Email App?

Spartan

Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow me to define my email address in the from section of an email? I use my Droid for both personal and business and I'd like to not give out my personal email address when sending emails from the droid. I'd like to show only my work email address to clients and then use my personal email address for family. Is there such a thing?

MAzing87

Reaction score
I can't add yahoo or aol to the email app. I read somewhere that you needed to turn off wi-fi but mine was never on. I don't mean to hijack ya thread OP but I thought I add to it instead of making up a new one.

But I also would like to know if you can separate the two.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Spartan. I have a personal GMail account and a work account setup and wanted to be able to only show the word replied my work address and vice versa. The way I ended up doing it is to leave GMail in the GMail app and not add it to the Email app.

This of course gets rid of the combined email box and if your personal account isn't gmail then you can't do it this way.

OP
S

Spartan

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Spartan. I have a personal GMail account and a work account setup and wanted to be able to only show the word replied my work address and vice versa. The way I ended up doing it is to leave GMail in the GMail app and not add it to the Email app.

This of course gets rid of the combined email box and if your personal account isn't gmail then you can't do it this way.

My challenge is our IT group hasn't adopted the Droid yet, so I don't have any work email set up on it...just personal. So I need an app that would allow email to show my work address even though its not set up.:icon_question:

keiichi25

Reaction score
Okay... I just did a test and here is what I got for the following...

I set up three e-mail accounts through e-mail, 1 to my corporate e-mail, one to a personal account through my old ISP and 1 through live.com.

I went into the mailbox of my personal one, even though the corporate is set up as default. I did 'compose' in that mailbox and it sent via that Identity for that mailbox. So, you could send e-mail under your work identity, so long as you make sure you are in that mailbox of the identity you want to be known under.

Test it out for yourself by sending yourself an e-mail.

MAzing87

Reaction score
Ok. What am I not doing to have my personal email set up? I have a yahoo and an aol account. Neither one sets up for the email app. Can anyone help?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok. What am I not doing to have my personal email set up? I have a yahoo and an aol account. Neither one sets up for the email app. Can anyone help?
I'm pretty sure these won't setup because yahoo (and maybe aol?) requires you to pay if you want to use pop/imap. It is only free when you visit it in your browser. It is dumb I know, lots of yahoo users have complained but it is yahoos doing, not the Droids.

mact

Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow me to define my email address in the from section of an email? I use my Droid for both personal and business and I'd like to not give out my personal email address when sending emails from the droid. I'd like to show only my work email address to clients and then use my personal email address for family. Is there such a thing?

You can tell droid which email account should be used as the default for sending emails.

open the email window showing the accounts you have defined. One of these accounts will have a little checkmark just to the laft of the folder icon: THAT is your default smtp (sending) account. To change this, select the account you want to be the default then press the menu button at the bottom of the device. lower right is account settings. go in there and you will see "Default account" (4th one down on my phone). check the little box (press and hold briiefly the box until a green checkmark appears.)

that should do it. (if it works as it is supposed to, of course<G>)

mact

Reaction score

aol...AOL has a section called (IIRC) Mobile AOL. In there they give you the smtp and otehr info needed to set up the droid to use your aol address. We did it for my wife and it works. Just be prepared to have 3-6 months worth of aol emails downloaded to your phone (or else go clean up your inbox and spam folders before you do this<G>)

OP
S

Spartan

Reaction score

You can tell droid which email account should be used as the default for sending emails.

open the email window showing the accounts you have defined. One of these accounts will have a little checkmark just to the laft of the folder icon: THAT is your default smtp (sending) account. To change this, select the account you want to be the default then press the menu button at the bottom of the device. lower right is account settings. go in there and you will see "Default account" (4th one down on my phone). check the little box (press and hold briiefly the box until a green checkmark appears.)

that should do it. (if it works as it is supposed to, of course<G>)

Problem is I don't have that account set up. Its my work address and IT won't let me access it yet. So I need it to appear that the email is coming from my work account without really setting it up. I'm stumped, but their must be an app for that!