Saving Attachments from Email

Erich_F

Reaction score
Awright, using the search feature and other means of research here, I am trying to piece together some capability of Saving an email attachment to my Droid. Be it a Pic, Doc, PDF, XLS, whatever.

I have read the Docs to Go can do this, so I installed it only to find out that you DO have to buy the key to save anything. Uninstalled.

Next, I have read that Touchdown will save any of these types of attachments, and I understand it has a 5 day trial period. I would like to try the capability of Touchdown to save attachments, but is that capability active in the trial version? I'd rather not waste my time like I did with D2G.

Third, I have not found any other App in the Market that simply allows this feature. Astro and Linda File Managers don't do anything to address this either.

I'm very discouraged in the fact that such a basic operation has been left out of the email capability of the Droid, in both the POP email client as well as the GMail App. Was this done purposely for security measures? Who knows?

Lastly, I even found out that forwarding an email that has an attachment does not forward that attachment. That kinda makes forwarding such an email pointless. Does Touchdown also address this capability?

Thanks,
Erich

micp1480

Reaction score
I am shocked that this expensive phone has limited capabilities with its email program. I am just wondering what the engineers who had developed the droid was thinking of when they developed the email program, or better yet, who they were tailoring this droid for, it doesn't appear it was developed for business use, because email functions such as saving attachments, forwarding email, etc......... is a necessity and not a leisure function. I can't wait until someone develops an email program such as Empower Pro like I had on my Blackberry, it worked flawless for me, with no restrictions.

MICP1480

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I used Touchdown and am very happy with it...

Here is a snip form the developers website.

NitroDesk Inc. - TouchDown features

The TRIAL edition on the market allows you to try out the product for 5 days with full functionality. After 5 days, it reverts to a read-only version. You are free to use the read-only version without paying anything. If you are looking for a free solution for simply checking your email, contacts and calendar, the FREE version may be right for you. Especially useful for light users who mostly need to see the current days email and calendar.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
You can save pics from email with k9. Don't know about other file types. I'm not a big fan of k9 though.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
But why should we pay for this?

MICP 1480

Ask the developer if he'll work for free....

I paid for it since it does what I need.

OP
Erich_F

Erich_F

Reaction score
Looks like Touchdown will be in my future. I really like the voice dictation feature. Good info, folks...keep it coming.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Looks like Touchdown will be in my future. I really like the voice dictation feature. Good info, folks...keep it coming.

The Developer also answers email within 24hrs.... He's alway been responsive to questions that I have asked.
He even helped me out when I flashed to 2.1 and Touchdown quit working...Fixed it that Day.

micp1480

Reaction score
It's obvious that Backnblack and I are not on the right track, when I said, " Why Should We Pay or This". I proposed this question in regards to finding a better functional email program, which is due to the lack of the engineers behind the Droid, who developed an email program with limited functionality, which is a total disregarded to the business people who rely on a fully functional email program that is a necessity and not just for leisure. I hope I made myself clear. Thank you.

MICP1480

OP
Erich_F

Erich_F

Reaction score
Mic,

I knew what you meant, that we shouldn't have to buy an external App to supplement a native email client that should have this capability to begin with.

I agree.

I also agree that a truely productive external App shouldn't necessarily be free. You get what you pay for these days.

OP
Erich_F

Erich_F

Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet today and bought the full Documents 2 Go and Touchdown apps. Now that that's done, I have to say I think both were well worth it. I was going to do Touchdown anyways, since my new job will be requiring it for their Exchange service. Docs 2 Go is very nice, though. I did find one oddity, though.

I emailed myself an XLSX (Office Excel 2007 file), and opened the preview with Sheet to Go. It opened the spreadsheet just fine, but the file name was "attachment.xlsx". Looking back at the email, the attachment name was intact. So, when opening an attachment, the file name is ignored and when you save it via D2G, you have to come up with the name.

Also, word wrap in cells does not seem to work, or be an option when formatting a cell in Sheet to Go.

In Slides to Go, the Power Point emulator, some slides do not display entirely correct. Some of the text boxes overlay the margins and master slide info (date, slide #, etc). Also, animations do not function, such as picture entry/exit, boxes and lines, etc. So, flashy animated Power Points don't work as well on Sheet to Go.

Anyways, these are two great apps that I don't have buyer's remorse over...at least not yet :)