where memory is at a premium?

elvyrorie

Reaction score
It still force closes swiftkey. I cant tell how fast the browser really is because it and swiftkey dont get along.

elvyrorie

Reaction score
It still force closes swiftkey. I cant tell how fast the browser really is because it and swiftkey dont get along.

Didnt realize I'd already made that comment late last night. Shows you how alert I am in the mornings.