NO More Shady LockScreen AdWare In ES File Explorer

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

After much backlash by the Android Community ES File Explorer has agreed to remove one part of the adware they have included in their app. Not to long ago ownership of the app changed hands and pretty quickly the free app filled up with intrusive ads. The benefits of this app were quickly outweighed by the overuse of adware, and many users began to pick up other file explorers in place of ES.

A recent update to the app removes the Charging Boost feature of the app which added an annoying adware lock screen. Their will still be ads but they will be less intrusive. I think many of us can live with this in favor of a free experience. Will it be enough or is the ES File Explorer name already blemished?

via Play Store

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is going to hurt es, but they can rebound.
I'm not against a developer making money for their apps. But es went too far.

Personally I already found a replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Those who were hurt by it will likely remain a non-subscriber unless they paid for an upgrade to the paid version. Others will either not have experienced this issue because they didn't install it or update it, or they will not know what is causing the problem and will not suspect ES.

Whatever the case they will have suffered a loss in market share and a loss in advertising revenue accordingly. One step forward, two steps back.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too late for me as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Too late, I switched long ago. I prefer file manager of touchwiz

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I switched and I think I like File Manager from ZenUI/ASUS better anyway. Highly unlikely to ever go back. I keep reading positive comments about Solid Explorer so I imagine if I was going to try another one, it would be Solid.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Guess I'm in the minority.
I've never seen any ads or have had any problems with ES, but as I've mentioned before I'm still on version 4.0.2.1. Current version is 4.0.5.3.
I'm sticking with ES.

S5 tap'n

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I've used ES for 5-6 years now, but not anymore after that. Even if they finally got rid of that lockscreen, I still don't trust the new ownership and many of the new annoying "features" and design choices.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have a file explorer that lets you control app permissions? I have no idea why it was taken out in Lollipop and didn't return until Marshmallow, but it's the only app I've found that can do what should be a standard feature.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought Marshmallow gave you the option to control app permissions, not Lollipop, no 3rd party file explorer needed. How to toggle app permissions in Android Marshmallow

S5 tap'n

That's what I was saying. The toggles existed before Lollipop but were removed with it. They are present again in multiple forms in MM, but with Lollipop, ES is the only app I've found that allows them to actually be controlled. If you check the play store there are multiple apps that work with 4.4 and below, but none for Lollipop.

Reactions: cr6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
After uninstalling the ES File Explorer app, has anyone else started receiving spam e-mail asking you to be part of "Shape the future of ES File Explorer"? :mad: