Best email app?

OP
D

djc59

Reaction score
If I link my school act to my gmail, can I have all my school email automatically go in a seperate folder?

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

jhalsey205

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't use this app. I have had a lot of trouble with this app. The app is buggy and even verizon couldn't get it working.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

That more likely a configuration issue. K9 is rock solid and preferred by many power users (whatever that means)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

harrellj

Reaction score
If I link my school act to my gmail, can I have all my school email automatically go in a seperate folder?

Yes, though you'll have to setup filters and labels for it.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

kraxyk

Reaction score

I believe so. But I'm not 100% sure. If not a specific folder I know you can sort or find it by the label or filtering

harrellj

Reaction score

I believe so. But I'm not 100% sure. If not a specific folder I know you can sort or find it by the label or filtering

Gmail doesn't support folders as we know them, instead things are put into labels which appear like folders.

MancavePA

Reaction score
I've been using k9 for about 2-3 months now with no issues. Gmail, imap and a corp exchange acct. Works great.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

SerenityNetworks

Reaction score
I've been using "Improved Email" by "mtwebster" for about five months now. I love it. I tried K9, but found it a bit buggy on both my Droid and Droid2. I've had no real issues with Improved Email. It handles Gmail, POP3, IMAP, other webmail services (Hotmail and the like), etc. I think it handles Exchange servers, but I don't recall. (I use the stock app' for my work's Exchange server, which is one thing the stock app' does well.) Improved Email keeps separate sets of folders (all folders on the server - inbox, outbox, drafts, deleted, plus ones you create) for each account and they are easy to navigate. Plus there is a combined inbox, for a quick review of all mail. It's intuitive to configure. It's easy to single or multiple delete. I like the visual cues better than other app's, although that's purely personal preference.

The only feature that doesn't work on my phone is the feature to color different folders differently, but it is a feature I think would muddy up the interface and I wouldn't use it anyway. The only feature I wish it had is the ability to send mail with a 'reply to' different than the mailbox account. But I've written the author and he is working on it.

Anyway, you might want to check it out.

Andrew
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Mirodd

Reaction score
I have 2 email addresses synced to my phone. My gmail syncs great with the gmail app, but my school address (imap) is synced with the other stock app and it never syncs my emails correctly. Its a microsoft live account. I want an app that can manage both accounts. What is best for that?

Is your school account setup as IMAP or an Exchange account. If it's the former, then try setting it up as an Exchange account.

carbine

Reaction score
Strong believer in K9 here. I've been running it since December last year without any problems. You can even use a PGP/GPG app called AGP which is integrated right into K9's interface. I'm currently running 2 IMAP accounts with SSL/TLS. One for my personal mail server and the other for my army mail. I've never had a problem with K9.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your school email is an exchange account (and if your IT allows android devices/clients) I highly recommend TouchDown. By far the best Android Exchange client out (sorry K9 fans, but K9 doesn't meet the security restrictions of many Exchange servers). It has FULL functionality (nothing that you can't do directly with Outlook that you can't do with TouchDown, Calendars, To-Do, Invites ect).

FYI don't 'ask' your schools IT department... 1-they likely don't actually know (though they will pull an answer out of their a$$) and 2-on the off chance they actually know what you're talking about they may bring the issue the chain (my schools IT is now 'debating' about turning off or restricting access for mobile devices because of the sudden increase in their use....).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Touchdown isn't germane given the OP. Unless there's a new version that handles gmail.

Though, IIRC, ActiveSync is supposedly an option for Live@EDU accounts.

It has FULL functionality (nothing that you can't do directly with Outlook that you can't do with TouchDown, Calendars, To-Do, Invites ect).
I wouldn't go quite that far. I'm not going to do a feature-by-feature review of the two but I'm sure there's plenty that Outlook can do that Touchdown cannot. It is, however, just about as full featured as you can get with Android Exchange clients.

stevenfstein1

Reaction score
can K9 or these other clients undelete mail or move them from folder to folder? Native apps can't and it is a royal PITA!

Thanks.... Steve

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
can K9 or these other clients undelete mail or move them from folder to folder? Native apps can't and it is a royal PITA!

Thanks.... Steve

Don't know about K9 (it doesn't meet the security requirements of my server so it can't connect) but TouchDown WILL do all the actions you mentioned and far more. It's the closest thing to a fully functional exchange client you can currently get on Android (though I've heard the Droid Pro has a 'new' native client I haven't used it so don't know what they fixed). The ability to move to folders was one reason I had to switch from the native client (it really does suck... don't know what the hell Google was thinking with that POS...).

asforel

Reaction score
Check out K9 email. I have 4 email accounts: 3 google apps and a personal gmail (all imap). K9 supports universal inbox and more.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

k9 email, it's greatdancedroid