Motorola Droid 4 Already Reviewed by Wirefly (Video)

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I sort of agree... This moment here (when og droid got rooted) is what changed the game for ever. To have an all metal phone that was a tank with the ability to do all kinds of cool stuff. Og droid users couldnt wait to show our iphone buddies our new roms with live wall papers, smoked glass theme, ans overclocked. The fans brought motorola back from nothingness and yet motorola seems to show no love for us.

I disagree with the "(when og droid got rooted)". That did not change everything. Having another choice besides Apple or even a smartphone available is what changed everything.

I would have to say most users did not root. I know a few on another board (nothing to do with tech but has a tech section for Android users) and several don't want to root or don't know anything about it (and don't want to know). I never rooted my Droid 1 and don't regret it at all. I've had trouble, yes, but I use my Droid more then any other phone I have in the past. It's become my handheld computer and more.

jedihep

Reaction score
Fact is it's still a razor and not a worthy successor of the Droid! It is an old chip, they have new in the wings but want to pump the public for cash producing absolutely nothing new! Shame on moto for following the crowd instead of being a leader! SLACKER DEVELOPMENT nothing less and absolutely nothing more! Sure it's faster than the D1 but for a new phone that is a razor with a slide out keyboard it should be discounted much higher! Again it's still a razor and not a worthy Droid! If they are to produce a Droid successor then give us something more than a repackaged phone for our money! In a market of 4g the D3 should never have been released with a 3g radio period! Moto is simply practicing crap marketing to get more for their developmental Buck! If you wish to settle for less then by all means be my guest, but my dollar is valued higher than that!! Also believe me moto gets feedback from me both positive and along the line of the latest Droid successors, negative!! The best feedback is still hurting them where it counts, in their pocketbook by not purchasing repackaged crap! If they want my cash and that of the army of true Droid fans then they'll give us something new, something to get excited about, and stop treating the Droid like a redheaded step child! No offense to the redheaded stepchildren, but you know what I mean! And by the by I have not rooted my Og but think it helped the Og to contine to live on!

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
jedihep....you do realize no one, especially Moto, is twisting your arm and making you buy this, or any other phone for that matter right? I mean for real...its just a phone..a device to make calls first and foremost..all the other bells and whistles are just that, bells and whistles. Your Corvetter/Cavalier comparison still works here...both are primarily vehicles to get you from point A to point B...anything else is just extra crap that you paid entirely too much for...

If you really think the D4 is not more technologically advanced than your D1, then I feel somewhat sorry for you...you are missing out, albeit in just bells and whistles, but thats what you seem to be most interested in! The D4 is faster by miles, has more storage onboard as well as expandable, a larger and better looking screen, a better keyboard and overall appearance, as well as a 4G LTE chip for faster browsing and downloading...nothing about he D1 can compete...

At the end of the day its your money and you can spend it as you see fit, but I will bet a dollar to a doughnut hole that Verizon will not shed a tear if you call and cancel your contract, nor will Moto if you dont buy this phone or any other they offer...you are but 1 in a few million...

jedihep

Reaction score
Firstly Bodybagz read the full thread and you might get the gist secondly never at any point did I state declare or insinuate that the D1 is faster or better. Again read the thread. What I do say is that in term of what was available back then in comparison to what is available now the D1 back then was head and shoulders above any thing on the market (an awesome buy for your dollar)! Now it's ONLY claimed to fame is that it has a slide out keyboard! As far as big red or moto not sheading a tear, true enough. But as you must have missed because you chose not to understand that if enough people do take a stand and voice their opinions big red and others will take notice and YES, even change their ways and policies as exhibited by their recent reversal on their payment charge! As far as your analogy that cars are simply transportation to get from point to point this is true enough as such we all only then need one type of phone made by one manufacturer to make calls and maybe you could even make an argument access the internet so we all then souuld be limited to the iPhone 1 or the. D1! So let me ask you this? What piece of crap did you then frivolously spend too much money on!? As this argument of yours goes I'm then quite frugal choosing to not upgrade on extra crap that I'd have paid entirely too much for! :p So in accordance with your analogy you shouldn't feel sorry for me. Again read the thread through and maybe next time don't make a self defeating argument /analogy. My D1 may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts!dancedroid

loki993

Reaction score
The specs are out on the D4 and it is the same processor that's in the razor which is my point exactly! This processor came off the drawing board this time last year and went into devices like the razor and hit the public's hands months ago (multiple plural here)! Thus old news old chip! Give us something new for our money and support of a great device! And as far as it being a razor with a slider I agree and that is all it was ment to be I agree again! You simply bolster my point! If all the hype of the Og's success simpley rested on a slider with a current processor it wouldn't be the most successful smartphone with a loyal and almost fanatical following that is still strongly supported by the developer community! So if they want to release the razor with a slider more power to them just don't besmurch the OG Droids name with a ba$tard type slacker device! They should then have called it the razor slide and released a true D4! Why wouldn't they do this, because released along side a real D4 it would be an unprecedented failure! This simply put is slacker development! If I wanted a razor I'd have purchased one and not have waited for a real Droid successor!!!!

if you waiting for something as revolutionary as the og driod youll be waiting forever. The reason it was so revolutionary was because there was nothing like it when it came out. Back then it was a palm or bb. A jump like that probably just isn't possible. There are so many different smartphones now its crazy. All because of the og but because of that that quantum leap isnt possible.

I mean Its like not buying a new core i5 laptop because laptops havent changed enough since you bought that first ibm 386.

Sent from my DROIDXified ICS D2

jedihep

Reaction score
I hear you and agree that a leap like that doesn't come often but I'm simply asking for is something patterned more after the OG and something different than is already out not a restamp or clone of another phone with one or two minor differences. Put a new chip in it! There is no need to put it out just because they added a sliding keyboard! If that is the case then there was absolutely no reason not to release it the exact same day as the razor was! It doesn't even offer any of the upgrades of the global razor. Come on!

debdroid1a

Reaction score
If you want something different go to windows. Android is Android on anyh phone.

Yes put out a phone with a keyboard. Believe it or not, people still like keyboards.

And you did not read my post explainig why it wasn't released late last year. The D3 owners cried it was too soon after the D3.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
if you waiting for something as revolutionary as the og driod youll be waiting forever. The reason it was so revolutionary was because there was nothing like it when it came out. Back then it was a palm or bb. A jump like that probably just isn't possible. There are so many different smartphones now its crazy. All because of the og but because of that that quantum leap isnt possible.

I mean Its like not buying a new core i5 laptop because laptops havent changed enough since you bought that first ibm 386.

Sent from my DROIDXified ICS D2

Like.

What I was thinking but you wrote it better.

jedihep

Reaction score
If you want something different go to windows. Android is Android on anyh phone.

Yes put out a phone with a keyboard. Believe it or not, people still like keyboards.

And you did not read my post explainig why it wasn't released late last year. The D3 owners cried it was too soon after the D3.

Most certainly did read it and covered it earlier, read mine fully! I'm asking for something more akin to a true Droid and not a razor slider which is all the "new" D4 is! Nothing new about it but the slider, and certainly nothing to get excited about!!! This is the basis of my complaint. Nothing to get excited about and the deviation from the things that made the Droid great ie plastic case, nonremovable battery, lack of new tech from what is already offered! Come on read!!

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Most certainly did read it and covered it earlier, read mine fully! I'm asking for something more akin to a true Droid and not a razor slider which is all the "new" D4 is! Nothing new about it but the slider, and certainly nothing to get excited about!!! This is the basis of my complaint. Nothing to get excited about and the deviation from the things that made the Droid great ie plastic case, nonremovable battery, lack of new tech from what is already offered! Come on read!!

You did not read my post. Because you asked why Moto didn t release the D4.

And this IS something to get excited about! From my D1, single core, 3G, etc., to a D4 with all the bells an whistles, very exciting.

If you aren't interested you're posting on the wrong forum in. The wrong discussion. There's a skeptical thread on the Droid 4 section. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184410

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

jedihep

Reaction score
You did not read my post. Because you asked why Moto didn t release the D4.

And this IS something to get excited about! From my D1, single core, 3G, etc., to a D4 with all the bells an whistles, very exciting.

If you aren't interested you're posting on the wrong forum in. The wrong discussion. There's a skeptical thread on the Droid 4 section. Official "Unimpressed/Skeptical " Thread

Yea umm ... it's called a rhetorical question. Look the meaning up. I also stated that the D3 should have never been released in the form it was. And finally this is the place for this, the question was made in the initial post "what do you think" tied to related search tags "Droid 4 review" and "is the Droid 4 worth it" so I've stated my opinion of what I think, clarified why I feel this way, and defend my position. I will continue to do so as is my right. If all you wish to hear is go buy this then I've stated that as well. I haven't said that this is junk, it is a good device, but it is still just a razr with a keyboard and that I evpect more from moto for this specific device. I haven't bashed you but have made clear arguments against what moto is doing and why it alienates users and fans of this device specifically. If you have a problem with my posts then I welcome you to ignore them. This is though an open discussion on opinions of a review and value of this device.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
You're welcome to wait, but you're goin g to be waiting for a long time.

I'm not.

This is what I want. I looked at the Razr and liked it, but love a physical keyboard. So I'm glad this is just the Razr with a keyboard. Makes me happy. I hope you find sommething that makes you happy instead of being angry at a company and situation you have no control over.

Good luck in your search for the perfect phone.

loki993

Reaction score
I hear you and agree that a leap like that doesn't come often but I'm simply asking for is something patterned more after the OG and something different than is already out not a restamp or clone of another phone with one or two minor differences. Put a new chip in it! There is no need to put it out just because they added a sliding keyboard! If that is the case then there was absolutely no reason not to release it the exact same day as the razor was! It doesn't even offer any of the upgrades of the global razor. Come on!

You are right though there is no reason it should have taken them this long to release it. It was ready, pretty sure we had pics, when the Razr was. I'm sure holding the release was purely a business decision. Thing is Im sure there are people out there that may have bought the Razr that would have preferred a phone with a keyboard. Not everyone is patient enough to wait.

Dont get me wrong this phone is far from perfect, but the fact that they finally made a phone that 1 isnt huge, 2 has a nice keyboard, is dual core and has LTE It may be good enough for me.

Dont worry though the D5 is probably right around the corner, maybe that'll get a quad core lol.

Remember too the Nexus has a what 2 year old GPU in it and that was supposed to be a flagship phone. Not to mention the possibility of Sprint getting the seriously beefed up one with the new hardware 3 months after it was release on V$, which it was supposed to be exclusive to at one point. Its not just moto, they all do it. I have my own issues with the Nexus though. Kinda feel the same way about it you do with this phone. Only thing is the Nexus was supposed to be a top end flagship device, but somehow it get very generic hardware.

Last edited:

jedihep

Reaction score
I am trutly glad you like the device and I am sure it will serve you well, it is not a bad device in the least. I am however not angry with moto and have been an ardent fan of Motorola for years, from their surfboard cable modem and with their phones, going all the way back to their star tach flip phones, etc. But I expect alot from a company that has proven time and time again, more than capable of producing astounding technology. So I expect this from a line such as the Droid. For the company to opt out and label this as a successor to the Og line is a shame on them and on the OG line that revitalized a stagnating market for them. Not because the D4 as it stands, is a bad device, far from it in fact, but because this is a repackage of a device that was released in the begining of November with only the addition of a keyboard and minus several components that made the Droid line fantastic and iconic devices and real performers, workhorses, and tanks to boot. They couldn't even do us the kindness of adding the Maxx's battery as a consolation for waiting. It's just sad to see the Droid line treated this way, a second rate afterthought, by a company capable of better and of being a leader in the market and commanding respect amongst it's peers.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Firstly Bodybagz read the full thread and you might get the gist secondly never at any point did I state declare or insinuate that the D1 is faster or better. Again read the thread. What I do say is that in term of what was available back then in comparison to what is available now the D1 back then was head and shoulders above any thing on the market (an awesome buy for your dollar)! Now it's ONLY claimed to fame is that it has a slide out keyboard! As far as big red or moto not sheading a tear, true enough. But as you must have missed because you chose not to understand that if enough people do take a stand and voice their opinions big red and others will take notice and YES, even change their ways and policies as exhibited by their recent reversal on their payment charge! As far as your analogy that cars are simply transportation to get from point to point this is true enough as such we all only then need one type of phone made by one manufacturer to make calls and maybe you could even make an argument access the internet so we all then souuld be limited to the iPhone 1 or the. D1! So let me ask you this? What piece of crap did you then frivolously spend too much money on!? As this argument of yours goes I'm then quite frugal choosing to not upgrade on extra crap that I'd have paid entirely too much for! :p So in accordance with your analogy you shouldn't feel sorry for me. Again read the thread through and maybe next time don't make a self defeating argument /analogy. My D1 may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts!dancedroid
I will reply a last time, and then go my merry way...
Ummm, I did read the entire thread...it would be counter-productive to not do so and then respond to a single out-of-context reply. My original reply was a reply to multiple replies you had previously made..starting with this one --->http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ady-reviewed-wirefly-video-2.html#post2004232, because you seem to be quite twisted over what you personally conceive to be a failure by Moto to provide what you personally think is a good/great/comparable successor to one of their many devices.
What you fail to understand concerning Verizon reneging on their proposed $2.00 fees, is that that concerned every paying customer of a mobile device on The Verizon Network, while an individual phone on said network does not comprise the same number of people, therefore will not carry the same weight! Same thing for Motorola...D1 users vs Droid X, Droid X2, Droid 2 and even Droid 3 users are just customers of the one Network...what about any and all other networks that dont have "Droid" lines of product...still just a small drip in a large bucket overall. Think I`m lying, just look at the oveerwhelming success of the "Motorola Unlock Bootloader Petition"...plenty of signatures, but just an inkling of the numbers that actually own a Moto phone...and still the bootloaders are locked except for the D1 and the Xoom.
Fact is, and I would still beat a $1.00 to a hole in a doughnut that the vast majority of Verizons users of slider-based smartphones would in fact agree that the D4 is miles ahead of the D1 in every aspect albeit 1...and thats the 1 that they are most likely not to care about, the locked bootloader of the D4..because the majority of customers dont have a clue or are completely unaware of what a locked vs unlocked bootloader is...these forums can lmost prove that for you daily...
The sliding keyboard on the D4 is a great selling point for Moto and Verizon...what other 4G LTE phone on Verizon has this key feature, with the proven build quality, call quality and pure slickness? The fact that it is basically a Razr with a Slide keyboard is awesome for someone still rocking an out of date, barely hanging on D1..sorry if thats not you, but it is a lot more than you, and thats who Moto/Verizon are looking to sell to.
I didnt go broke when I upgraded my last phone, a Verizon branded HTC Touch, to the Droid X...I too am frugal, and play my upgrades accordingly, and thus scored my Droid X, the flagship device at the time, for the princely sum of $99.00 with free shipping from VZW! This was a hell of an upgrade from the HTC in every way...and guess what, it still does exactly what I wanted it to do when I bought it, therefore I see no reason to upgrade to any other "new bad-a$$, Johnny-come-lately" device...nor do I feel like you that Moto "owes" me anything. You want to gripe about Moto and their practices, why not jump them for the Droid X2 debacle...and then I will bash with you..

In the end, vote with your wallet..see what happens...maybe you get proven righteous...but I wouldnt be betting the house on it...
BTW, thanks for the "kid"...been a good 30 years since I was called kid...