Exchange email not working after Update

Coltair

Reaction score
Yesterday morning my Droid had an update available, I went ahead and went through with it. Then my exchange email stopped syncing on my Droid. It was working fine up until yesterday morning after the update but now I get an error saying: "Unable to open connection to server".

I've checked the settings and everything is setup the way it should be.

I was wondering if anybody else is having the same problem or have heard of this problem?

I'm on the first Droid model.

Jamb

Reaction score
I sure hope this is not the case for me I just got exchange working after 3days and I need it to keep working also.:greendroid:

WillRunForBeer

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. It was chewing up the battery trying to sync, and so I deleted the account now I can't recreate it. I'm running FRG22D on a droid.

WillRunForBeer

Reaction score
I called verizon and after very little debugging they asked me to 'factory reset' my unit, claiming that I'd still be able to find all my applications because they are linked to my google email account. But it turned out they're not, and by the way the factory reset didn't fix the problem.

It is actually a real problem with the latest update. Not sure how that got through their testing.

The CSR figured that out *after* my factory reset. I'm still angry about that as I'm still recoverying.

They had me download 'touchdown' as a temporary workaround. I hope this is fixed quickly as touchdown trial only lasts 30 days. And it puts an obnoxious signature on the bottom of emails unless you buy the full version.

Jamb

Reaction score
I bought and installed touchdown and well worth the purchase as it started less than three minutes after set up!dancedroid

Mcgill56

Reaction score
Verizon has known about this but still pushed it

I have had problems since last Wednesday. Verizon gave me the same song and dance (after 3 days) about having to use a third party ap (Touchdown) just to get my email from my office exchange server and I am paying an extra $45 per month to be able to access the exchange server. This is insane for a company to push out junk OS (knowing it has a flaw since the middle of August) without adequately testing it. I have wasted alot of time trying to get it fixed and they don't know when they may fix the problem.

Jamb

Reaction score
I too pay the extra Verizon fee for unlimited use, but I was so glad to have it working with the touchdown app it really was worth paying the extra $20.00 for me to have instant access to outlook. I saw somewhere on here that Motorola is offering to DX owners to pay in some type of reimbursement for people who need the Touchdown for exchange mail. I actually had the OWA version working without touchdown but could not download or save attachments and sync my outlook calendar . Do a search in forums if you feel that badly about the fee.:beer2:

Utzz

Reaction score
Just here to say I'm in the same boat with my Exchange account now being defunct (has been working flawlessly for me since Day 1 release of the Droid) and my battery being totally drained in a matter of hours after this update. No, I haven't bothered with Touchdown, nor am I going to pony up $20.00 for something that worked just fine before an update. I have since factory reset my phone which took care of the battery drain issue (in battery info, the email client was clearly the culprit) but now I also can't re-setup my Exchance account and am instead greeted with a "Force Close" error message. The phone is stock, btw.

This is BS.

UPDATE: Problem solved - Download "Improved Email" from the market. It's free and is identical to the stock email client. It boggles my mind that Motorola released an update that broke core functionality and tried to push a $20.00 on me app to restrore said functionality when there was a free alternative.

Last edited:

matto1901

Reaction score
same problem....vz and motorola losing points

having the exact same issue and need access for work. Can't believe they would push an update without such core functionality. Anyone hear if they are planning on fixing this or simply pushing their $20 app?

Dunc

Reaction score
Same issue. I just unrooted my 2.0 droid (yeah I was still on 2.0 until today lol) and did an stock install to 2.2 FRG22D. I can't access my Outlook at all now either. I'm trying to create an account but when it start to "retreive" my info it gives a force close error.

Last edited:

Timberwolf

Reaction score
I am also having problems with both og my exchange accounts. I've never set them up on my droid but I have all my information on how to set it up but when I try a few different things I will either get could not connect to server or it would say my username and password is incorrect. I know my username and password is correct. The email app doesn't work when I try to set it up as an exchange or POP3. also just a quick question but for when it it says domain\username I just have \username is there supposed to be something in the domain part?

Dunc

Reaction score
also just a quick question but for when it it says domain\username I just have \username is there supposed to be something in the domain part?
Yeah, my company needs the domain name before the "\".

Timberwolf

Reaction score
Okay thanks. Both of my emails are for college. Its weird because my email is [email protected] but the email and the server is contracted out and my login name is different and not firstname.lastname. I think that may be part of my issue?

Jamb

Reaction score
wow, sorry I misunderstood what you first posted. Can you refuse the upgrade, I would rather do without then lose my Outlook mail.
And as much as I would like to keep the Droid I would switch if it ment I couldn't sync with exchange. Did. anyone get the upgrade and try using touchdown.

droiddadi

Reaction score
Improved mail app from market works well. Moto screwed up with FRG22D