Exciting Stuff Coming Today: Unboxing and Full Review of the Motorola Droid 4

B-Unit

Reaction score
Its not you, its the rumor mill. Sorry, didnt mean to insinuate that you personaly were responsable.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Thanks.
That's me with the D5 or D4maxxDE coming Saturday. It's old, very old joke and not funny anymore (never was). Those jokes have been out since the D4 was suppose to be released in December 2011 (well at least the D5 version of the rumor).

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wishing "nothing but the worst upon" anyone is frowned upon both here and in society in general. Please refrain and if you must - keep your ill wishes directed at yourself. :mad:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Yes you are right. I am just a little angry with Motorola at the moment and I am lashing out. My comment was non constructive. I will be avoiding phones with encrypted bootloaders and nonsense security protocols in the future though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes you are right. I am just a little angry with Motorola at the moment and I am lashing out. My comment was non constructive. I will be avoiding phones with encrypted bootloaders and nonsense security protocols in the future though.

All good here. We are all simply trying to help each other and some of us are rather smitten with Motorola and our RAZRsand MAXXs. Any comments that are adversarial or the like make us feel less apt to help.

That said, what exactly are you disappointed with regarding "security protocols", and why is the locked bootloader such a concern? With the Fastboot file now available, the bootloader isn't an issue. As for security protocols, I don't exactly know what specifically you are referring to.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
All good here. We are all simply trying to help each other and some of us are rather smitten with Motorola and our RAZRsand MAXXs. Any comments that are adversarial or the like make us feel less apt to help.

That said, what exactly are you disappointed with regarding "security protocols", and why is the locked bootloader such a concern? With the Fastboot file now available, the bootloader isn't an issue. As for security protocols, I don't exactly know what specifically you are referring to.

Well the fact that I had to run cdt fix me script after I flashed my Bionic back to a previous build with rds lite, was kind of annoying. The fasboot flashing doesn't always go as planned either. Motorola takes months to release a half finished update for the Bionic, but punishes us if we try to fix it ourselves. At least Moto is finally pushing out another update now.

I also dislike the fact that we can't use typical recovery and or manually get into recovery if there is an error, bootstrap is nice but bricking is very easy. Safestrap is great but has some quirks.

Security protocols: Motorola doesn't want you flashing a different kernel, build, radio or getting into the bootloader or nandroid. There software makes it as hard as possible for you if go messing with these things - resulting in a bricked phone or a phone that is off the upgrade path. Something that I could fix on minutes in an HTC phone takes three times as long on a Motorola with its encrypted bootloader.

...and also development is pretty much dead on the Bionic, which is disappointing.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Security protocols: Motorola doesn't want you flashing a different kernel, build, radio or getting into the bootloader or nandroid. There software makes it as hard as possible for you if go messing with these things - resulting in a bricked phone or a phone that is off the upgrade path. Something that I could fix on minutes in an HTC phone takes three times as long on a Motorola with its encrypted bootloader.

This. The CPU in both the RAZR and the D4 is rated for 1.5Ghz, with potential for more. With an unlocked bootloader, owners have the option of utilizing this potential via a custom kernel. Without, more built-in obsolescence.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
...exactly, because Motorola doesn't want one to improve their phones, they want people to go out an buy a new motorola at full price. Just like they way a lot of people ditched their Bionic after only having it for 2 months because the Razr came out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well the fact that I had to run cdt fix me script after I flashed my Bionic back to a previous build with rds lite, was kind of annoying. The fasboot flashing doesn't always go as planned either. Motorola takes months to release a half finished update for the Bionic, but punishes us if we try to fix it ourselves. At least Moto is finally pushing out another update now.

I also dislike the fact that we can't use typical recovery and or manually get into recovery if there is an error, bootstrap is nice but bricking is very easy. Safestrap is great but has some quirks.

...and also development is pretty much dead on the Bionic, which is disappointing.

Well, it's great to actually put a cause to the anger. If we are all to both be helpful and also to all benefit, it certainly makes it easier to understand anger or frustration when we can see what steps or issues cause such anger.

I have seen all too often in the past (not referring to you here...) where someone expressed dire frustration after trying unsuccesfully to resolve a "manufacturer's defect", only to have someone come along and point to a little known resolution that was completely successful and would have prevented the entire OP's frustration had he simply posted what he was having a problem with rather than swearing after trying that this couldn't be fixed and going ballistic on the manufacturer for "poor engineering", "terrible support", and a myriad of other undeserved bashings.

I am not as familiar with the various hacks that you mention as you may be. I have never flashed a custom Kernal or Radio that I can recall however I've flashed several different ROMs for the D1 and D2. I also haven't done ANY overclocking (or even raising the clock speed to the spec'd rating as with some which are effectively underclocked from the factory), so I can't speak to the personal satisfaction that either can yield.

This. The CPU in both the RAZR and the D4 is rated for 1.5Ghz, with potential for more. With an unlocked bootloader, owners have the option of utilizing this potential via a custom kernel. Without, more built-in obsolescence.

...exactly, because Motorola doesn't want one to improve their phones, they want people to go out an buy a new motorola at full price. Just like they way a lot of people ditched their Bionic after only having it for 2 months because the Razr came out.

As for the processor speeds, I will clarify for you both that the RAZR, RAZR MAXX, AND D4 use the TI OMAP 4430 processors which are NOT spec'd at 1.5Ghz, but at 1.2Ghz. In fact, TI's own site still shows the 4430 rated at "upto 1Ghz"...see below (click to enlarge) or go here.

View attachment 47180

There are actually two versions of the 4430, the earlier one (shown above) released in March 2011 clocks at 1Ghz, the other more recent iteration (in the RAZRs and D4) at 1.2Ghz. On the other hand the TI OMAP 4460 IS spec'd at 1.5Ghz (as shown above) but the Samsung Galaxy Nexus uses that processor, not the RAZRs and D4. Furthermore, Samsung actually UNDERCLOCKS the 4460 to 1.2Ghz. The HTC Rezound uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8660 Dual-Core processor and is actually clocked at 1.5Ghz so perhaps that's the confusion?

Last edited:

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I think you'll have to pry it from our "cold dead hands"! We are already fighting over it in the office. Maybe when the dust settles you can swoop in and "vultch" it. LOL

Seriously though... we are excited to be sharing an exclusive with you guys today!
That's awesome. I just got my own Droid 4 as well, and hopefully I can hitup a quick review and a comparison with one of the devices they forgot to take from me (galaxy Nexus, Droid Razr, or something).
I look forward to your full review and videos :) have CK hit me up.