Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So, I keep seeing a lot of the same issue popping up now that 2.1 is official. This thread was started to let people know which of those issues can be fixed by a factory reset.

In most (if not all) cases, it seems (at this point) that a factory reset is the only option to get things to work properly.

If you feel that you are still experiencing issues after a factory reset, it may also be necessary (not confirmed) to perform a wipe of the cache partition. (If you don't know how, follow the steps down below under the heading "The more involved way")

Without further ado, the list:

1. Picasa Albums not showing up in Gallery (MOSTLY an issue with MANUAL update)

2. Google Earth not showing up in the Market (PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK if this is your only issue. Members are now reporting in at least one thread on this issue that Earth is now showing up without a factory reset.)

3. Goggles showing up in the market as "free" instead of installed, though both versions are the same (Market not recognizing that Goggles is installed) This issue can LIKELY be fixed by simply installing the market version, which should "replace" your current version. Only really necessary if you care about updates. :D

4. Apps purchased while running a 2.1 rom not showing up in market (Possibly tied to the Google Earth issue. Basically, it is ASSUMED that the market is having trouble recognizing that we now have 2.1. I experienced this personally when searching for a Live Wallpaper I had installed while running Bugless Beast)

5. News & Weather (new stock 2.1 app) unable to find your location for weather forecast. (Please give this some time if it's your only issue, especially if you took the official pushed ota update. I've seen manual updaters have this issue and perform a reset with success, but I know that I took the ota and, after a few hours or so, my Weather was able to find my location. That was after I had already performed a reset)

6. General lag/overall slowdown. I've received several reports of people experiencing this problem benefitting from a reset as well.

If you feel that you would benefit from a factory reset, you can do so by completing ONE of the following procedures:

The EASY way:
-Click menu
-Click settings
-Click privacy
-Click Factory reset
-Confirm your option
-Phone will reboot and show a box with an arrow (and possibly a status bar below that) and then boot back up.

The more involved way
-Power phone off
-Open the slide out keyboard and hold the X key while holding the power button
-Phone will boot into recovery mode. You will know this worked when you see a triangle with a ! inside above a droid
-Press the VOLUME UP and CAMERA buttons at the same time. (Sometimes this is touchy, so try a few times if it doesn't work at first)
-You will now see text on the screen (the top says Android system recovery)
-Using the D-pad, scroll to wipe data/factory reset and press the gold button in the middle of the D-pad
-Allow the process to complete.
-To wipe the cache partition (optional step), use the D-pad to scroll to wipe cache partition and press the gold button in the middle of the D-pad again.
-When that process is complete, scroll to reboot system now, and select it.

That's it. Process complete.

If you know of any other 2.1-related issue that a factory reset will resolve, please let me know in a comment and I will add it to the OP when it's confirmed as a fix!

Please also feel free to ask any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them, or help find someone who can!

A factory reset removes all apps you've downloaded! For an easier way to reinstall your apps (if you haven't backed them up) visit http://www.appbrain.com/ and log in with your Google account (securely), then set up your list of apps to download and ALSO download the AppBrain app for your droid. Log in on the droid, then click to sync with AppBrain! You can also sync your apps with AppBrain BEFORE you reset to ease the reinstall process!

Here's official confirmation that a factory reset is likely to fix many issues, pulled from one of the threads I mentioned about these bugs:
I had the same issue as the OP the other day(restart after applying the official OTA results in an endless boot loop). I called VZW after I couldn't get it to boot to safe mode.

The support rep said this was an issue they had been receiving a lot of calls about.The fix she provided was to boot to recovery mode (hold X until the exclamation mark appears, press camera and volume up) and perform a factory reset. Once I finished the initial setup and reinstalling all of my apps and restoring all of my widgets and other things on my home screens I discovered (much to my relief) that while I had lost root access my custom boot animation and shell replacement (replaced sh with bash) were still there. Luckily reception and network conditions were good and none of my apps had been pulled from the market since the last time I had to perform a reset. So about an hour after installing the update and experiencing the problem I was finishing installing the last of my 50+ apps and putting my home screens back to the way they had been.

Apparently the cause of this issue (from what the rep said) was that in some cases the updater would install portions of the new OS to the SD card (which makes sense since the SD card isn't mounted until after the initial boot process has completed). One theory she suggested for avoiding this issue was to remove the SD card before applying the update.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

J

Johnly

great news, but 2 power cycles solved my issues. I think a factory reset can't hurt either.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
great news, but 2 power cycles solved my issues. I think a factory reset can't hurt either.

Didn't solve the two-to-a-few of these issues that I had, and from what I've read on several threads, didn't solve issues for others either.

IMO, a factory reset only hurts my homescreen setup and all of my free app downloads...Haha!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Bumping this because I added a quote from another thread where someone had spoken with customer service and was told that these issues are not uncommon.

The rep suggested a factory reset and explained that it's not a bad idea to pull the sd card before updating.

mendy817

Reaction score
does the "more involved" way have any advantages? and does the easy way not wipe the cache partition?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
does the "more involved" way have any advantages? and does the easy way not wipe the cache partition?

Since the option only says factory reset, I don't think it wipes the cache partition if you do it the easy way.

It's not a BAD idea to manually wipe it, as you may have stuff taking up space there that you don't need taking up space there, but I haven't seen any confirmation that it's necessary to fix any of these issues.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I want to sticky this thread. I'm not sure though I want to keep it here. I may move it to the General Discussion thread.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved thread to General Discussion as a sticky. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of 2.1 new thread questions.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to do a factory reset. I just decided not to care about google earth. But I did kinda care so I searched for it in the market and it now appears whereas in the last couple days it couldn't be found.

get quad

Reaction score
After reading all these problem threads and experiencing the same issues I decided to bite the bullet and go with the latter method (I prefer the console action). I even cleared the cache before and after to be safe.

I have to say, the phone feels a LOT snappier in general after reinstalling all the apps. It also got rid of an issue I had with an app which was uninstalled yet still asking to be updated.

The process of reinstalling was incredibly painless, so go for it if you have issues.

spower

Reaction score
Hmm, haven't seen anybody post with the issue I am having.
Seems since the 2.1 update (ota) when I touch an app that opens another menu, it is this second touch menu that I am having trouble with. I can't seem to get it to recognize my touching it to make a selection.
Any ideas??

celphtitled

Reaction score
anyone have good results with a factory reset for the lag issue?

i have not battery pulled or done a factory reset. yet very tempted too.

i currently am not running live wallpapers and is lag free. but i love the live wallpapers!!!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I searchedrched for it in the market and it now appears whereas in the last couple days it couldn't be found.

Yeah, I've seen others day the same thing. Added a note to the Google Earth part of the list for people to double check to see if it's sowing up now before doing a reset.

Seems since the 2.1 update (ota) when I touch an app that opens another menu, it is this second touch menu that I am having trouble with. I can't seem to get it to recognize my touching it to make a selection.
Any ideas??

Not sure I completely understand. Any apps in particular and can you walk me through what you're attempting to do, but can't?

i currently am not running live wallpapers and is lag free. but i love the live wallpapers!!!

I feel like my phone is a bit more responsive after the reset. Clearing the cache partition as well will remove some stuff in the memory that you might not be using anymore and free up space...

celphtitled

Reaction score

I feel like my phone is a bit more responsive after the reset. Clearing the cache partition as well will remove some stuff in the memory that you might not be using anymore and free up space...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

are you running live wallpapers after the reset? or static?