Final Froyo Release for Sapphire by CCRoms V2.02 Next Up Gingerbread

shawner47

Reaction score
Sadly this is the last release of sapphire. Its developer has joined cyanogenmod. There may not be much activity in this forum right now. The sapphire code has been picked up by others that will build upon his work. There is an upcoming team of devs called team phoenix and also davros has based his latest verson of project gimpsource on sapphire.

sent from my rooted nook color

Does that mean that we won't be seeing any more from ccroms.net or am I reading that incorrectly? I LOVED Sapphire and was really hoping for a Gingerbread release from them.

EDIT: Ok, so it appears that I wasn't reading it wrong. Too bad though, I REALLY was hoping for the Sapphire version of GB. Oh well, I guess I'll be trying out gimpsource. Hope it's as good as everyone is saying. :)

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sadly this is the last release of sapphire. Its developer has joined cyanogenmod. There may not be much activity in this forum right now. The sapphire code has been picked up by others that will build upon his work. There is an upcoming team of devs called team phoenix and also davros has based his latest verson of project gimpsource on sapphire.

sent from my rooted nook color

Does that mean that we won't be seeing any more from ccroms.net or am I reading that incorrectly? I LOVED Sapphire and was really hoping for a Gingerbread release from them.

EDIT: Ok, so it appears that I wasn't reading it wrong. Too bad though, I REALLY was hoping for the Sapphire version of GB. Oh well, I guess I'll be trying out gimpsource. Hope it's as good as everyone is saying. :)

Gimpsource 3.1 is awesome my friend. Davros Ginger Bread is pretty good too.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well, it was a sad day yesterday. I finally dropped Sapphire and installed Cyanogenmod 7 rc2 for my Droid. I think I died a little. The transition wasn't smooth at all, unfortunately, and I had to do it about 5 times before I finally got it to stop locking up while booting. On the plus side, I now have gingerbread on my Droid and it does seem to be a pretty awesome ROM. Anyway, I just wanted to thank the Sapphire crew one more time because I really truly will miss this ROM.

EdTheUniqueGeek

Reaction score
Well, it was a sad day yesterday. I finally dropped Sapphire and installed Cyanogenmod 7 rc2 for my Droid. I think I died a little. The transition wasn't smooth at all, unfortunately, and I had to do it about 5 times before I finally got it to stop locking up while booting. On the plus side, I now have gingerbread on my Droid and it does seem to be a pretty awesome ROM. Anyway, I just wanted to thank the Sapphire crew one more time because I really truly will miss this ROM.

I did the same this week. However, I installed Peter Alfonso's Gingerbread ROM instead and am really loving it.
Peter Alfonso

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I thought about that ROM, too, but, knowing that CVPCS is working on Cyanogenmod now made me want to try that out. And quite frankly, it has a lot of what we loved about Sapphire baked right in, so, a lot of us will feel at home. I'm getting used to it now having only had it installed (properly) for about 10 hours now most of which I was sleeping. :) If you love and miss Sapphire, I urge you to at least take a look a Cyanogenmod. You might find you like it.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you're still rocking the Droid you should really be looking at CM7. I'm on it for 2 more days and will be upgrading to a Bionic. But CM7 has been awesome.

ParadingLunatic

Reaction score
I realize that Sapphire is no more as the developer joined the cyanogen team. I've tried CM7 and I'm not exactly happy running it. It seems to run unbearably slow on my OG droid no matter how much I overclock it. In fact, I haven't really been happy with any GB rom as they seem to slow down quite a bit after letting them run for a day. The OG just doesn't have the memory to handle it.

Anyways, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of how to hack the wireless in Sapphire to allow connections to ad-hoc wifi networks. I don't have access to a wireless point at work and the signal here is horrible. My only way to get data on the phone is to reverse tether which I do with my Asus TF101.

coovee

Reaction score
barnacle wifi tether is free

If u got droid1. Stick with froyo DC

ParadingLunatic

Reaction score
barnacle wifi tether is free

If u got droid1. Stick with froyo DC

I thought barnacle allowed me to only use my phone data to tether another device to my phone, not reverse tether. My problem is my phone doesn't get data and I'm using my wireless card at work to provide an Ad-Hoc wireless point for my tablet and phone to connect to.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
AFAIK the Droid hardware doesn't support ad hoc connections. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure of that.

Armyof2

Reaction score
I miss Sapphire..it was such a great ROM..DC has been great though, I'm glad someone stuck with developing Froyo since my phone too seems to hate GB..some people seem to have no trouble but after about a week GB just doesn't run properly

ParadingLunatic

Reaction score
I miss Sapphire as well. It's been the most smooth and stable ROM I've used for the droid. Besides trying a few of the GB Roms, I haven't bothered trying any other Froyo ROMs since GB came out. I might have to check out DC though. Either that or possibly just use the last Cyanogen 6 release for the Droid. I know it supported Adhoc connections on the OG Droid. I tried just yanking the wpa_supplicant from the last Cyanogen 6 rom but that didn't do the trick. Not sure if it's a combination of kernel and system files that I don't have or what. Most of the stuff I've read is that it's just the wpa_supplicant that needed to be compiled from source, but that has proven to not be the case for the droid.