ES File Explorer Receives Update Including Adware!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

One of the best free file explorers on Android just received an update. ES File Explorer was acquired by another company not too long ago who has decided the app would be a great way to bring in some revenue with bloated features. The latest feature to be added to the free version of the app is the new "Charging Boost" feature which promises to increase your charge times by 20%.

Instead of increasing charge speeds Charging Boost actually just places ads on your lockscreen. The lockscreen covers your stock lockscreen and shows a battery indicator plus an ad. The ad is nearly impossible to click as you unlock your device. Some devices will have this enabled by default after the update while other devices will require you to enable the feature.

via Play Store

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
For the past few months the developer of ES File Explorer has been adding ad and spyware on all of their free offerings. If you use it check your file system and you'll find extra folders. Those folders have ads and other files in them. A few users have also noted that the app is constantly sending data in the background.

Erase all of their junk apps if you have it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It has gotten so convoluted and bloated it's a pain to use so I've just gone back to the stock one anyway, which Kit Kat and Samsung ensured I need to be used to anyway when Google made aftermarket things unusable and Samsung abandoned my devices with KK onboard.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
After seeing a few posts now, here and other forums, about this new DU Quick Charge nonsense they are pushing with the newest app update, I uninstalled it last night. I have used it for years, but not now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad I've stuck with Astro File Manager all this time. I bought the premium key back in my rooting days, so hopefully, even if they sell to someone who wants to bog the free version down with ads, I'll be good.

Honestly, I don't really even use a file explorer that much anymore, but it's sad to see ES suffer this fate. I know it's one that's been highly recommended by many. Nothing worse than a quality app turning into garbage because of greed.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Money money money.

I use root explorer

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad I've stuck with Astro File Manager all this time. I bought the premium key back in my rooting days, so hopefully, even if they sell to someone who wants to bog the free version down with ads, I'll be good.

Honestly, I don't really even use a file explorer that much anymore, but it's sad to see ES suffer this fate. I know it's one that's been highly recommended by many. Nothing worse than a quality app turning into garbage because of greed.
I get my music from Amazon and sometimes a download drops in some weird spot and I have to go looking for it. Other than that I don't use one much anymore either.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

adaro

Banned
Reaction score
I use file explorer for a while, by reading this news I think that I will uninstal the app for another explorer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iphone 7 caractéristiques iphone 7

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I get my music from Amazon and sometimes a download drops in some weird spot and I have to go looking for it. Other than that I don't use one much anymore either.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Yeah. Sounds like you use one about as frequently as I do. Every once in awhile, I need to find some random file or check something, so I keep a file explorer installed, even if I don't use it for months. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Things certainly come a long way. Back 5-6 years ago, I was in my file explorer every day, it seems. Developers have really made strides in how things are organized. I remember having to create the ".nomedia" file in some app folders so their graphics wouldn't show up in my gallery. Haha

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
....this is the main reason I don't auto update apps. I don't like unexpected (& irreversible) changes like this, so I'll go through my apps one at a time, maybe once a month where I'll read the changelog & latest reviews to see if an app update is worth downloading. More often than not an app I downloaded 1-2 years or even just 6 months ago, is running perfectly fine and there's simply no reason to update it. I've been burnt too many times by blindly accepting an update only to realize it's completely changed the UI, added unnecessary features, or completely ruined what was once one of the best apps around.
Case in point: ES File Explorer.
Honestly it boggles my mind why more people don't do this. Kinda like taking and/or demanding the latest OS update for your device.... newer isn't always better folks.

btw, I haven't updated ES File Explorer in well over a year and it's running just fine & does everything I want. & with no ads!

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
....this is the main reason I don't auto update apps. I don't like unexpected (& irreversible) changes like this, so I'll go through my apps one at a time, maybe once a month where I'll read the changelog & latest reviews to see if an app update is worth downloading. More often than not an app I downloaded 1-2 years or even just 6 months ago, is running perfectly fine and there's simply no reason to update it. I've been burnt too many times by blindly accepting an update only to realize it's completely changed the UI, added unnecessary features, or completely ruined what was once one of the best apps around.
Case in point: ES File Explorer.
Honestly it boggles my mind why more people don't do this. Kinda like taking and/or demanding the latest OS update for your device.... newer isn't always better folks.

btw, I haven't updated ES File Explorer in well over a year and it's running just fine & does everything I want. & with no ads!

S5 tap'n
I used to use Astro and tried it again today. I didn't mind small ads at the bottom and I liked the look that so many complain is outdated. Well I'm outdated too so it for me fine as frog hair. Then I closed the app and a full page ad showed up. Bye bye Astro. I'll just stick to my stock one.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

boidsonly

Reaction score
I removed ES File Explorer over a year ago and installed Solid Explorer. No complaints and it has the same functionality that ESFE has.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I dumped ES last time we talking about this and went back to Astro.
Just like Jonny I used it daily in the 'old' days...not so much anymore.

I have like 130 apps on my phone.I'm not dealing with that manually. If someone puts out an update I don't like, I just move on to something else. Pretty easy nowadays with the robust ecosystem we have today.