New Study Shows that iOS Crashes More Often Than Android

alboboy10

Reaction score
My friends "Google music" on his iPhone (note the quotation marks) kept crashing when I opened it when I was playing with it. Had a lot of other glitches too like the slider not working during phone calls. Problems that he had because he claimed his phone was hacked. So what I told him was "if you enjoy hacking your phone and tweeking you might wanna get an android its the only os that gets better when hacked and becomes more stable".

People say that the android market isn't as regulated as the iPhones but the iPhone has instabilities as well.

Its a nice phone but people need to realize that even if God made it it wouldnt be perfect.

I personally am not a fan of the iPhone because I've seen it crash a lot. And the supposed amazing feel of the internet browser is not actually that smooth either. I think people just like to exaggerate.

Even battery life, my friends 4s lasts a LONG time on standby while my other friends 4 loses battery really fast even on standby. And battery is supposed to be better on the 4. So like I said, problems with every device.

I'm actually not surprised by the results at all. All this talk about how "polished" the iPhone is, is making people dumb and making them go buy phones just because of what they've heard from other people as opposed to testing the phone on your own.

shiccy

Reaction score
I've never owned an iPhone so I have a question to ask...

On android when an app crashes you are given the OPTION to report the problem, much like windows. I never press the button to report a crash. Does iOS have this feature, or does it report back to Apple automatically?

I think that app developers can code this bc not all apps give the option to report back. This said, iOS has an option IIRC when you first set it up to report to Apple w/ crashes automatically. It's a changeable option, after the fact, if you desire to change this at a later time/date.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very good point.

I've had the Incredible, Incredible 2 and the iPhone 4S. There have been less crashes of my iPhone than either of my Incredibles. And none of those had enough significant crashes to have a second thought about.

I will admit that back when I had my iPhone 4, I was guilty of this as well. I would get excited and try running the app (game, usually) immediately, and then try it another 11 times or so before I decided to try following the instructions and reboot *LOL*

I'm sure people with behavior patterns such as mine skewed the statistics alot.

IDroid4s

Reaction score
My Droid razr used to reboot on me every few hours... Motorola phones are not stable at all.. I now have the Gnex its probably the most stable android ive used so far... my 4s has never crashed on me...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Trip3601211

Reaction score
2 days on my battery stats for the X2 with a 1990mAh extended battery with moderate usage. (Facebook, gmail, forums, browser, pic editor) not one reboot buy whats crazy is, if I am reading the pie chart correctly is, 2.3.3 is the worst and 2.3.4 is second worse? If so, those were the last two build for the X2 and thats CRAZY. 2.3.3 is deff. understandable and the OG Droid X is still on that build with probably the highest issues. As was the X2. I feel 2.3.4 isn't that bad but we could still use another update. Just my $0.02 on the readings here.

sent from Michael Joseph William Hines

pyro6128

Reaction score
I'm going to lay this down here and call this article / "results" of this complete and utter bullsh*t. I owned a Original Droid and then bought a Droid 3 when my contract was up. I had my Droid 3 for exactly 3 days before I sent it back, and one of my BIGGEST complaints was the crashes that occurred with the device. I have NEVER been so dissatisfied that I actually returned a device in less than three days. While the crashes were definitely not my ONLY complaint, it was one of the major ones. NOT TO MENTION on *more* than one occasion I was unable to make phone calls - including emergency ones - because it just flat out would not connect to the network at all until I rebooted.

Fast forward a bit to the phone that I got in exchange for the D3 - my iPhone 4. While I've not done much with the 4S (some friends have it), I can tell you that without a doubt my D3 AND OD BOTH crashed MUCH more than my iPhone - and I'm a power user, and have my phone connected at the hip.

In the YEAR that I've had it (or just shy thereof) I have had to reboot my phone approximately once a MONTH. Even with my OD I had to reboot at least every week due to SOMETHING on the phone not working right.

Again I say BULL. I hugely question the objectivity and how these "statistics" were obtained. Were they "crashes" as dictated by the OS? If so, I would surmise to say that Android probably just doesn't report as much. I say this because any of the "crashes" I've ever experienced went like this:

*open app*
"This app has had an error. Please send a message with your support info!"
*app functions flawlessly w/out having it force closed and/or having to close and reopen it*

Also, I'm not anti-Android by ANY means. I severely miss my Google Nav (NO app on iPhone comes even close), and tighter integration with Facebook and Twitter (not to mention being able to post to ANYTHING via the Camera Photo Album app (iPhone just does *not* do that, and it's a huge downfall / fail for Apple). This said, I can't say, BECAUSE of the quality control checks (or severely lacking thereof) that many Android manufacturers have had in the past disuade me against Android in the future. Maybe when the next Nexus comes out I'll change my tune, but as of right now, I'm quite happy with a phone that #1-works, #2-fits in my freaking pocket #3-construction is solid as heck. #4- and I know I'll get blasted for this one, but it's worth mentioning - look at the number of peripherals / accessories that are made for iPhone and now do the same for Android. Talk about mismatch! Definitely will stick with my iPhone & am looking forward to a 4G version (hopefully we'll get one this year *crosses fingers*)

So the study is wrong because you, a single person, says that your personal results are different? Thats not how statistics works. I would equate this to someone who smokes cigarettes saying that all of the cancer studies are nonsense because they have yet to get cancer. You're happy with your iphone, which is cool, but one person's differing results are not in the least bit significant enough to challenge the study.

Edit: I'm not saying the study is correct mind you, just that your logic is flawed.

Reaction score
So the study is wrong because you, a single person, says that your personal results are different? Thats not how statistics works. I would equate this to someone who smokes cigarettes saying that all of the cancer studies are nonsense because they have yet to get cancer. You're happy with your iphone, which is cool, but one person's differing results are not in the least bit significant enough to challenge the study.

Edit: I'm not saying the study is correct mind you, just that your logic is flawed.

Agreed. Just because he had bad experiences does not mean anything. My family has owned a total of 7 android devices and we have never had a single issue. No force closes, no reboots. Perfect devices all around. My sister in the other hand has an iPhone and complains all the time about issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I didn't mean to knit pick or be difficult. :)

Sent from my Liquified Galactic Unicorn.

I didn't see it that way at all brutha! I just wanted to add clarity. ;)

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
When I had the iPod touch 2g and 3g, one was 32 GB, the other was 64 GB, and apps had always crashed when I owned then during their proper life times.
The first device was stoled before I could replace the failing battery, the secong, I replaced the failed battery and then it failed completly.
Now I have an Android Samsung galaxy player 5.0, its awesome, the battery lasts and its epic, never failing. The only app that froze but never crashed was Facebook, and it was quickly fixed, and nothing ever crashes on this thing.
I like this as a mini pda and large phone, it gets the job done! :D
But I'd rather go with the Samsung slate 7 windiws 7 PC, because its Intel based and can do way more than an adroid or apple tablet...lol but thats just my opinion there. :p
I have used an Asus eee transformer prime, and its really nice, you have more things you can do where as with an iPad, your locked down by apple...lol

Netmammal

Reaction score
...Forget app crashes, how about the OS itself...

I liked my first Droid (Droid 2), but even it was a horror show for stability. The Droid 2 Global, which Verizon talked me into is a disaster. We are not talking app crashes, which apparently this (misleading) study is on about, we are talking phone OS crashes. I finally got the Bootlog Uptime app to figure out how often my phone was crashing. Its looking like it is a steady 5 day pattern.

Worse, after the crash, it fairly silently reboots itself, and then often forgets the Ringer Volume setting, and sets it to silent. Give me a fricken break!

I don't have an iPhone, but I recommend them to all of my non-technical customers (which basically means all of my recommendations.) I have a heavily used iPad, and and an infrequently used iPod, I don't recall either of them cashing. I'm pretty sure I've had an app crash on the iPad, but in general apps seem to be more stable than on the Droid.

I'll probably stay with the Droid phone because it forces me to keep a foot in the water, so I can help any customers who failed to ask/follow my advice.... right now I think Google, Apple and Facebook are all getting into the de facto monopolistic territory Microsoft used to have to themselves. The next 10-15 years are going to stink when it comes to privacy, choice, transparency and interoperability. I've like to say you can pick two out of the four, not sure if that is true.