Email Account on Thunderbird on droid?

searayman

Reaction score
I have my school email account on thunderbird on my desktop. How can I get that email on my droid?

I know I could forward my school email to my gmail etc. but i do not want that because it does not sync both ways to my google account as google will not import from imap only send to imap.

Basically meaning if i forward to gmail then my messages are not synced between thunderbird and my android device. I want it so if i read or delete and email in thunderbird the same actions are mirrored onto my phone.

Are there any apps in which I can do this on?

Thanks!!

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only way to do what you want would be to use something like IMAP instead of POP (if that's what you're currently using). IMAP will sync between your client and the server. POP is usually set up to download the email from the server and not leave it there. But, if you tell your client to leave it on the server, then when you delete something on the client, it still sits on the server taking up space. IMAP though syncs between all of your clients and if you delete something on one client, it will sync that between all IMAP clients.

That is assuming of course, that your school uses IMAP protocol.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Just keep in mind that Thunderbird is just an email "application" you use to connect to your email account at your school. The Droid has an email application you can configure to connect to that account as well. Your desktop and your phone will not sync with each other. You have to find out if your school's system provides POP3 or IMAP prototocls. IMAP would probably work better...as it only pulls down the header (subject, from) and you click on the header to retrieve the actual email. POP3 pulls the email to whatever is asking for the email (phone or computer/thunderbird) and will remove it from your account and have it only on the device you used to retrieve it (unless you configure the application to "leave on server").

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it's an IMAP account as the OP stated then the Droid just needs to be set up with the account info. No need for forwarding, gmail etc.

Setting up an IMAP account on a mail client on the Droid should be pretty much the same as setting up Thunderbird. You specify the servers and your account credentials. If you don't like the stock email app, give K9 a shot.

Last edited:

BDPgolfer

Reaction score
If it's an IMAP account as the OP stated then the Droid just needs to be set up with the account info. No need for forwarding, gmail etc.

Setting up an IMAP account on a mail client on the Droid should be pretty much the same as setting up Thunderbird. You specify the servers and your account credentials. If you don't like the stock email app, give K9 a shot.

I am still learning this phone, and it is great by the way. My company's email is used through Thunderbird also, and it is setup as an IMAP. I added an account through the email icon on the droidx and put in all my information and then did a manual setup to put in all my settings according to what was on my computer. Email addy, email server addy, IMAP, Port and password and I cant get it to work.

I may stop by the Verizon store where I purchased the phone and see if they can help.

If anyone has anymore info on how to do it, I would greatly appreciate it.