Factory reset & recovery mode don't work

kesnik

Reaction score
Droid won't reboot after Factory reset & recovery mode.

I waited for the OTA 2.1 update but when I selected the "install" button, the phone shutdown instantly and stoped at the moto "m". I left it there for 3 hours and nothing changed. I pulled the battery and it rebooted to 2.0.1.

I attempted to update to 2.1 with the link off these forums. I downloaded the update file, changed the name to update.zip and put it on the root of the sd card. I tried to enter recovery mode by holding power button + x for some time. The phone lights up and goes to the moto "m" screen . . . But that's it. It will sit there for hours like that. I also tried a factory reset and I get a simular result. After going through settings and confirming the reset the phone shuts down and attempts to restart but hangs at the moto screen. I can get the phone to reboot by pulling the battery pressing the power button. Am I doing something wrong, or is my phone broke?

Please help!!

-Kesnik

OP
K

kesnik

Reaction score
bump

Aside from these problems the phone appears to work great. Before I tried to update i was very happy but now i can't get the functionality that everyone else has.

OP
K

kesnik

Reaction score
bad luck?

I took my phone to Verizon and the rep agreed there was something wrong with the software. The rep indicated she couldn't give me a replacement from their inventory in the store (the phone still worked). She said a replacement would be mailed to my residence and I would have to mail my old phone back.

The replacement phone came very quickly (less than 3 business days). I opened the box to find they sent me a refurbished product. I inspected the phone and it appeared to be in brand new condition but the sliding mechanism didn’t feel right. When I originally purchased my Droid I bought a hard plastic cover right from Verizon (don’t know the brand name of the cover). The cover fit perfectly on the old phone and didn't interfere with the sliding mechanism at all. I snapped the cover on this phone - major problems. The lower part of the cover makes contact with the back of the screen making sliding the phone open and closed way to difficult.

I suspect that the previous owner may have dropped the phone bending the sliding mechanism pushing it closer to the phone. Also, when using the touch screen in the closed position, the upper left corner of the screen hits the body making a tapping noise.

The phone I received today is my third Droid. The first one was great until one day it wouldn’t wake up. I saw the light blinking so I pushed the power button to wake the phone up and nothing happened. I pulled the battery and the phone wouldn’t turn on. I took it to Verizon and they gave me a replacement on the spot. I am very careful with my phone (I have never dropped any of my Droids and always keep them in the cover).

Has anyone had any problems with the spacing between the body and the screen of the phone? Is there a variation from phone to phone? Would be considered normal?

-Kesnik

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Has anyone had any problems with the spacing between the body and the screen of the phone? Is there a variation from phone to phone? Would be considered normal?

-Kesnik

Actually, there have been a number of reports of keyboards "loosening" or manufacturing variations. Although you can't demand a "new" phone, if the refurb unit you've received is demonstrably defective, you should be able to get another phone. Since you apparently have the VZW cover from your old phone (I assume), I'd take it to the VZW store and demonstrate that it cannot be fitted to the phone you've received without "major problems" (as you put it.) If they agree, they should be able to arrange for you to receive another phone.

OP
K

kesnik

Reaction score
Ok, I would like to define major problems! On my previous two pones I was able to slide the screen open like there was no case on the phone. With the new phone when I slide the case open it feels like I'm going to break something. There is two distinct "bumps". It feels like, by pushing the phone open, I am prying the screen from the body of the phone.

I took the phone back to verizon and the told me to go &%#% myself (not really but it felt that way).

I guess I'm stuck with this used phone. I'm leaving the case on . . . Maybe it will wear in over time . . . . Or better yet it will break and ill get a new one. Though I'm sure if that happens they will say it isn't under warranty. Can't get a break here!!