Fire Alarm needed.

jimisbell

Reaction score
Is there an App to ring a continuous alarm on the Droid X when an email comes in?

The reason is that I am a fireman and we are trying to use our cell phones for an alert system. We can have an email address that is used only for the alarm system and the phones monitor that address for incoming mail. We have a program that will send an email to every firemen that contains the information, place, size, etc. of the fire.

But the only App we can find for an alert, "Gmail Alert" will ring only once every 30 seconds. What we would like to have is an App that would alert with a continuous ring, like an incoming phone call, until the email is viewed. Alerting every 30 seconds might NOT be enough to wake a soundly sleeping person or a person in a high noise environment.

This system is working, but we feel the a 30 second delay between the first and second alert is far to long when lives and property are at stake.

Software to call the audio phone numbers doesnt work because all the software we have found like that stops ringing ALL the phones when the FIRST person answers so the later people to answer dont have a contact to get the information.

bkendrick

Reaction score
You could do this with Tasker...
1. Create sound file for alarm that's over 30 seconds
2. Have Tasker notify with that sound if an email come in from a specified sender.
3. Have Tasker repeat every 30 seconds until you stop it.

Since your sound file is over 30 seconds and Tasker is repeating every 30 seconds then the alarm will be continuous until stopped by the user.

DX. CFU. LIB GB.5

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
That sounds good. But I dont know what Tasker is. As to a specific email, we each just, individually, have a gmail account that is used for NOTHING else. so ANY email coming in from that account we want to alarm.

bkendrick

Reaction score
Search the market for "Tasker". Should be the first match.

DX. CFU. LIB GB.5

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
I wont download it just yet as it costs $6.49 However if my attempt to have the Gmail Notification App (free App) modified to include a continuous ring fails, then I will download Tasker as I see that it WILL work. I have looked at the code for Gmail Notification and it looks like a simple modification, just adding one line of code will fix it. Thanks for the tip.

xan

Reaction score
be careful. depending on the user configurable power settings in different droid handsets, email notification can be set to sleep at night or to check for email only every so often.

I would think custom, hour long, alarm tones for texts from a fire station contact would be more reliable ... and faster.

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
I have checked this App several ways and its working perfectly with instantaneous notification....except for the length of the alarm and I think that can be fixed with only one line of code.

We shall see. We will be testing several systems since our pager company went out of business on the 31st. This one promises to be best but if we find something better we will test that as well. Right now we are testing three systems in parallel. One, is free and the other two need a subscription.

readywoodward

Reaction score
We use 2 different programs for first responders...One is called "Mail Alert", and the app lets you create a filter for the "from" email address, and sounds a custom ringtone. For SMS/Text alerts, we use a free app called FireAlert available as well in the market. It is also fully customizable, and will even override silent or vibrate settings on the phone. We dumped the Gmail Alert last month in favor of these two. You should be able to select between either SMS and/or email alerts with your paging software. Hope this helps, as it has been successful for us.

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
Thanks, I will look into them.

We are currently using a Verizon program that costs $10 a month and sends out a voice mail message that rings the phones and each fireman sets the ringtone he needs.

A funny story, I was using my Wii to do Yoga on the morning the first test came in. It made a weird tone that I had specifically selected. Unfortunately it sounded like something coming from the Wii as it was monotone and the human ear cannot triangulate on a monotone signal. I searched the room trying to find the Wii components and turned them each off as I found them. Then I unplugged the console, all to no avail. After 15 minutes I realized the tone was the new fire alarm. Good thing it was a test and not a fire!!!!