Symantec Study Shows iOS more Vulnerable to Malware, but Android is Targeted More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
apple_malware.jpg
Android-malware.jpg

It's funny how sometimes reality doesn't match up with perception. One great example of this is that Apple fans typically claim that Apple's iOS is more secure than Android. According to a recent study by the security experts at Symantec, the opposite is true. Apparently, in 2012 a much larger number of security vulnerabilities were found in iOS devices than Android devices. Paradoxically, more bad guys target Android instead of iOS which is why the public perception isn't mirrored with reality. Here's a quote with a few more details,

The difference in threat level is a natural consequence of the two differing mobile ecosystem approaches: Apple’s walled garden vs Android’s open playground.

Symantec identified just 108 new unique threats to all mobile platforms in 2012, 103 of which targeted the Android platform vs one targeting iOS. Symbian was second after Android, with three unique threats identified, while Windows Mobile had one. But when looking at platform vulnerabilities Symantec said there were 387 documented vulnerabilities for iOS vs just 13 for Android. Elsewhere, BlackBerry also had 13, and Windows Mobile had two.

Symantec’s report notes:

"Today, mobile vulnerabilities have little or no correlation to mobile malware. In fact, while Apple’s iOS had the most documented vulnerabilities in 2012, there was only one threat created for the platform. Compare this to the Android OS; although only thirteen vulnerabilities were reported, it led all mobile operating systems in the amount of malware written for the platform. Vulnerabilities likely will become a factor in mobile malware, but today Android’s market share, the openness of the platform, and the multiple distribution methods available to applications embedded with malware make it the go-to platform of malware authors."

It's mostly ironic that Android is targeted more, except for the fact that there are far more Androids out there than iPhones. Still, it does make you wonder why the malware writers of the world tend to give Apple users a free pass.

Regardless, the next time your buddy/frenemy brings up that his/her iPhone is more secure than your Android, you can politely correct them with the real facts.

Source: TechCrunch

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Android is targeted more because of the ability to load apps without the use of an app store. iOS has their screening process (which has proven to be somewhat iffy anyways in recent news), but I can download an APK and install it with no issue. Plus, from my biased opinion, iPhone owners just like to text and use instagram for pictures of their food while Android users do much more on them :p.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus, from my biased opinion, iPhone owners just like to text and use instagram for pictures of their food while Android users do much more on them :p.

^^This, same with Windows vs OSX and just about any issue, security and reliability especially... Last I checked the real stats Apple machines had a much higher failure rate than most PCs, I know that I've have very few issues with and of my windows machines meanwhile my friends are constantly having to take their (more expensive) Apple products in for fixes. YMMV

Asgard

Reaction score
In the end, it kinda depends on the user, I consider myself an expert in what not to do when it comes to computer OS's because I've made computer crash running windows, OSX and Linux (Ubuntu) so no one can tell me that some OS or the other never crashes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The most noteable thing is how Symantec and others are trying so very very hard to convince mobile users of the threat (so they can profit from selling security).

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The most noteable thing is how Symantec and others are trying so very very hard to convince mobile users of the threat (so they can profit from selling security).

my friend downloaded one of these antivirus for your smartphone apps... I asked him if he was an idiot. He said he's just rather be safe... to which I asked again, are you crazy? you'll only get a virus if you GIVE yourself a virus.

he still has his antivirus app, gleefully sucking at his battery life and wasting his RAM.

riko540

Reaction score
I think android is targeted more not only due to it being able to install apps without needing the play store but also because it has a much larger user base. Its like why Windows has so many Viruses and Malware while OSX and Linux have very few viruses/malware. Most people/businesses use Windows.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most people/businesses use Windows.

Businesses are where the money is, and for some reason they seem much easier to infect despite superior security. I've rarely gotten viruses on my home computer, and I use just a couple free security programs. While I'm not stupid with spam and attachments and the like, I wouldn't exactly say my surfing habits are necessarily low-risk. I would guess most business infections probably stem from people bringing viruses from home via USB or emails from their home computer.

I don't do any banking or sensitive financial stuff on my phone. I don't really understand why people want to or need to. I'd sweat my gmail getting compromised, but I could deal with it. So I don't worry about viruses on Android. Although I guess, technically, if it was compromised then my home wifi would, too, and that could be a problem.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have said this a few times over the past 2 years...I block more malware on my desktop PC than I actually got hit with on my Android phone. Biggest difference is I'm more careful on my phone about what websites I visit.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
300+ holes,1 attack? I smell a cover up or fear of a frivolous lawsuit.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
^^This, same with Windows vs OSX and just about any issue, security and reliability especially... Last I checked the real stats Apple machines had a much higher failure rate than most PCs, I know that I've have very few issues with and of my windows machines meanwhile my friends are constantly having to take their (more expensive) Apple products in for fixes. YMMV

Bingo! My computer which I built myself last Feburary is still running strong with no issues. The only time I've had to redo the hard drive is when I put Windows 8 on it...which I may be reverting back to Windows 7 soon. I'm used to Win8 now and it has its cool features, but without a touch screen, it can be annoying too. I'm just lazy and don't want to do all the work of putting Win7 back on it because it does just keep running and running just fine. I work for the IT dept for my cities school district and so many teachers rave about and buy macs and have so many issues. Usually small ones but they end up taking it into the Apple Store and getting a freshly wiped computer back. Half don't know what backing up is and lose stuff at times too. Poor crapple customers.