Email notifications of past and old emails

xxspellboundxx

Reaction score
An annoying thing I've found with the droid is that it keeps sending me email notifications of emails from my hotmail account that i've either already read through the motorola droid or emails that are months old from my email account. I thought it's suppose to only sync and notify me of "new" emails not ones from months ago. Does anybody have the same issue? How do I fix this? Thank you

Odysseus

Reaction score
Had the same issue, luckily it's my school address and I didn't have many emails in it, so I just marked them all as read. HUGE pain though.

steveo52

Reaction score
An annoying thing I've found with the droid is that it keeps sending me email notifications of emails from my hotmail account that i've either already read through the motorola droid or emails that are months old from my email account. I thought it's suppose to only sync and notify me of "new" emails not ones from months ago. Does anybody have the same issue? How do I fix this? Thank you

Ditto with my Yahoo e-mail. Very annoying. :icon_cussing:

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is fixed in a software update as it's really a little annoying. I think what needs to happen is there should be a setting so that when you delete on the phone, it syncs with the server and deletes there as well. Obviously, it should be a setting that we could disable, but you get the picture.

trevorl

Reaction score
I have a similar issue. Some e-mails that I previously read on the Droid are being marked as unread whenever e-mails are retrieved from the server. Each time this happens, I get a new mail notification. If I then mark the e-mail as read, during the next update it gets marked as unread and I get the notification again.

It was happening with three e-mails. They were scattered randomly in time (eg: not the most recent ones). I deleted two of these e-mails and they haven't returned, but the one I'm keeping in my inbox keeps getting marked unread. I did notice two of the e-mails had attachments and the third was an HTML e-mail (so may have had a hidden attachment).

Note that I'm using a POP e-mail account with the setting to check every 15 minutes and with the setting to delete e-mail from the server when I delete it from my inbox. This is a dedicated POP account I use just for my cell phone (forwarded from my main account) so no other e-mail client is accessing the account. The security type is set as TLS, if it matters.

If anyone has insight into why this is occurring, or how to fix the problem, let me know. Thanks.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
OK, so I did figure out the setting to delete emails on the server. Long press your email account and then click Account Settings. Click on Incoming Settings and there's an option to Delete email from server. I'm hoping this may help somewhat. Unsure at this time. (was at a motivational seminar all day).

OP
X

xxspellboundxx

Reaction score
Thank you...the most annoying part is the phone sending me notifications of emails that are at least a couple of months old....it actually notified me of an email that was way back in 2007.

However since, my first thread...the phone has stopped sending me notifications period!

cawjr

Reaction score
Same issues here with AOL emails. I get notifications of new mail approx. every 3-5 minutes (no sound, though, even though I have it "on"), but no new messages. Fingers crossed for a software update soon!

jedidroid

Reaction score
same thing happens to me on my comcast email account. worked fine for the first 2 days and then this started happening. no fix as far as I know.
so I just started forwarding all of my comcast emails to my gmail account.
workaround until its fixed

xliderider

Reaction score
OK, so I did figure out the setting to delete emails on the server. Long press your email account and then click Account Settings. Click on Incoming Settings and there's an option to Delete email from server. I'm hoping this may help somewhat. Unsure at this time. (was at a motivational seminar all day).

I already had done that, but was still getting the notifications on old mail on an msn acct. I ended up deleting all the old messages and now, the delete from server is working on the new incoming mail.

I suppose if you don't want to delete your messages you could make a folder and put the mail in there, out of your inbox.

five0five

Reaction score
Thanks jbj...

I was having the same problem, kept getting "new" emails which I had already read and deleted. Changed Incoming Settings as you describe, thus far (one hour later) no old email re-notifications.

jedidroid

Reaction score

I already had done that, but was still getting the notifications on old mail on an msn acct. I ended up deleting all the old messages and now, the delete from server is working on the new incoming mail.

I suppose if you don't want to delete your messages you could make a folder and put the mail in there, out of your inbox.

doesn't work for me. I figured I would give it another shot on my comcast.net email address. I followed what you said and after I delete all of the older emails in my comcast account, checked off delete from server on he droid, the droid email doesn't find any email just gets hung at loading messages.
It refuses to load new unread messages, only keeps going back in time or getting hung up.

I hope come DEC 11th, there is a real fix for this.

Otherwise I have to keep email forwarding on from my comcast to gmail account.

samredman

Reaction score
With, email other than Gmail, for example, Yahoo, the best way is to forward all Yahoo mail to Gmail . Then with Gmail... a delete from Droid removes it from being shown on your Droid and your gmail pc inbox, but it is still archived if you search for it on your pc with Gmail.

But, most important, deleting a forwarded email doesn't delete it on your Yahoo account inbox, if you need it, go there with your pc to view it.

flyingdroid

Reaction score
so if you delete a new message from your gmail account, does it erase the notification on the droid? Is there an app to do this...it's driving me crazy. i have my gmail account open and my phone sits there and the green light keep blinking so I'm not sure if it's a text or new email...and I'm OCD so...

Help.
Thanks.