Dust under screen; will VZW fix/replace?

eyan414

Reaction score
I bought my Droid 2 Global on January 13th, 2011. Over the last week or so, several specks of dust have managed to work their way under the upper left corner of my touchscreen. I can't tell where they got in, and they're not particularly visible except in very bright situations, but I'd certainly like it if they weren't there.

As far as I can tell from other threads, this is a manufacturing defect for which VZW should replace the phone. I know the period to exchange for a different model was 30 days, but is there a similar period on defects?
I'd like to know for sure before I potentially waste an hour or two driving to the corporate store near me and trying to convince them to replace it.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I didn't buy insurance on the phone; however, this doesn't seem like an insurance issue.

Reaction score
I had this issue on my BB Storm. The best was is to dial customer service, I have found in store agents to be... lets say not helpful, as I could use a few other stronger terms. Tell them the problem and they should be helpful. If not try another agent. Typically a refurbished unit will be sending overnight but if you're polite they may send you a new phone since you're not too far out of the window. You should not have to deal with dirty under the screen as long as (and I assume so) it wasn't due to misuse of any kind.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
E

eyan414

Reaction score
Nope, it's just lived in my pocket for the last two months. Retrospectively, that may not have been the best environment as far as lint was concerned.

I'll give them a call and we'll see what happens.

gumshoe351

Reaction score
I first got a D2 and had it replaced with a certified like new because of dust under the screen. I had other problems with that one so VZW upgraded me to a new in the box D2G. I have had this phone now for ten days and there is dust under the screen AGAIN. Mine is collecting in the top right corner of the phone. What gives. I called the store just a few minutes ago and they told me to bring it in and let a Tech look at it. I dont work in a dusty environment and I never carry the phone in my pocket. Terrible luck I suppose. When I talked to the store manager he told me he hasnt heard of this being a problem and it should not be doing this.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

helmutiffe

Reaction score
I thought they fixed this with the Droid 2 design?

I used to have a Milestone 1, which collected heaps of dust under the screen (mainly in the top-left corner) pretty much from day 1 onwards.

Since November I've been using a Droid 2 Global - used exactly the same way as the Milestone in terms of where it's stored and where it goes.. and there still isn't a single speck of dust visible.