Firefox for Android - February!

drmcstford

Reaction score

I just came on here to say something like this. I don't trust this source at all. Having followed the development of Fennec (Firefox Mobile) over the past year, Mozilla isn't making a product called Firefox Mobile and any news site calling it that probably doesn't have their sources straight. The last I heard on the Fennec front was that there was no release date set in the near future, especially February.
What a waste of an account, well when it come I will be waiting.

m21knight

Reaction score
Its pretty clear that most of you guys have never been involved in software dev. before. When writing anything for any platform, you need to reach a stable alpha version before you consider a limited beta release. Alpha releases are usually in house and are specifically desiged to determine whether the base code is stable on the new platform...hense a browser that does not browse, they want to know how bad the base code will damage the OS.

I do agree though...a browser that does not browse, kinda funny hu?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its pretty clear that most of you guys have never been involved in software dev. before. When writing anything for any platform, you need to reach a stable alpha version before you consider a limited beta release. Alpha releases are usually in house and are specifically desiged to determine whether the base code is stable on the new platform...hense a browser that does not browse, they want to know how bad the base code will damage the OS.

I do agree though...a browser that does not browse, kinda funny hu?

I'm sure that all makes perfect sense in your world. But at least you have an understanding about how it sounds in ours.:)

Guess you have to start somewheres, but I've never seen any other browser do this. I've seen some bad browsers step up and improve but not work at all?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

wow, after reading that blurb, they are way behind for Android... they are using full Firefox on an Android emulator at the moment LOL..

i wonder why it's taking so long ?and why they chose to work on Maemo first

Good questions and I don't have any good answers. But consider the following:

() Firefox is an open source-based browser that emerged from the Mozilla "movement." As such, its internal development process is much more transparent than that of, say, IE or Opera. Thus, there are "announcements" about Firefox development that would in analogous environments be purely internal processes and you'd never hear about them.

() Firefox' major competition is IE. As such it carries around all the bells and whistles of a true IE alternative. You may find that a good or a bad thing but what it means is that porting the browser to a phone environment is a VERY difficult task. (Anybody use IE on a phone? Argghhh.)

() I, too, am intrigued as to why Maemo was selected as an initial host environment for the Firefox browser. The answer, I suspect, is somewhere between "technical" (i.e. ease of porting) and "business" (support from Nokia for the port.)

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

wow, after reading that blurb, they are way behind for Android... they are using full Firefox on an Android emulator at the moment LOL..

i wonder why it's taking so long ?and why they chose to work on Maemo first

Good questions and I don't have any good answers. But consider the following:

() Firefox is an open source-based browser that emerged from the Mozilla "movement." As such, its internal development process is much more transparent than that of, say, IE or Opera. Thus, there are "announcements" about Firefox development that would in analogous environments be purely internal processes and you'd never hear about them.

() Firefox' major competition is IE. As such it carries around all the bells and whistles of a true IE alternative. You may find that a good or a bad thing but what it means is that porting the browser to a phone environment is a VERY difficult task. (Anybody use IE on a phone? Argghhh.)

() I, too, am intrigued as to why Maemo was selected as an initial host environment for the Firefox browser. The answer, I suspect, is somewhere between "technical" (i.e. ease of porting) and "business" (support from Nokia for the port.)

great points. Android doesn't "need" Fennec any time soon, the stock browser is very good... just considering all the rumors swirling as to how Fennec's imminent release on Android was all but hype... i'm sure when it's released it will be very stable and fast, and will likely have flash support out of the gate

gentlefury

Reaction score
did you see the next thing in line is a port of vlc that doesn't actually play anything.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maemo got it first because Nokia is the largest cell phone producer in the world. Makes sense to work on them first from a business POV.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say that after Nokia got it, RIM Blackberries may get Firefox.......and then maybe we'll get it...I hope so cause I really like Firefox. Thats what I'm using right now!

Aluminum21

Reaction score
if there is no pinch zoom either they shouldn't even bother releasing it

ShowTime

Reaction score
Aww... I saw this thread resurrected and was hoping for good news regarding a release.... What a tease!