eWeek's top 10 reasons Android can't touch iOS

J

JohnDroid

android-vs-ios-reasons.jpg
The internet loves lists. Lists about the top 10 this, pro's vs con's, etc. When a topic is hot, this type of discussion seems to happen near constantly. So it's no surprise that we've seen our fair share of iPhone vs Android lists. eWeek has decided to tackle the latest iteration of this list with a "top 10 reasons" why Froyo can't touch iOS 4. While we may not agree with the list sometimes it can be helpful to read it and at least learn from it and see what we might be able to do better in the Android world.

Some of their main points (such as the fact that Apple understands customers better) are a bit off in our opinion. Either way here are their top three reasons and you can follow the link below for the rest.

1. Google isn’t so big on software - Google’s real plan with Android is to dominate the mobile advertising space. It fully realizes that the best way to achieve that goal is by doing whatever it can to capitalize on the desire for touch-screen smartphones with the help of Android. That’s precisely why Google offers its operating system for free. But due to that focus on eventual mobile advertising dominance, Google falls short compared to Apple on software design.

2. Apple understands consumers - Apple understands what consumers want and how they will use a particular product. That comes through in all the products the company sells, including its iOS platform. Google, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to understand consumers as well as it could. It’s certainly doing a better job than most companies, but it still has a long way to go to match Apple. In fact, Google’s consumer understanding seems to be more Microsoft-like than Apple-like. And that could be a problem -- especially for its operating system—going forward.

3. Multitasking - Multitasking on iOS is a key reason why Apple has enjoyed such success in the mobile market as of late. For years, consumers were hoping for true multitasking. But for years, the company made no promises. But in iOS 4, multitasking is running on the iPhone. Because of that, Google has a long way to go to match anything Apple is currently offering.

(Source: eWeek.com)

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can multitask on an iPhone? Doesn't my Droid do exactly that?

Slntagent

Reaction score
wow, this list has to be a joke of some sort.......please tell me its a joke to get our mind off of politics....

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
I don't get this my Droid can do just about all of that and I have the old Droid.

GT944

Reaction score
Come on people, Apple is obviously the pinnacle of human product achievement - Google is not aspiring to be exactly like Apple so they are obviously doing it wrong...

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

harv2000

Reaction score
Amazing, an entire list of 10 items and I only see 1 item that in my mind has real merit. #7 about the many variations of 3rd party vendor add ons has some merit, but even that should lead to better/stronger software overall. Of the rest of the points, to me they feel like they are coming from someone who is simply a fanboy.

My resume is that I use iPod Touchs for testing at work, I own and use an iPad (couldn't wait long enough for a quality Android tablet) and recently upgraded my Motorola Droid (bought it Nov 6, 2009) for a Motorola Droid 2 (wanted the hotspot).

Flat out, to me the article showed a lot of ignorance of Android.

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
I dont think this guy ever used an android, or at least understood how to use it. I can see where hes going at. It just takes some time and patience to learn how to fully use android while with the iOS is simple and easy to use.

epsilonbass

Reaction score
Prior to this article I've never heard of eWeek, and after this article, I never plan to return.

#11.Dragon Support: The iOS for many years has been cast under a great spell that keeps dragons away from entering the spirit of iOS. The android operating system on the other hand has never gone on record from Merlin or any of his associates to also have the Dragon-Banning Spell on the operating system. As of when this article was published on a few unconfirmed cases of dragon attacks have occurred on the Android Operating System, but without this spell in place how do you know that you won't be next?:icon_eek:

Reaction score
funny stuff

thats quite a funny article. did you guys post that on here just to get people riled up? haha dancedroid

DROID DOES!!!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
eWeek is cool. lol Dont let this one person spoil it for the rest of the magazine.

But after reading #3 here, I didnt even read the article. If the person writing the article can make that mistake about the iPhone, Android and multitasking...lol

Its no need to read the rest...